Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This is our fault

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    The worst is the youngsters that are put on adderall and such, and some are court ordered "for their own good". I know someone who the school had him put his kid on it for ADD and now the poor kid looks like the walking dead. Plus it gets tehm used to taking pills regularly.
    I work with a lot of kids with this and similar diagnoses (ADD, ADHD, OCD, Autism spectrum, etc.); I would say that there is a large continuum - in other words, some kids who are on meds who should not be; others who were out of their freakin' minds whose quality of life has improved dramatically as a result of meds; and some who you really don't know if it makes a difference or not; honestly, a lot of it has to do with parents' personalities as well: some just put 'em on and leave 'em; others try to use the meds to give the kids some space for other things to "work", and try to get them off as they improve; some parents like to play pharmacist and screw around with dosages (and not tell anyone, of course - but we can always tell, LOL); it's a mixed bag;

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    That's why we are swamped with antibiotic resistant viruses and super bugs, overuse of antibiotics.
    or rather misuse - as in people not finishing the dosage properly; but yes, also overuse - for example, my son used abx. once, when he had a real "deep" persistent cough, at ~1 years of age; but our pediatrician had told us to use them several times when he noted some fluid in his ears - but my son was asymptomatic, so we decided not to go with them, and I am convinced we made the right choice (of course, my wife is an OBGYN MD, but was originally trained / practiced in Latvia / former USSR, and she has a slightly different perspective of things - she is definitely of the opinion that they over / misuse abx. and other drugs here, esp. w/peds population)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Furthermore, there is nothing normal about this situation and I believe that it was planned and is being carried out in a premeditated manner.
    well, I don't know if I would qualify it that way - I think "normal" is a highly subjective term - things are such as they are - it's all about input / output - normal implies a logos to which everything else is referenced, and I don't think that's quite the way things work in general; this is ultimately a Taoist perspective, which advocates moment to moment awareness of suchness as the means by which we "choose" our course of action - having a fixed notion of normality / morality is, from a Taoist perspective, the same as being dead.
    as far as premeditated, my 'problem" with that is that it's too easy of an answer - while I have no doubt that there are folks at various "higher" levels of power trying to manipulate things, I don't think it's a uniform conspiracy - I think it's different people in power vying with each other for control in various arenas as opposed to a secret unified cabal orchestrating world events - life just isn't that clear-cut, but rather a "mess" of variables that coalesce in complex and often unpredictable ways

I think that if drugs are ever legalised then each country should provide an island where all these junkies can go and stay where they can smoke, snort and inject their brains out, so that the only people they hurt are themselves, while the politicians who legalised the drugs reap the profits.
    LOL - part of me is all for that; I mean, it's not as simple as that, but it is appealing; personally, I agree with what one of my old friends used to say (and Ross will chuckle at this, knowing the person in question as well), " give 'em all the drugs they want, but put 'em to work to rebuild our nation's crumbling infrastructure" (this was in the '80's, I guess this guy was a bit prescient, to say the least, LOL); ok, well, maybe that's not the answer either...

Of course the rest of the population who will be stoned on the prescription drugs, alcohol and the food additives will be too dopped to do anything about it.
    I don't know about the food additives - I think it's a continuum - some people are going to be more succeptable to their effect than others; doesn't mean I won't avoid them - I do; but there are other things I'd be more concerned about;

as for meds - I think it's pretty complex - a real miasma of patients, docs, insurance companies, drug companies - I mean, my wife is in the middle of it, but she's sort of "immune" coming from very different background - she actually knows her clinical stuff really well, seeing as she used to practice in a country where you got to work early so that you could get the ambulance that had the defibrillator as opposed to the one that didn't! so, she doesn't just accept what she's told without really doing her homework, and as a result, she tries to prescribe things very consciously, and not over prescribe either; but at the same time if a patient busts her butt about getting a certain med for some silly reason, she won't overly argue with them after she has explained the risks / benefits / precautions 3 times and they still think they know better (although she drew the line at the woman who wanted to use "Plan B" as her primary means of birth control, LOL);

personally, what I see is a net effect of changes over the last 100 years or so (although really, I could argue that the "problem" really started when we made the switch from nomadic to agrarian-based culture...): starting with being bathed in a range of EMF due to radio / TV / etc. - something we never had before, and that, IMPE, is having a subtle effect on our genetic structure (can't prove it, just a highly subjective opinion) resulting in the increase in the developmental / congenital / learning / sensorymotor processing disorders we are seeing now (I work in pediatrics - the numbers of kids in special ed., getting related services like OT, PT, speech, etc. have increased dramatically in the last 5 - 10 years - and every therapist I talk to about their impression has the same opinion - it's a real silent epidemic that we will notice only when this population hits maturity, IMPE...); couple that with changes in diet, not in terms of additives / coloring, but rather changes in levels of fiber, dairy / meat intake, etc. - not only on intake end but production as well (read Robbins' "Diet for a New America" for the skinny on this), and also activity level vis-vis the use of the automobile: we don't walk as much; and walking, IME, is one of nature's great "cures", both physically (pumps lymph) and emotionally (my sifu took me out a few times for 2-3 hour "walking cure" around Manhattan over the first few years I was with him back in my 20's after some GF break ups - always worked wonders!); and of course, watching TV - not only the content, but the actual activity - from the physical posture we adopt watching, to the way it "trances" the brain (TBH, my son watches the tube a bit more than I'd care for - but no where near as much as most kids - and I am actively working on decreasing it as well...)

personally, I don't think it's a sinister plot: I think that is too "simple" of an answer, really - rather, I see it more as humanities penchant for "leisure" based living; I agree that there are people taking advantage of this trend, but I don't think it's an organized, premeditated plot with an end goal of population enslavement in mind - I see it as a "natural" progression of humanity's biggest problem, which is our neurotic self-absorption with the "self", coupled with the desire to avoid emotional / physical suffering; so we developed technology to make things easier; but when you make things "easier" too much, then the organism is not challenged in ways that help it maintain its "natural" toughness; not to say that technology is inherently bad - but using it in a balanced way is incredibly challenging, and we as a species has failed at that; anyway, as we solve old problems, we create new ones, so we come up with further technological buffers; as a result, there are too many of us living for too long (you can have one or the other; not both), and now we see the results starting to take place (mainly the planetary climate going out of balance - Gaia is getting piszed and is starting to have her own "immune response"...)

see, I do think that we as a "society" is on the road to a major correction - the whole system is way out of balance, and, like the body, the planet can compensate for a time; but then you hit a watershed / event horizon, then you have a state change - basically complexity theory is what describes this (so does Taoism, of course); you hit a point where the system can't maintain itself, and it changes rapidly into something very different; and that is where we are headed, I believe; which is why I don't buy the "conspiracy" theory - because the guys theoretically running the show are going to be just as subject to a change of this nature as anyone, so the direction that they are supposedly driving everyone towards will be equally destabilizing to them as it will to everyone else;
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 02-19-2009 at 05:50 PM.