Page 74 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 3641

Thread: OT: does obama bring change?

I lived on the economy in Germany, not on post. I also did several exercises with our German partner unit. Believe me... I stayed away from Army stuff as much as I could after duty hours. You can only handle so much of that stuff.

And I am SO calling Dale tonight after work!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    No but it's essentially the official media presence of the conservative party of the UK...

Just as the Guardian is virtually the official media presence of the Labour party.
    actually the conservative and labour party are virtually the same thing here.

the guardian is privately owned and has alot of (but not exclusively) left wing views and doesnt back any party

sorry but i have to defend the guardian (should it be defending me?) for just being an excellent paper which is'nt owned by anyone and tries its best to tell the truth as much as humanely possible.

my dad is about the most conservative person in THE WORLD and he reads the guardian.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I lived on the economy in Germany, not on post. I also did several exercises with our German partner unit. Believe me... I stayed away from Army stuff as much as I could after duty hours. You can only handle so much of that stuff.

And I am SO calling Dale tonight after work!

Im in class until 9 PM eastern time. Im working towards my Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.

look forward to it brother.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Why would I kick out a person for using a racial epithet that is used in their community?

That is not a racist comment but more reclaiming something that has been exploited by others.

If they were not Black or have any of that ethnic group I would ask them to not use that word. If they told me to "shove it." they would be removed from my class.

Add to this my students would know that this is not acceptable in class.
    So it's okay for some to use the word but not others? I thought you always had a problem with the N word. It should not matter who said it. Are you changing your argument?

BD,

You seem to be unable to understand where most of us are coming from. Sorry that you cannot fathom people not wanting to use terms that are unacceptable due to the history of the word.

Black people want to use the term to reclaim it, so be it.

Women who want to use the c word to describe their nether regions. so be it.

its racist to use a term that does not apply to you and your race. it is rather simple.

Are you a caucasian BD, if you are your dropping of the N reference in the post I referenced is uncool, and racist.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    You're a rational guy.

So, let's be honest here. Are you saying or suggesting The Telegraph just made up the quote?

FYI, even the Obama Administration has not suggested that. Nor have they denied a State Department official said it.
    No, I'm saying that before I would trust them I would need to A) know that their source was legitimate and B) know the context of the quote provided to determine if the use of it was, in fact, something legitimate.

As you are the first I have heard mentioning this diplomatic SNAFU I am telling you that citing the most conservative mainstream newspaper in a conservative country is strongly biassed... rougly equivalent to if I were to... I don't know... cite Xinhua.
    Last edited by SimonM; 03-10-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

personally i think people who cry out racism (people of any color) are the ones who entice it, wether consciously or not... i don't see racism, i simply see people tossing labels around that instigate strife... for every finger you point, there are three others pointing back at you. calling people names is stooping to a lower level of being... we are all guilty of calling people names, be it d0rk or a racist, yet both amount to the same thing... ignorance... it is something that must be worked on by all people. elevating oneself above simply calling people names should be high on everyones priority lists... even you dale dugas, calling people cowards and mouthboxers at whim and nearly in every conversation you involve yourself in is childish and only perpetrates more strife... true martial artists are supposed to be keeping the peace and teaching others thru their actions, but what would i know... i am just a cowardly mouth-boxing jack a s s...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I could care less if the Queen said it. "They" said it and "YOU" spread it.
    So, by your 'logic', anyone who quotes any Nazi is a Nazi. Right? So there sure must be a ton of historians, professors, students, etc who are Nazis.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

BD,

You seem to be unable to understand where most of us are coming from.
    That's par for the course. He really does live in a world all his own.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    No, I'm saying that before I would trust them I would need to A) know that their source was legitimate and B) know the context of the quote provided that the source was, in fact, legitimate.

As you are the first I have heard mentioning this diplomatic SNAFU I am telling you that citing the most conservative mainstream newspaper in a conservative country is a strongly biassed... rougly equivalent to if I were to... I don't know... cite Xinhua.
    I did link to the entire article.

Whenever I use parts of an article, I ALWAYS link to the entire article. After all, I'm not BD.

My issue was with the context of the quote in it's original environment. IE: what was said before and after the quote and with the source of the quote.

Linking the article doesn't solve that problem... particularly the first.

Here, let me explain in greater detail:

Sources close to the White House say
    Who?

But Washington figures with access to Mr Obama's inner circle
    Who??

Allies of Mr Obama
    WHO???

A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama's inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to "even fake an interest in foreign policy".
    WHO?!?

The American source said
    Who the heck is this source? Rahm Emanuel? John McCain? The ghost of JFK?

Mr Obama rang Mr Brown as he flew home, in what many suspected was an attempt to make amends.
    Who the fvck are many?!?!?

The editorial staff of the Telegraph, that's who but we digress...

The real views of many in Obama administration were laid bare by a State Department official involved in planning the Brown visit
    Which state department official. What was his name, what office did he hold, was he appointed by Obama? Did he predate Obama?

The real views of many in Obama administration {sic} were laid bare by a State Department official involved in planning the Brown visit
    Who are "many in the Obama administration"?

The Sunday Telegraph understands that one of Mr Obama's most prominent African American backers, whose endorsement he spent two years cultivating, has told friends that he detects a weakness in Mr Obama's character.
    Oh, they understand do they? And how do they understand that? Which backer? Why? If the backer exists and if the backer DOES "detect a weakness" what is the nature of the weakness? Does it have anything to do with Brown's visit?

"The one real serious flaw I see in Barack Obama is that he thinks he can manage all this," the well-known figure told a Washington official, who spoke to this newspaper. "He's underestimating the flood of things that will hit his desk."
    Annonymously quoting an annonymous quote... there's quality* journalism.

*Poor quality to be specific.

A Democratic strategist, who is friends with several senior White House aides,
    Again who is this?

How many different "sources" have the Telegraph used? Do we have reason to trust any of them? So far the only NAMED people are Gordon Brown and Barack Obama, both of whom have apparently remained silent on the issue.

He said that on several occasions the president has had to hurry back from eating dinner with his family in the residence and then tucking his daughters in to bed, to conduct urgent government business. Matters are not helped by the pledge to give up smoking.
    Ok... changing my tune a little. Still don't know who this guy is but now I have to ask:

So what?

Like I said: media awareness is important.

It's not necessary that the newspaper print a technical "mistruth" in order to lie.

They could have got this all from the state department janitor who was hired during the bush administration because he is the great grandson of a GOP contributor and who believes he's friendly with the junior assistant to the junior assistant to the undersecretary in charge of Latvian relations...

As long as they quoted what he told them they wouldn't actually be "lying".

But they wouldn't be telling the truth either.

This is why multiple, independent, sources are crucial.

Oh... and I have to change my statement. Having read the whole article I have to say this: Xinhua reports are better than that. At least they NAME the mouthpieces they quote.
    Last edited by SimonM; 03-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    personally i think people who cry out racism (people of any color) are the ones who entice it, wether consciously or not... i don't see racism, i simply see people tossing labels around that instigate strife... for every finger you point, there are three others pointing back at you. calling people names is stooping to a lower level of being... we are all guilty of calling people names, be it d0rk or a racist, yet both amount to the same thing... ignorance... it is something that must be worked on by all people. elevating oneself above simply calling people names should be high on everyones priority lists... even you dale dugas, calling people cowards and mouthboxers at whim and nearly in every conversation you involve yourself in is childish and only perpetrates more strife... true martial artists are supposed to be keeping the peace and teaching others thru their actions, but what would i know... i am just a cowardly mouth-boxing jack a s s...
    so rather than call out BD for using racist terms in one of his posts, you bring my name up.

I called him on it. Do you agree with what he posted or not?

As everyone should call people on the things they do and say when its not right.

call me a name caller. but if the shoe fits wear it. call me a tough guy, at least I call people out on the things they do/post/say.

BD is showing himself to be nothing more than an ignorant person who has knee jerk reactions to varied things in life.

I have reactions to unknown martial artists who claim much but can show or do very little.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    personally i think people who cry out racism ... we are all guilty of calling people names, be it d0rk or a racist, yet both amount to the same thing... ignorance...
    err no. saying things like:
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Let's feed those stupid Ns from Africa
    is racism.

... calling it racism labels it for what it is. Judging a race from one country as "stupid Ns" is pure racism.

Yeah we are all quilty of callnig people names. Not ignorantly judge a whole race

Another person who can think for themselves.

Bravo, brother.

Another person who can think for themselves.

Bravo, brother.
    Answering machine, man...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"