Page 2 of 243 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: does obama bring change?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    I don't recall anyone in the Bush Cabinet having tax issues.
    Bernie Kerik & Linda Chavez

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    Bernie Kerik & Linda Chavez
    They both had issues concerning nannies. Neither owed ANY back taxes.

Also, Kerik never served in the Bush Cabinet.

Try again.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Are these things going to 'stimulate' the economy and create jobs?
    No, but, I knew better than to expect anything from him or McCain. Continually we are presented with a lump of $hit and a lump of crap and sold the idea that they're critically different

$2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
    I wonder what happened to his ******* for ethanol. IMO, if you're gonna invest in alternative energy, make it "high tech" solar, wind, or water.

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
    Yep, that'll really help the economy out

• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
    .....................how much do those things cost?

• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).
    I'm almost split on this.......... almost. Having some friends in the military, I can sympathize with the need for "new stuff" (for lack of a much better word), but considering the proposed purpose of the "stimulus" package... that's not necessary. I think a better place for that would be a military spending bill.

• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
    Oh to he|| with that! Less than 1% of the cases they work on are terrorism related. It's an unnecessary organization and even if it were around prior to 9/11, it wouldn't have prevented it any. Further, I don't see how that will exactly help the economy...

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.
    Convert the current engines to run on bio-diesel. Next!

• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.
    That's fine and dandy, but uh, it's not helping to "stimulate" the economy and it's not something that should be considered until we are out of the current financial disaster.

• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
    How about we get some more public trash cans here in NYC? I'm tired of being the only person that doesn't litter..

• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.
    How about cleaning up the rust in my water?

• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
    not necessary at the moment

• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
    waste

• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."
    :

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.
    This isn't "stimulating" the economy any.... even if it is necessary

• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.
    Why?

• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
    Nope.

• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.
    Nope.

• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.

• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.
    That's great and all but.... it's not stimulating anything.

• $500 million for state and local fire stations.
    Why?

• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.
    See above

• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
    Obama's idea thus far of "energy efficiency" so far (clean coal, ethanol) is lacking. I'm not buying it. Further, no "stimulus"

• $850 million for Amtrak.
    For arguments sake, since most of this is waste, I'll just go along with it.

• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.
    My apt building was built in 1927. The landlord will supply me with lead-paint testing should I choose to have a kid here. Not great, but it'll work for now...
    • $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
    waste

• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.
    "stimulus"

• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
    Why?

• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.
    WOW! It's a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But........... why just summer jobs??

• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.

• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.

• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.

• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
    What about the mandatory community service Obama wants for college kids?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

You know at 800 billion, the government could just cut us all a check for $100,000 and be done with it. THAT would stimulate the economy. Until the 'bill' came due at least
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I think the important thing to remember here is in that long laundry list of projects (Pulled off of someone's Neo blog) I would bet, although I don't have the inclination to actually add it up, that all those programs adds up to less than the cost of 2 months in Iraq. If Obama can get us the hell out there will be plenty for money for those programs.

Notice that for Neos dumping money into the Iraq black hole is okay but funding summer jobs for kids is not......

If you only have one wing, you fly in circles. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And I don't recall the media or anyone else REALLY vetting or examining the bona fides of Bush Appointees...except obvious birds nests on the ground like Harriet Meirs.

They even believed Roberts and Alito... They did NOT raise a fuss when Bush and Cheney refused to testify under oath and separately...

But I would say that a good chunk of both sides of the aisle have undisclosed tax issues...and then there may be the issues of hiring undocumented workers for things like home and child care.... that one has also caught both sides....and both issues are simply reflections of what a significant part of the US population that makes above a certain amount of money do.

I have friends that are easily in the $200+ K a year income level. Generally, they pay a person to do their taxes and would probably NOT come out unscathed in the event of an audit...and they HAVE used undocumented workers for home care work.... not now...but in the past. and they are cleaner than many of the folks I know in that income bracket....

also, I'm really looking forward to went they once again start talking about welfare mothers driving Cadillacs!

In any case Bad's argument is that everyone in the Bush admin is fine God fearing people while the people in Obama's admin are cheats and criminals.....

I saw the crappy job those decent "God fearing people" did........Give me the criminals and cheats any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    You know at 800 billion, the government could just cut us all a check for $100,000 and be done with it. THAT would stimulate the economy. Until the 'bill' came due at least
    No one is supposed to know about the bill; just play along and let everyone think that there are no consequences to creating money out of thin air.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I think the important thing to remember here is in that long laundry list of projects (Pulled off of someone's Neo blog) I would bet, although I don't have the inclination to actually add it up, that all those programs adds up to less than the cost of 2 months in Iraq. If Obama can get us the hell out there will be plenty for money for those programs.

Notice that for Neos dumping money into the Iraq black hole is okay but funding summer jobs for kids is not......
    Behold the stupidity of partisan party politics!

Conservatives were mostly asleep at the wheel when Bush was ruining us, and I am already seeing plenty of Liberals doing the same pathetic thing.

You're right, if we weren't funding multiple unnecessary wars, things would be a lot different economy-wise. As it stands, Obama wants this absurd laundry list and multiple wars. I'm afraid that Obama is gonna make Bush look like a "fiscal conservative"

Meet the new boss.... same as the old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    No one is supposed to know about the bill; just play along and let everyone think that there are no consequences to creating money out of thin air.
    Well according to Bad, Obama has the "Robin Hood" plan. He's suppose to redistribute the wealth from the rich to the poor...

The only problem is that I've asked and asked and I still haven't when told when and where I can pick up my check.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Well according to Bad, Obama has the "Robin Hood" plan. He's suppose to redistribute the wealth from the rich to the poor...

The only problem is that I've asked and asked and I still haven't when told when and where I can pick up my check.
    Obama, like McCain, like Bush, like Clinton, like.......... says one thing, and does another.

Your check just got "accidentally" mailed to some big business or government agency methinks. Really, the Gov has a contest to see who can nail us in the rear the best... the winner gets all the checks

I wonder what happened to his ******* for ethanol. IMO, if you're gonna invest in alternative energy, make it "high tech" solar, wind, or water.
    Notice what state that money is going to...

What about the mandatory community service Obama wants for college kids?
    What exactly is the difference between mandatory community service and slavery?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    I have friends that are easily in the $200+ K a year income level. Generally, they pay a person to do their taxes and would probably NOT come out unscathed in the event of an audit....
    But this Geithner crook is running the IRS!

Obama does get points for audacity.