Page 7 of 243 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: does obama bring change?

Quote Originally Posted by Luk Hop View Post
    I disagree. I think that many blacks incorrectly assume what you stated. His support by many whites was reactionary. Many whites voted for him because they thought that he was going to bring home the troops and end the war, have a transparent presidency, and bring about a massive overhaul of the political system in Washington.

The question now is: is he really doing any of that?

Just my thoughts. Am I still entitled to those?
    I don't know. You may be right. I kind of think it'd be pretty naive to think any one president could bring about a massive overhaul of Washington. If the bulk of the people that elected him thought that he would though, then I'm wrong. Maybe the vote was reactionary, but if White America had believed for example that say Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton was going to bring home the troops and end the war, and bring about a massive overhaul of the political system in Washington, there's no way either one of them would've ended up in the White House. I think Obama's personality and deft social maneuvering is what made it possible for him. Because if the three issues you mention were what the public wanted, couldn't they have elected a libertarian like Ralph Nader instead of Obama?

That example may be extreme, but my point is that his personality is what allowed him to be elected. His taking the high road every time race came up is what allowed the masses to believe that he'd have the transparent presidency you mention.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Can't We All Just Get Along?....

You guys hear this one yet? lol

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Hundreds of demonstrators rallied to boycott the New York Post on Thursday, branding the newspaper as racist for publishing a cartoon that appeared to compare President Barack Obama to a chimpanzee.

Demonstrators led by civil rights activist Al Sharpton chanted "End racism now!" outside the parent company's skyscraper in midtown Manhattan and called for the jailing of Rupert Murdoch, whose international media conglomerate News Corp owns the Post.

The newspaper has defended the cartoon as a parody of Washington politics, but Sharpton said it exploited a potent image in the history of racism toward blacks.

Published on Wednesday, it shows police shooting an ape and plays on the real shooting of a pet chimpanzee that went on a rampage in Connecticut this week.

One of the police officers says, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

Because Obama promoted the $787 billion economic stimulus that he signed into law on Tuesday, critics of the cartoon interpreted the dead chimp as a reference to Obama, who became the first black U.S. president on January 20.

"I guess they thought we were chimpanzees," Sharpton said. "They will find out we are lions."

Sharpton said he would meet with advertisers to encourage them to pull their ads and said New Yorkers would boycott the newspaper.

"You would have to be in a time warp or in a whole other world not to know what that means," said demonstrator Charles Ashley, 25, a model who did not believe the cartoon was an innocent political joke.

Others said it made light of assassinating Obama, a possibility they said that worries many African-Americans.

"Just the fact that they put a monkey with gunshot wounds in his chest, it gives the idea of an assassination," said Peter Aviles, 48, a building superintendent.

Police in Stamford, Connecticut, shot and killed a 200-pound (90-kg) chimpanzee on Monday after the pet nearly killed its owner's friend and attacked a police car. The chimp, named Travis, had once starred in television commercials and was taking medication for Lyme disease.

New York Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said in a statement the cartoon "broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy."

(Editing by Daniel Trotta and David Wiessler)

Collapse ArticleTurn OFF Expand/Collapse Article

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/yloc...113775&lang=en
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I don't know. You may be right. I kind of think it'd be pretty naive to think any one president could bring about a massive overhaul of Washington. If the bulk of the people that elected him thought that he would though, then I'm wrong. Maybe the vote was reactionary, but if White America had believed for example that say Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton was going to bring home the troops and end the war, and bring about a massive overhaul of the political system in Washington, there's no way either one of them would've ended up in the White House. I think Obama's personality and deft social maneuvering is what made it possible for him. Because if the three issues you mention were what the public wanted, couldn't they have elected a libertarian like Ralph Nader instead of Obama?

That example may be extreme, but my point is that his personality is what allowed him to be elected. His taking the high road every time race came up is what allowed the masses to believe that he'd have the transparent presidency you mention.
    Good points.

Yea, people really are that naive. Let's face it most Americans are just plain stupid.

Obama is a very charismatic politician who was able to flow with a very smooth and well run campaign. No doubt his campaign used the internet at levels never seen before in a presidential campaign and also had very favorable backing from the media in general.

Ralph Nader (independent) - sorry - not a viable alternative. People remember when he was with the Green Party which was basically hijacked by the evironmental & ****sexual interest groups.

Bob Barr (libertarian) - people are afraid of them there libertarians - "don't they want to legalize pot and what not"

The American people are simply afraid of to much change. How can a 3rd party compete with the amounts of advertising that the Obama campaign was able to produce.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton - to much baggage.

So what is left ? McCain - Need anymore be said when compared to Obama.

Anyways, I did not vote for either one -

just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Hundreds of demonstrators rallied to boycott the New York Post on Thursday, branding the newspaper as racist for publishing a cartoon that appeared to compare President Barack Obama to a chimpanzee.
    what's ironic is no one said jack about when bush was compared to a chimp... and yet these two clowns are also related to each other, besides, obama is not really black, he's a mutt like most the rest of us, he just happens to be a few shades darker with bush ears.

this racist crap is getting lame already...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    In any case Bad's argument is that everyone in the Bush admin is fine God fearing people while the people in Obama's admin are cheats and criminals.....

I saw the crappy job those decent "God fearing people" did........Give me the criminals and cheats any day of the week.
    I totally agree, BoulderDawg. I have seen what "god-fearing people" can do. A bunch of hypocrites and bathroom Stall jockeys. Bad's argument for God fearing people sounds too much like " Children of the Corn" bull****.

Luk Hop makes alot of sense.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyT View Post
    I totally agree, BoulderDawg. I have seen what "god-fearing people" can do. A bunch of hypocrites and bathroom Stall jockeys. Bad's argument for God fearing people sounds too much like " Children of the Corn" bull****.
    Can either of you knuckleheads point out where I mention God in my argument?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Oh wow, I figured you'd be banned by now. I heard they got a cyber-contract out on ya, Bro.

It's wabbit hunting season, ya know.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    this racist crap is getting lame already...
    Yeah, I think you're right. This probably wasn't the right place for me to have posted this either.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Can either of you knuckleheads point out where I mention God in my argument?
    This is just another example of you trying to change the subject.

As far as I know you have not mentioned God anywhere on this thread. However that's not the point. There has to be a yin to your yang. You're constantly bringing things up about people in the Obama admin that informs me they are tax cheats, immoral scoundrels. incompetant and probably ho-mo commies to boot. You are implying that the conservative people who held these jobs before where of higher moral character.

Unlike you, I don't judge whether or not a man can do a job based on his high moral character. Frankly I don't care as long as the job is getting done......The conservatives in the Bush Admin was running the country into the ground. Give me professionals of questionable moral character anyday.

what's ironic is no one said jack about when bush was compared to a chimp... and yet these two clowns are also related to each other, besides, obama is not really black, he's a mutt like most the rest of us, he just happens to be a few shades darker with bush ears.
    Musta missed that. Do you have a link to the "Bush is a monkey" cartoon?

Not onkly was the cartoon disgusting from a racial standpoint but is was also trying to make light of a situation where a woman was seriously disfigured and almost killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Even he is scaling back those promises. Of course he did it AFTER the election.

Contrast Obama to a great President with a proven record of economic success, Ronald Reagan. While Reagan spoke of the greatness of the American people, how Americans overcome obstacles, how America is the greatest country on earth, and that a new day was coming for America, Obama speaks of it getting worse and how only HE (and government) can fix it. We all know Reagan turned around an economy MUCH WORSE than what we have now in under a year, let's see how well Obama does with the opposite approach and the opposite rhetoric.
    It doesn't help that the opposing party had no plan except to attack the dems' ideas without producing their own fix. Face it. Republicans basically elected Obama.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

republican, democrat... no difference. nothing more than another control mechanism to keep people divided against themselves... pro-choice, same sex marriage, christianity, islam, jew, gentile, classical, modern, patriot, traitor, racism... all divisions.

mankind needs to see past the divisions in order to free itself from the yoke of oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    It doesn't help that the opposing party had no plan except to attack the dems' ideas without producing their own fix. Face it. Republicans basically elected Obama.
    I agree the Republicans cooked their own goose. But they did have plans, they were just not able to enact them. They tried to force Fannie and Freddie to open their books before the housing bubble popped, but were called racists and fell short of the votes needed. They also called for large tax cuts rather than massive spending to fix the current slump.

republican, democrat... no difference. nothing more than another control mechanism to keep people divided against themselves... pro-choice, same sex marriage, christianity, islam, jew, gentile, classical, modern, patriot, traitor, racism... all divisions.

mankind needs to see past the divisions in order to free itself from the yoke of oppression.
    Man I hate to say this....your right
    BQ