Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Funny how gas is cheap after 8years bush

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    You might want to rethink that. Although medicine might get to the point where they could keep a body alive for that many years the problem is the aging of the brain. I've read a few articles that the absolute upper limits would be 120-130 years old(And that's pushing it) because after that the brain just goes.
    I dont know dude... I eat a lot anti-oxidents

Actually though, I am a complete techno-futurist. Not to hijack the thread, but I believe that eventually humans will be more machine than animal. Now whether that includes the brain... well never say never I guess. I still think we are a generation or 2 away though. I guess you could put me in the camp of Ray Kurzweil, although maybe not to the same level.

I am not banking on it though... call it wishfull thinking.

the aging stuff is interesting. I may try to read up a little more on it. I read an article two years ago that stated one of the key controls of aging, in a sense, is centromere size and the size of the "bookends" of DNA strands. The number of times a cell can repilcate is dependent upon that size, as it diminishes with each replication. If science can figure out how to maintain or perhaps even increase the size of the those components, some scientists beleive will unbeleivably lengthen life span.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I am a complete techno-futurist.... I guess you could put me in the camp of Ray Kurzweil, although maybe not to the same level.
    Kurzweil.... futurist.....

New school to study ways to harness tech's power
    Email this Story

Feb 3, 6:20 PM (ET)

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Technology is changing the world so rapidly that even geniuses need help making sense of it all.

That's the idea underlying Singularity University, an unconventional school that will host its first class of 30 graduate students this summer. They will take a nine-week course exploring ways to ensure technology improves mankind's plight instead of harming it.

Singularity's founders planned to unveil the school's grand ambitions Tuesday in Long Beach, Calif. at the annual Technology, Entertainment and Design conference, known as TED.

The school will be based on NASA's Silicon Valley campus and revolve around the concept that the exponential advances occurring in various fields should be melded to solve daunting problems like poverty, famine, disease, global warming and dwindling energy supplies.

"The law of accelerating returns means technology eventually will be a million more times powerful than it is today and cause profound transformation," said futurist Ray Kurzweil, whose 2005 book, "The Singularity Is Near," inspired the school's name.

If people can't wrap their brains around what lies ahead, society could be overwhelmed by the upheaval, said technology forecaster Paul Saffo, who will be part of Singular University's faculty.

"One of our greatest challenges is to get people to anticipate the consequences of our inventions and how they can upset the apple cart," Saffo said.

Kurzweil, who will be Singularity University's chancellor, began discussing the concept for the school two years ago with Peter Diamandis, who chairs the X Prize Foundation and co-founded the International Space University in 1987.

Singularity University found a home last September when NASA agreed to let the school use some of the buildings on its Ames Research Center, which is located near prominent Silicon Valley companies like Google Inc. (GOOG) (GOOG), Yahoo Inc. (YHOO) (YHOO), Intel Corp. (INTC) (INTC) and Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO) (CSCO)

The central location is expected to make it easier for Singularity University to attract guest lecturers from top technology companies, as well as raise money for its cause.

Google already has contributed at least $250,000 to the university and several other major companies plan to follow suit, Diamandis said.

The nine-week tuition at Singularity will be $25,000, but it will take more than money to gain admission. The university intends to focus on the brightest students who "have an interest in addressing big issues," Diamandis said.

Students will be required to spend three weeks immersing themselves in 10 fields of study, including computing, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, energy, law and finance. Another three weeks will be spent delving even deeper into one of the 10 fields before devoting the final three weeks to a special project.

Those who successfully navigate the curriculum will receive certificates of completion. The school also hopes to arrange for students to receive class credits that can be transferred to fully accredited universities.

Applications will be accepted through the school's Web site, , beginning Tuesday.http://www.singularityu.org

Although this summer's first session will be limited to 30 students, Singularity University plans to accept 120 students next year. The school also intends to offer three-day and 10-day programs aimed more at corporate executives and other professionals.

Given Singularity University's hefty tuition, the recession could make it difficult for the school to gain traction.

But Diamandis bets that technology can help heal the economy by hatching breakthroughs that will generate new jobs and create more wealth.

"If anything, this kind of university is needed more than ever right now," he said. "We expect the next generation of multibillion-dollar companies to come out this university."

(This version CORRECTS that Google has donated at least $250,000 to Singularity)

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    the cost of food did not increase primarily due to the rise in gas prices (although that did contribute) , but rather surged when the US began pushing its biofuels agenda, which caused farmers worldwide to switch in large numbers from food crops to ethanol crops; as a result, there was less availability of wheat, rice, etc.; coupled with what was deemed from an agricultural perspective some of the worst weather in a long time, prices went through the roof; so gas decreasing is not what's driving the price, it's basic supply / demand
    Meh. I'm calling B.S. on this one. The cost of food went up because of inflation. The cost of everything has gone up. If the price is based on the stock market, that cost will fluctuate. While food is baought and sold on the stock market, it isn't something people buy futures in, so it's price is more or less stable. Climes with inflation, but still stable. As mu proof for the bio fuel excuse being B.S, I submit the fact that our government still pays farmersto not plant certain acreage.... If we's willing to destroy ecology for offshore drill to posible, someday, save a few bucks of gas, we'd be farming that farm land to save a few bucks on food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it