Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Mantis Groundfighting.

Northern Mantis Groundfighting.

Hello,

I have come across references to Northern Mantis groundfighting techniques. The Wing Chun lineage that I practice has its own genuine ground fighting techniques and my sifu had told me that other major kung fu styles also have their own.

The first time that I heard about Northern Mantis ground fighting was in a magazine letters´ section where a 7 Star Mantis practitioner from Singapore mentioned that in his kung fu school the ground fighting aspects were trained as part of their curriculum.

Recently, the forum member EarthDragon who practices 8 Step Praying Mantis mentioned Mantis groundfighting. This made me very curious as I would like to learn more about how this style(s) of kung fu approach this area of combat.

So I would be grateful to see more info about this from EarthDragon and others who practice Northern Mantis.

Thanks in advance.

Hardwork108

P.S. Sorry if this subject has come up before.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 02-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    The Wing Chun lineage that I practice has its own genuine ground fighting techniques .

And how are you doing with those?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    .01 on the troll meter

Roy, are you sure you aren't ready to retire????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

My first thought after seeing this topic... this is going to have Threeharmonies flying out of his mawashi! Fire at will Jake, fire at will!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I believe that most systems have techniques when fighting from a fallen position. Most fights usually end up on the ground, so it would be foolish to not have knowledge of what to do when this happens. While some systems spend almost all of thier time in these positions to say that kung fu does not is way off base.
    when the UFC came about and starting becoming popluar my kung fu brother who was a born fighter asked our teacher to train him so he could enter. He said if you want to enter that type of competition you must train mantis on the ground.... we looked at each other and said but kung fu doesnt have ground techniques.. he said all complete systems have this otherwise they are not complete.
    We would train to engage in sparring then to a jointlock then to a throw, then follow our opponent to the ground and proceed to use another lock untill one of us tapped. thios went on for months. sometimes we would start on the ground and work from the top or the bottom. while some of the techniques taught were definatly not kung fu looking my teacher said that to win that type of fighting you must fight and train the waty they do.
    He went on to win his bouts in UFC 6 &7 seven being the bloodiest UFC match in history
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Talking

ROTFLMAO - Great one Jim
    Well, my mawashi is in the mawashi-machine, and frankly I have given up! People can believe what they wish! My words, nor my experience matter much to those set in their ways. To each their own!

Cheers
    Jake

(flying out of my Mawashi..... that's funny **** right there!!)
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Hey Jake, glad you have a sense of humor today! Sumo, what a way of life. Eat, drink, train, girls...
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I have a sense of humor everyday bro! Some of y'all just don't care for it

Don't forget the mandatory Sumo nap!
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I believe that most systems have techniques when fighting from a fallen position. Most fights usually end up on the ground, so it would be foolish to not have knowledge of what to do when this happens. While some systems spend almost all of thier time in these positions to say that kung fu does not is way off base.
    when the UFC came about and starting becoming popluar my kung fu brother who was a born fighter asked our teacher to train him so he could enter. He said if you want to enter that type of competition you must train mantis on the ground.... we looked at each other and said but kung fu doesnt have ground techniques.. he said all complete systems have this otherwise they are not complete.
    We would train to engage in sparring then to a jointlock then to a throw, then follow our opponent to the ground and proceed to use another lock untill one of us tapped. thios went on for months. sometimes we would start on the ground and work from the top or the bottom. while some of the techniques taught were definatly not kung fu looking my teacher said that to win that type of fighting you must fight and train the waty they do.
    He went on to win his bouts in UFC 6 &7 seven being the bloodiest UFC match in history
    Thank you EarthDragon. I have not reached the groundfighting aspects of Siu Lam Wing Chun yet but I know that even on the ground the Wing Chun principles are adhered to using strikes and chin-na techniques.

It is so good to hear of Kung fu schools that teach complete systems completely!

If more schools did this then perhaps there would not be so much misunderstanding about the art(s) of kung fu that we see nowadays.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i had always heard that Sutton trained in other stuff prior to his UFC fight(s) not denying his kung fu roots but...

Jake: we agree on this one, i think
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I have not reached the groundfighting aspects of Siu Lam Wing Chun .

But that hasn't stopped you from telling people with many, many, many times more experience grappling than you have experience with ANYTHING, what they do or do not know.

Jesus!!! Now the Wing Chunners are coming over to the Mantis group spreading their drama! Plenty of drama with the Mantis folks, leave us be please!!
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Jesus!!! Now the Wing Chunners are coming over to the Mantis group spreading their drama! Plenty of drama with the Mantis folks, leave us be please!!
    LOL !
    Well said !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Oso,
    If you are going to go into a cage type fight i would say that you wouod be foolish not to cross train. He did work a little with Kin tora judo guys and with some boxing coaches. But I can assure you shyun taught us ground fighting, I know becuase I was Joels partner in SF when he was training. Now weather or not the ground fighting that he taught was tradional 8 step we will never know, but it did incorporate our joint coks and throws and flowed seemlessly like all mantis does from the attack to the finish.

I remember a newspaper in S.F doing a story about him entering into the newly created UFC and the story was about tradional kung fu in this event
    The photographer caught a picture of him pushing a water filled 55 drum up a hill.
    Now many people will say this technique doesnt come from 8 step.. but as a
    "8 step practioner or sifu" doing this would it be considered cross training or mantis?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Incorrect about one little aspect.....
    It was NOT from Babu Tanglang! There is no record of ANY CMA have a comprehensive curriculum for ground combat, and Babu is certainly not the exception.

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com