Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokusatsu

Tokusatsu

I was raised on tokusatsu, and I don't just mean Ultraman and Giant Robot. I was more into Kikaida and Rainbow Seven. There's this new wave of tokusatsu satire that's really intriguing me now, like Miike's Zebraman. Anyone seen it?

More to the point, anyone seen Dai-Nipponjin (Big Man Japan)?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kamen Rider

more fighters should wear miniskirts.
    Akina Minami to appear in new 'Kamen Rider' movie
    Monday 09th March, 05:18 AM JST

TOKYO —
    Akina Minami will appear in the film “Kamen Rider Deno & Decade” as a mini-skirted fighter. The new film is set in the Muromachi period in the 15th century, with Kamen Rider battling assorted monsters.

Minami, whose character is an archer, said, “I have been interested in archery for a long time. So I’m very happy to try it. My biggest challenge was the language. Since the time period of the film is different from now, the dialect is also different and difficult to master.”

The film will be released nationwide from May 1.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I like archery.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I like miniskirts.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i like japanese gilrs in mini skirts shooting bows and arrows, then turning into super powered bug monsters that kill aliens.

sounds like something the japanese would do. win

gene

never been a fan of kamen rider, but i did like power rangers when i was younger. i loved ultra man. check out hakaider . this is based off a villian from the Kikaider series.

i have a couple of miiki movies but never saw zeebraman.

you ever hear of kaiju big battle? it started in boston around 2000/2001 i believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Check out our latest e-zine article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Big Man Japan

Trailer

Looks interesting. Nice Kaiju spoof.

Big Man Japan

Not a good review, but I still want to see this...
    Review: 'Big Man Japan'
    G. Allen Johnson, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Friday, May 29, 2009

SNOOZING VIEWER LMAN4
    Comedy. Starring Hitoshi Matsumoto, Riki Takeuchi, Ua. Directed by Matsumoto. (PG-13. 103 minutes. At the Opera Plaza in San Francisco and the Shattuck in Berkeley.)

The concept of the comedy "Big Man Japan" is simple enough - superheroes are people too, with pets, messy houses and failed relationships.

But the film written, directed and starring stand-up comic Hitoshi Matsumoto has, like most superheroes, a tragic flaw: It isn't funny.

In fact, it's quite dull. Most of the movie consists of Daisato (Matsumoto) sitting - yes, sitting; hardly visually interesting - at desks, restaurant tables and park benches talking about his life and his alter-ego. It's done in mockumentary style, with an unseen filmmaker asking questions, and Daisato occasionally going, "turn the camera off."

It's now time, folks, to stop making mockumentaries. What a tired approach.

Anyway, when monsters attack Tokyo, Daisato takes a huge jolt of electricity, swells to enormous skyscraper-size and becomes the title character, a bizarre, tattooed, shock-haired hero who looks amusingly like a cross between a sumo wrestler and that funny-haired guy of Kid 'n Play.

His agent sells advertising space on his expanding chest, and tells him when he fights, "don't cross your arms so much; the sponsors don't like it."

The monsters are ridiculous riffs on the old Toho monsters of the '60s; Matsumoto's creations are creatures such as the Staring Monster, with an enormous eye used as a weapon; and the Stink Monster, and we'll leave that to your imagination.

The effects are cheap and cheesy, like it was made by a sixth-grader on a Mac, and in some quarters that would be a compliment.

It's possible that some of the humor just doesn't translate, but nevertheless the fact remains: "Big Man Japan" has about 15 minutes worth of monster mashing and 90 minutes of lousy mockumentary navel-gazing, never a good thing.

-- Advisory: Gross, disfigured, slimy computer-generated monsters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll wait until I can get it on DVD... like most things. It costs too much to go see movies these days.

Enter our BIG MAN JAPAN online sweepstakes

Enter to win BIG MAN JAPAN on DVD. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 10/13/09. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I thought tokusatsu was a breaded porkchop...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I thought tokusatsu was a breaded porkchop...
    huh?
    that's tonkatsu, i think
    tokusatsu 特撮 【とくさつ】special effects; SFX
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Maybe it's a breaded TenTigers?

Pork Chop just gave away the answer to our sweepstakes question.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Machi Action

Hilarious trailer for ‘Machi Action’ featuring Bolin Chen
    January 15, 2013
    by Kaptain A

Heeee! This looks really cute. I see many conflicting comments of this production. Initially, some say it’s a rip-off of Kamen Rider, but now that they’ve read the plot, it’s more of a parody/tribute to Toku superheroes, focusing on the life of an actor after his superhero show is axed due to low ratings. Watch as Bolin Chen unveils his superhero charisma on the big screen! The film is also highly anticipated because of writer and director, Giddens Ko, who was in charge of last year’s surprise hit You’re the Apple of My Eye.

【變身--全新變身版】正式預告...Machi Action

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Enter to win BIG MAN JAPAN on DVD. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 10/13/09. Good luck everyone!
    I just realized I never posted a link to our winners of this contest here. My bad. Here it is. Better late than never.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kamen Rider thief

If he did the robberies in costume, that would have been truly epic.

Kamen Rider stuntman applies skills to thievery
    Anime News Network 2 days ago

Yasutomo Ihara, a former stuntman known for his participation in the Kamen Rider franchise, has since turned his training to nefarious ends. In a story seemingly grafted from a J-drama, he was arrested on September 8 by Saitama Prefecture’s Criminal Investigations Unit for 43 separate counts of theft. His method involved scaling walls by slipping his fingers into tiny indentations and entering houses through their second-floor windows, earning him the nickname “Spiderman” from the investigators. His targets were in the neighboring Saitama Prefecture cities of Warabi and Toda.

Ihara’s career as a stuntman came to an end five years ago when he hurt his knee. Since then, he’s pursued an acting career, but the costs of acting lessons drove him to shady means of earning a living. Ihara trained for his burglaries in a park during the day and could be seen biking around the area scoping out empty houses, earning him a reputation as a “tall, good-looking man on the prowl.” Investigators traced his footsteps in the park, eventually uncovering some of the stolen items.

Ihara’s crimes spanned the period from November 2013 to June 2014. He stole 6.7 million yen in cash (about $63,600) and 450 possessions, totaling 8.2 million yen overall (about $77,800). Factoring in his indictment, Ihara owes 8.9 million yen (or about $84,500). He admits to the charges.

Ihara’s filmography includes Kamen Rider OOO, Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider OOO & W Featuring Skull: Movie War Core, Kamen Rider W Returns, and Tensou Sentai Goseiger, another tokusatsu series.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips