Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Funny how gas is cheap after 8years bush

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Is that an example of "the new math"?
    LOL. I was at a superbowl party when I posted that. You'll have to excuse my numbers, there. Nevertheless, the price per barrel dropped from over $120 to around $40 in a relatively short amount of time.

Most people I work with in the oil industry say that the natural price of crude should be about $55/barrel.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Ok, so you know about supply and demand, congratulations. You qualify for your GED.
    Sadly, that's more than alot of the people discussing this topic know.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Let's just assume for a minute that the oil speculators caused this. Let's say the huge gas/oil prices last summer were 100% their doing.

How is that President Bush's fault?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL. I was at a superbowl party when I posted that.
    "A likely excuse!"
    (although I don't think I'd schlep a laptop to one of those parties)

You'll have to excuse my numbers, there. Nevertheless, the price per barrel dropped from over $120 to around $40 in a relatively short amount of time.
    I think it was a bit over $140 at its peak.

Most people I work with in the oil industry say that the natural price of crude should be about $55/barrel.
    That wouldn't all that horrible......
    Of course, that price doesn't take anything else (like ME shenanigans) into account...

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Let's just assume for a minute that the oil speculators caused this. Let's say the huge gas/oil prices last summer were 100% their doing.

"Good question!"
    I'm inclined to blame every "politician" that takes "campaign contributions" from those speculators for not putting some suitable laws in place to prevent the most egregious abuses of said "speculation".

You claim you know S&D but you sure didn't show it in your posts. No talk about the elasticity of price, no talk about the lack of subtitution for oil, the extreme rapid fall of the price and finally, you left out one entire half of supply and demand by not recognizing the control of supply by the oil producers...........Me thinks you need to go back to econ class.

How is this Bush's fault....... Have you ever heard the term "Laissez-faire"? For the last eight years the Bush government has done as much as they could to lift any and all restrictions on Wall Street and for those they can't lift they turn a blind eye to. Of course, on occasion, he gave public speeches where he promised to get tough on Wall Street while winking and smiling at the brokerage houses......Of course with no guard on the hen house they are going to take off with as many eggs as they can carry......unfortunately that's human nature.

What's worst, the new leader of the GOP, Rush Limbaugh thinks we need even less control......

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    what agrevates me is that they had to raise the price of food to accomadate the rise in gas to deliver.......understandably so... but now that the price of gas to deliver is cheaper why is the food cost the same??????
    There is a lag time to catch back up to the new cheaper prices, don't forget though that harvesting costs, production costs, and transportation costs all went up. However, a friend of mine that owns an auto repair shop told me that once gas prices drop, manufacturers and wholesalers generally don't drop their shipping charges back down to what they were once that they have raised them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    the new leader of the GOP, Rush Limbaugh

Why do you feel the need to lie, comrade?

Let's not forget...

Enron
    Tyco International
    Adelphia
    Peregrine Systems
    WorldCom
    Plus, all the failed mortgage giants.

There has been a massive culture of corporate corruption over the last 8 years.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

This is what I love about politics, everyone is right and 3everyone is wrong.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Let's not forget...

Enron
    Tyco International
    Adelphia
    Peregrine Systems
    WorldCom

And all those companies gave EXCLUSEVELY to Bush and/or the Republicans?

How is Obama going to fix this? Are tax cheats good at cleaning up corporate America? Maybe those lobbyists he has in his Cabinet are gonna clean it up!

MK, you may want to look up Terry McAuliffe and Global Crossing. That will put all of this 'Bush and his oil buddies' garbage to shame.
    Last edited by 1bad65; 02-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

How soon we forget

Let's not forget...

Let's not forget!

Here is Bush and the Republicans trying to get MORE OVERSIGHT into Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Watch how they are called racists for trying to do so. Remember, Barney Frank (D-MA) was sleeping with an executive from one of those companies too. At the end we get to see Bill Clinton admit that the Democrats are to blame for the whole mess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL36nwCSYUM

Let's not forget!

Here is Bush and the Republicans trying to get MORE OVERSIGHT into Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Watch how they are called racists for trying to do so. Remember, Barney Frank (D-MA) was sleeping with an executive from one of those companies too. At the end we get to see Bill Clinton admit that the Democrats are to blame for the whole mess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL36nwCSYUM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvtvcBKgIQ

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    There is a lag time to catch back up to the new cheaper prices, don't forget though that harvesting costs, production costs, and transportation costs all went up. However, a friend of mine that owns an auto repair shop told me that once gas prices drop, manufacturers and wholesalers generally don't drop their shipping charges back down to what they were once that they have raised them.
    this sort of thing is definitely true and a bunch of BS on the part of a lot of people.

back in 2003/2004 when we had the first (i think) spike in gas prices i was working as a Facilities Mgr for a private school and all my subs started adding $20-$40 dollar 'fuel surcharges' that never went away.

the company I work for now charges a minimum of $55 to bring a van and a tech to your house within the city limits and then the labor charge starts...imo, we charge about quadruple what it actually costs to make the 'trip'.

everyone is just greedy...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The cab company I work for does the same thing. They changed all the meters and posted notices about a "temporary fuel surcharge" making all the per-mile charges higher. They even posted a definite date at which the surcharge was supposed to go away. Never did, even though the expiration date was right when the price of gas was at its lowest.