Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK all you Mantis guys

rogue Guest

OK all you Mantis guys

Ok bug boys you've got my interest. You guys are either too cocky for your own good or you have one heck of a system. So, what's the difference between the Mantis styles and who puts out the best tapes for your system?

Please don't turn this into a flame war between PM styles, I just want the facts not politics.
    Thanks in advance all.

I used to be daga

mantis108 Guest

Interesting....

How did we interest you?

You are right that Tai chi Praying Mantis is hell of a system. Tai Chi Praying Mantis, Rocks!!!!!

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

8stepsifu Guest

No way 8 Step Rocks...

and your Sifu...whover his is, is a fraud :rolleyes:
    Anyway I think your best bet would be to find a 7* Mantis tape because thats the most prevalent Mantis Style. I'm guessing Brendan Lai has something good. I don't know in any other Mantis Styles have tapes. There will be an 8 Step tape coming out, but it's still in production. There are some bad Mantis Videos out there so beware. I saw one for "Tai Mantis" that was laughable at best. I don't know what Tai Mantis is. Does it have anything to do with Tai Chi Mantis? There was also some big eared guy claiming to know all Mantis styles. He claimed to know 8 Step, what he showed was shlock, some bits and pieces of actual forms, and used a flury of random hits to demonstrate it. We had a good laugh at it, and he was told to stop and did, but if there are any of those floating around THATS NOT 8STEP!

8Step Sifu

theghola Guest

Glad to see you're interested...

I have no idea where got the idea that all of us are really cocky (I hope I don't come across that way...since I'm not exactly very good, hehe), but if it got you interested, I guess that's a good thing, no?
    I myself am unsure as to the specific differences between the styles. I do know that my own style, Tai Chi Mantis, is very similar to Seven Star Mantis (aka 7*)... From what I've heard, there simply aren't any good videos on Northern Mantis out there. I do know that my sifu has written several books on some of the forms (they also include small chapters delving on the basic philosophies/techniques, and training methods in mantis). I believe they are named after the respective forms: "Plum Blossom Hand," "Steals the Peach," "Spear Hand," and "Bong Po." I've skimmed through all of them, and from what I've read they are all very good (although they obviously do not delve into the more advanced stuff, heh). Of course, this is a shameless plug for my own sifu, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. =P Then again, the books come with recommendations from the following people: Pui Chan, Wai Hong, and Kam Yuen (I could swear that there were several more...including Raymond Wong and Wong Jack Man...but I don't have the book with me, and only those three are mentioned on the Tai Mantis Website...). I would put a "sifu" in front of these names, but I realized that they aren't my sifu, hehe. Also, I believe that these books are solely on the Seven Star system, as my sifu does not wish to write books on Tai Mantis at this time (I think it has something to do with the elders in the system... He feels that he doesn't have the right to, since there are those who are higher than he is(?) Someone should know more about this.). Anyway, I've ranted enough. It's 1:00am in the morning here...

cha kuen Guest
    8 step,

The Tai Mantis video that you saw was by Scott Cohen. He is not traditional tai mantis. (tai mantis is the same as tai chi mantis) If I saw one 8 step student perform , does that mean I can judge all of you?

Stumblefist Guest

Mantis eats the peach

The best tapes are my secret tapes and they're not for sale. :)
    Mantis rocks because we have LoHan Gong to basic strenthen our bodies.
    Also our basic forms introduce graded movements that teach us the use of the whole body as any solid kung fu should and thus we are prepared to practice ANY sport and we self-know HOW to train the body for any activity.
    So we really have learned gongfu: skill.

ShaolinMantis Guest

same

8stepsifu:
    "and your Sifu...whover his is, is a fraud "

I hope this was a joke right???!!! sometimes things get misunderstood in print...

theghola :
    You must be a Sidai of mine from Eng Sifu's school .
    That would make these people to you -
    Kam Yuen-Sisuk
    Raymond Wong-SiSuk
    Wong Jack Man-SiGung or Tai Sifu

ShaolinMantis-I

jediman Guest

Mantis

Rogue,
    I don't know if you have seen Secrets of the Warrior's Power before, but it gives an interesting look at several styles of Kung Fu. It aired on the Discovery Channel, and I believe the documentary has a web site.

Anywho, there are many styles in the program; one of which is Wah Lum. Grandmaster Chan is featured doing Plum Flower posts, several weapons and some forms. This is my style and I find it quite challenging and rewarding. As compared to other styles, I have no idea. Much of mantis work is fluid and strength-oriented. All kung fu is incredible IMO. There are also many weapons forms. Also, watch Master Pan in the video. Very impressive stuff

BeiTangLang Guest

Not all systems have...

Lo Han Gong.....actually most of them DO NOT have it as taught in mainland China. The group that does have it is also refered to sometimes as being "Hong Kong" Mantis.....I'll let you figure out the lineage.
    -BTL

"If you eat bitter, you will taste bitter..."

mantis108 Guest

Tai and Tai Chi

LOL... Good one 8steps.

To be honest, my first impression of TCPM and my mentor Galen Fok's club was that they were cocky. And later when I return to HK, in Sigung Chui's Kwoon, I met some more cocky folks. But all these people turned out to be the friendliest, caring and a lot of fun to keep company. They share their knowledge indiscrimintly. For them there are not secrets in KF but details. Their mannors are so straight forward that give them that kind of cocky appearance. In reality, they are just at ease being themselves. This, I think, is the down to earth no nonsense approach training that gives them this self confidence. I am not going to say how good we are. I am just going to say come along and train. See for yourselves.

As for the Tai Mantis and Tai Chi Praying Mantis, it is sad that not more material in video format is availble. I have never seen the Tai Mantis videos nor another video tapes, so I can't comment on it. Love to view it though. I have always encouraged our brothers to address the Tai Chi Praying Mantis with its full name because it points to the fact that TCPM is both a hard and soft styles and is a respect we show to our style. Tai Mantis would cause confussion. But then, that just me.

Rogue,

What exactly would you consider a good Mantis video tape to be?

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

8stepsifu Guest
    yes it was a joke. no I didnt think he represented tai mantis

8Step Sifu

Taijimantis Guest

Tai Chi Praying Mantis

When I first came to my Sifu's class I thought there was like, Praying Mantis, and Wing Chun kung Fu. <Chuckle>
    What I found was an old man capable of extraordinary feats I had only seen on old Kung Fu movies.

Over time I had questions, and I was encouraged to ask and to seek the answers for myself.

I came across Sihings Mantis108 and Shaolin Mantis and they put me in contact with many other practitioners such as Jack Wong (not the Jack Wong who fought Bruce Lee as far as I know.)And gave me insight on Sigung, Eng Sifu Fok Sifu and others.
    My Sihing in Hawaii translated doccuments for me, my Sihing here in Michigan helps me Tuesday and Thursday Mornings in his studio, and I have met and become part of a close knit family of martial artists and people who will bend over backwards to help.

Ly Sifu himself is an example of compassion and understanding unlike any I have ever seen. His martial skill is unsurpassed by any I have seen in competition, training, film or otherwise. His knowledge transends the combat skill or that of Chi power into health and spirituality.

My brothers and sisters have lived up to the criteria Ly Sifu has told me are the attributes a practitoner of Tai Chi Praying mantis should live up to.

Compassion, honesty, integrity, generosity, and unparalleled excellence in martial practice.

From the examples I have seen both here and in the kwoon, Mantis is where I will maintain my focus. I may continue to study Tang Soo Do or wrestling as hobbies for competition and for fun. I may even decise to teach TSD later in life.
    But Mantis Kungfu is where my heart is and spirit.

--Taiji Mantis

rogue Guest
    Mantis 108, that's a heck of a good question. I've never seen Mantis in action and that's why I'm asking. I guess the vid would have a form, some self defense and a bit of history. Just an overview of the style.

Stumblefist Guest

beitanglang

Taiwan doesn't belong to mainland China yet.

BeiTangLang Guest

??

What does Taiwan have to do with the price of tea in Hong Kong??

"If you eat bitter, you will taste bitter..."