Thread: TCPM Kung Lik Kuen application

mantis108 Guest

TCPM Kung Lik Kuen application

Here's a sequence of moves form Kung Lik Kuen:

Downward punch (there's another version but the application is different)

Jade Ring lower block

Spinning Back Fist

Basic interpretation is a striking move, but there is a more advanced application against a clinch. Application is to follow this post.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

mantis108 Guest

Application

General disclaimer: Mantis108 and/or any Tai Chi Praying Mantis also known as Taiji Praying Mantis practitioner will not be responsible in any manner and/or any form for any damage and/or any injury as a result of practicing and/or applying the following application in part or in whole.

1. I fiented a middle line jab which Allan quickly intercepted.

2. He proceed to clinch me

3A He is fast with his knee strike. I can only put up a defense.

3B I respond faster then his knee attack. Note the positions of my hands are reminisent of the form. My right has seized his pressure point near the collar bone. This move took his short knee (the lead) strike away. My left is free to launch an offense or defense.

4. Timed his long knee (the rear) strike and use the Jade Ring lower block and hooked behind his knee. Note that my left is clinching him (not the same in the form).

5. Spin out of the Jade Ring stance, take him down and finish with a stirke. If you feel like grappling, you can go with an arm bar. Have a blast!

This version of Kung Lik Kuen belongs to Tai Chi Praying Mantis. There are other versions of Kung Lik Kuen and may not interpret the move in the same manner. Forms do have a lot to offer if only we would look harder. :) I don't have the hardware nor the software to stream the video clip that we took, yet. I am hopeful that soon we will be able to have some clips on our TCPM website.

Mantis108

[This message was edited by mantis108 on 04-29-01 at 01:52 PM.]

cha kuen Guest
    Robert,

I am looking for free sound effects to download. I am taking a film, camera , editing clasa. For our project I will be choreographing a fight scene. I need some sound effects!!!!

Anyone with website addresses that actually have fighting sound clips, please help!

THanks

mantis108 Guest
    Movie project? Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I am not an adept in the technology area. Hope someone can offer you more help. Good Luck.

Mantis108

LawClansman Guest
    Good going Robert,
    Constructive use of the forum is getting rare these days.

Sifu Carl

wisdom mind Guest

cha kuen

email me at unifury@hotmail.com i do souind work, if i get credit on the film then maybe we can work sumting out!

peace

email me what you are looking for.

mantis108 Guest

Sifu Carl

Thank you, my friend. you are very inspirational when it comes to sharing. I hope your good work on your website would continue to inspire others to show that Praying Mantis styles are about muscles not just mouths!

Mantis108

Sharky Guest
    Why not record the sound effects yourself? I know that for b lee films, to get the hitting sound, they would get a but knife or a hammer, and smash a piece or fruit - like a small melon or something. Thats what makes the thwwwack sound. Otherwise hook your vcr up to ur pc and record some sounds off whatever ma films you have at your disposal.

Edd

shaolin_knight Guest

Kung Lik Kuen

Is this Gong Li Chuan in Mandarin? From the Jing Wu(Ching Mo) Long Fist basic forms? I noticed a lot of schools use these forms, like eagle claw and mantis. Must have a lineage from Jing Wu!

cha kuen Guest
    Yes it's the same form that Jing Mo uses to teach basics.

mantis108 Guest

Jing Wu's Kung Lik Kuen

Hi Shaolin Knight,

Welcome aboard. Yes, as Cha Kuen has said Kung Lik (Gong Li) is from Jing Wu. Sigung Chui was an instructor of Jing Wu School. The TCPM version is played a bit differently from other version. Dr Yang's version came to mind. It's quite different from our version in some moves and their applications. In Sigung's HK Kwoon, there is 2 Jing Wu's hand form - Gong Lik Kuen and Jeet Keun.

Mantis108

8stepsifu Guest
    omg....we have the same application. Kewl.

Must be cuz were mantis guys. That jade ring (reverse uppercut as we call it) is great after a stealing hands technique. We usually do it to the groin in a crossing leg stance to prepare for a throw. Like the inside touch knee throw you demonstrated.

We also drill spining backfist the same way....same short form. Jade ring, spining backfist.

It was very interesting to see that the application didn't involve the strike itself, but the same waist movement. Our are the same. However in my haste to learn the "good stuff" like what you posted I neglected the combat value of the spining backfist from a crossing leg stance and worked at it to make it effective for me. Just as a strike its very effective and suprising, but using that turning power takes excellent rooting and balance which are harder to maintain in the heat of the fight.

Take the world lightly, and your spirit will not be burdened. Consider everything minor, and your mind will not be confused. Regard death and life as equal, and your heart will not be afraid.