Thread: Horse stance question from a newb

Horse stance question from a newb

Horse stances are almost apart of every class at school. If you are waiting to do a form, during warm up, and sometimes practiced with fighting drills.

Often watching sparing though I do not see fighters use the horse stance. I know the importance of using it to gain strength in your leg muscles and to learn how to ground yourself... but I am wondering if it is used much in actual fights?

any details would be great

I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Suplex

I would have posted an olympic wrestling match as its more real.....but i prefer to look at asian chicks repeatedly suplexing each other.

pay attention to the moment just befor the lift, when the stance is hit and the weight is sunk.

in fights/spars you often wont see anyone in a static horse stance, except during certain ranges of grappling, (which i still wouldnt consider static, because you are still in motion, even if its very little) but you will often see people using the horse for leverage, transition, grounding, as well as other various positions where a bent knee, rougly even distribution of weight, is needed.

Here is another thread concerning horse stance.
    Last edited by Lucas; 02-13-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

its good for grappling, as you dont see anyone grappling with fully extended legs

suplex
    guillotine etcccc alot of grappling moves start off in a variant of horse stance

we do it in my MMA class alot, makes you strong
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    stance training is ironic in that most people train to hold for very long times...but the point of stances is the power developed during transition from one stance to the other.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    Horse stances are almost apart of every class at school. If you are waiting to do a form, during warm up, and sometimes practiced with fighting drills.

Often watching sparing though I do not see fighters use the horse stance. I know the importance of using it to gain strength in your leg muscles and to learn how to ground yourself... but I am wondering if it is used much in actual fights?

any details would be great
    it's like a health insurance company asking you to submit 50 gallons of urine in order to apply for coverage: they don't actually need that much of it, they are just making sure that you are serious about wanting the insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    stance training is ironic in that most people train to hold for very long times...but the point of stances is the power developed during transition from one stance to the other.
    Correct.
    Static stance training doesn't have direct fighting applications, nor does it directly lead to better power production.
    It works well for muscular endurance for actually staying in a stance, but not so much in terms of dynamic endurance.
    But it can lead to a better ability of "sinking" into one stance from another.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Correct.
    Static stance training doesn't have direct fighting applications, nor does it directly lead to better power production.
    It works well for muscular endurance for actually staying in a stance, but not so much in terms of dynamic endurance.
    But it can lead to a better ability of "sinking" into one stance from another.

I beg to differ, horse stance can be used to evade a punch aimed at the head, then from there you shift into bow stance using your waist to generate the power for a counter punch. This can be seen in the beginning form of Shaolin Lian Huan Quan. It is our opening sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    I beg to differ, horse stance can be used to evade a punch aimed at the head, then from there you shift into bow stance using your waist to generate the power for a counter punch. This can be seen in the beginning form of Shaolin Lian Huan Quan. It is our opening sequence.
    I think you need to re-read my post.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

northern standing like a post training is for resist takedowns and low stable footwork
    traditional progression is after u can do for 20 min, then u stand on posts, then you put on 50 pound weights, then 100 pund, up to 500 pound

there are supplement excercises to sink into horse stance over and over, and change from stance to stance using wooden weight machines like a cable pulley
    Last edited by bawang; 02-15-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC