Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yes lets be honest

yes lets be honest

all martial arts, mma, tma or otherwise are useless cause a 45 will end you no matter what you know or who you trained with. so enough of the mma vs. tma. the reality is if you studied more then one martial art in your life, you know mma, which stands for mixed martial arts last time i looked. its cross training, we've all done it. end

correct, just most assaults on people dont happen with guns for obvious reasons(prison sentences etc) they happen with fists and while people still use martial arts functionally(or try to)

the mma vs tma argument will still be relevant
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

good training methodologies vs bad training methodologies will always be relevant.

style vs. style arguments, based upon the assumption that each parties thraining methods are up to modern standards, is always just a preference argument. regardless of whether people understand that or not.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I hear ya doug and understand the intent of your post. I personally don't engage in the back and forth about this style that style, mma v tma, pwnage, etc. Some people get off on that and that's cool for them. No worries.
    But yeah, not sure about gun violence in other countries but here it's a good chance of getting shot trying to engage in fisticuffs. I'm not speaking for all areas, just saying i know where doug is coming from. Quite a few nasty h0m0cides here
    have marred the new year. Star hs football player ready to leave on full scholarship was just gunned down over a fistfight behind a girl.
    In other words, people still fight with their hands??
    no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream...

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    all martial arts, mma, tma or otherwise are useless cause a 45 will end you no matter what you know or who you trained with.
    As long as it remains true that, at close range (<20ft or so, going by the standard of the local PD), a skilled guy using a knife has the combat advantage over a guy with a gun, it's inaccurate to say martial arts are "useless" simply because of the existence of guns. This is not to mention that most people still assault each other with bare hands or simple weapons, most gunshot victims survive (and, particularly given that you're more likely to get shot with a 9mm than a 45, many victims don't even realize they've been shot until after the fight is over), etc etc etc.

The street efficacy of martial arts (TMA or MMA) certainly has changed as weaponry has evolved, but it is wildly inaccurate to suppose that it's somehow vanished entirely.

Yes, firearms are a HUGE factor.
    Are you carrying one right now?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yes, firearms are a HUGE factor.
    Are you carrying one right now?
    Not carrying one, don't own one. Been thinking about buying one for a while now, but considering how few of my friends/family members own them (almost zero), I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of what to look at getting. Any thoughts?

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Not bad, but do they come in blue and white? I want it to match my kung fu uniform.

As I have said before on various threads on this forum. I pretty much subscribe to what my previous Sifu told me. "A good martial artist always carries a gun"

Back in the day of kung fu, a fighter carried with him various weapons. Those weapons are now obsolete or illegal to carry in the open to a certain extent.

I am fortunate enough to live in a state that still somewhat recognizes the 2nd Ammendment of the US Constitution. So I do own firearms and hold a valid Concealed Handgun Permit.

I also do not take this responsibility lightly. I constantly train to use my firearm and keep up with the laws, as well as shoot frequently to keep up my skills.

Martial is about fighting and defending. It should not be limited to your limbs only. Specially in todays environment.

Now if you live in a nanny state/country where your goverment do not feel law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves by any means necessary, well.....sucks to be you.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    Not bad, but do they come in blue and white? I want it to match my kung fu uniform.
    hehe, im sure you can order the delux patriot model, of course then you will have some red mixed in there.

i own one, have a carry license(extremely hard to get here in nyc **** near impossible unless of course you know a judge ) but have yet to carry it and only have used it at the range. frankly, im not a fan. but i had two amazing ma friends, get into fights beat the guys only for the guys to come back and gun them down. i remember there was a wing chun guy phil i believe who comes on this board, whose son was in a similar situation fortunately he survived, only one of my friends did. but thats not the point of the topic the point is. people dont get that its the person not the style, and many of us have stated this till we are blue in the face, all to no avail. so now i put the supreme style gun fu. and idk about all that knife being superior then a gun in close range cause i would never bring a knife to a gun fight. cause though u may get a stab in one bullet and its over. i dont risk my life when guns are involved unless i know they are going to kill me. and trust me you'll know if you ever been in that situation.

Self-Defense Strategies:

1. Stay away from sketchy places
    2. Don't talk a bunch of trash
    3. Carry gun
    4. Carry knife
    5. Fight well

Some combination of these has generally carried me through.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i own one, have a carry license(extremely hard to get here in nyc **** near impossible unless of course you know a judge ) but have yet to carry it and only have used it at the range. frankly, im not a fan. but i had two amazing ma friends, get into fights beat the guys only for the guys to come back and gun them down. i remember there was a wing chun guy phil i believe who comes on this board, whose son was in a similar situation fortunately he survived, only one of my friends did. but thats not the point of the topic the point is. people dont get that its the person not the style, and many of us have stated this till we are blue in the face, all to no avail. so now i put the supreme style gun fu. and idk about all that knife being superior then a gun in close range cause i would never bring a knife to a gun fight. cause though u may get a stab in one bullet and its over. i dont risk my life when guns are involved unless i know they are going to kill me. and trust me you'll know if you ever been in that situation.
    Fair enough, and I fully agree about the important factor being the individual rather than the style.

Full disclosure: I've never been personally involved in an altercation with firearms involved. I know several people who have, and who have been shot at (and in some cases, shot), often repeatedly. I derive most of my information about firearm-inclusive altercations from them, as well as various statistics and sources such as the local police department, who have a standing policy that shooting a knife-armed suspect at 25ft in self-defense is acceptable, as a quick, skilled person with a knife can actually cover that distance and attack before the officer has time to draw and aim.

not to mention they can always just through the knife. but police like to shoot people with wallets, so idk if they are a reliable source.