Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Are bil jee elbows the most overused of all wing chun techniques?

Um, 1:24:

"No kicks, holds, elbows, knees, or sweeps or any of the many Wing Chun techniques"

So, there isnt anything being trained here BUT footwork and punches.

Bad vid example.

Wrong!

You missed the entire point which is simply that under REAL pressure most of those techniques go OUT the window.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edseas2 View Post
    Tom-

YOU can check and follow the elbow BUT the person who throws the elbow CAN'T.

Ed
    Are you saying what I can and cannot do with my own elbow?
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Is it physically possible for you to "stick" after throwing an elbow?

Ed

So under REAL pressure, most techniques such as grappling, clinching, knees, elbows and sweeps go out the window, huh?

Maybe you should stop by your local MMA gym and let them know their doing it all wrong. Those techniques never work under REAL pressure.

The vid was a bad choice for your argument cause they werent allowed to use anything but footwork and punches. It doesnt PROVE that elbows are ineffective except for one instance. How does it PROVE that they dont work under real pressure when your not trying to use them?

Kuo Sao and Elbow: Yes, i stick with my Kuo Sao to his bridge and my elbow sticks to his face.

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    So under REAL pressure, most techniques such as grappling, clinching, knees, elbows and sweeps go out the window, huh?

Maybe you should stop by your local MMA gym and let them know their doing it all wrong. Those techniques never work under REAL pressure.

The vid was a bad choice for your argument cause they werent allowed to use anything but footwork and punches. It doesnt PROVE that elbows are ineffective except for one instance. How does it PROVE that they dont work under real pressure when your not trying to use them?

Kuo Sao and Elbow: Yes, i stick with my Kuo Sao to his bridge and my elbow sticks to his face.

Why don't YOU stop by your local MMA gym and try throwing an elbow at a non-compliant partner?

Do you REALLY think you could have used an elbow in that exchange? Lastly, you would lose contact with your opponent after elbowing him in the face, would you not?

As to kuo sao, many lineages do NOT recognize this technique of Leung Ting's, btw.

Ed

Why don't YOU stop by your local MMA gym and try throwing an elbow at a non-compliant partner?
    I do. Most MMA gyms teach MT. Lots o' elbows to be thrown.

As to kuo sao, many lineages do NOT recognize this technique of Leung Ting's, btw.
    Funny. I learned that as part of the dummy form from VT. never learned LT's dummy form.

"Kao"
    "Kau" (sp?)

Tom, you've been doing WC awhile. Which is it? Kao, Kau? I forget the english translation of the technique from the dummy (have to check my notes).
    Last edited by taojkd; 02-06-2009 at 10:35 AM.

More realistic than a "compliant training partner.":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=196kCQawtcc

Count the elbow strikes in the above video.

Ed
    The video said " no elbows, kicks, knees or sweeps".
    It seems those weren't allowed?
    And he got the guy with 1 punch, not 3 or whatever the video said it was, the other "punches" caused no reaction ofter the first one clocked him good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The video said " no elbows, kicks, knees or sweeps".
    It seems those weren't allowed?
    And he got the guy with 1 punch, not 3 or whatever the video said it was, the other "punches" caused no reaction ofter the first one clocked him good.
    Apparently allowed but under stress did NOT show up.

Ed

Allow me to post the following vid to explain to you that clinching, grappling, knees and elbows do show up under REAL pressure. So even if this one guy just reacts with but punches, heres a couple of vids that illustrate that most other human beings on the planet will use other parts of their bodies as a weapon.

http://everyMMAmatcheverinthehistoryofthesport.com

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Allow me to post the following vid to explain to you that clinching, grappling, knees and elbows do show up under REAL pressure. So even if this one guy just reacts with but punches, heres a couple of vids that illustrate that most other human beings on the planet will use other parts of their bodies as a weapon.

http://everyMMAmatcheverinthehistoryofthesport.com

Sorry - WRONG FORUM!

This is the WC/VT forum.

Why not hop on over to the MMA forum?

(Not that I could open the link at all but going by the URL...)

Ed

Ed
    Well, they certainly didn't NEED to show up, did they?
    LOL !
    It was a nicely placed punch.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ed
    Yes.

You avoided my question. Please answer.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Unless your elbow functions differently than my own then its movement is predictable and, therefore, I would be able to ascertain what you can do with your elbow.

Does that answer your question?

Ed

Unless your elbow functions differently than my own then its movement is predictable and, therefore, I would be able to ascertain what you can do with your elbow.
    Can't the same be said for a punch or kick? Hell, I know how a punch works. So by that same logic i should be able to ascertain what you can do with your punch.