Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is our fault

In a true democratic society. the people are the government and the government acts on the will of the people.

we don't elect nannies, we elect representatives to hold up and support our views and our will as a people.

there is no need to draw a line as stated. you can still have rule of law to enforce the will of the people. drunk driving is a criminal code offense for instance, why wouldn't any other instance of where harm is brought to someone else through criminal intent go unpunished?

the war on drugs is a huge waste of money. If we control the flow, tax the crap out of it there will be benefits.

people with addictive personalities can be included in the help available when they get to a point hey need to deal with it. there's no difference in my eyes between an alcoholic and a heroin addict except that the former is paying, through taxes for his hospital care and the latter is not because there is no system in place for that to occur.

make the problem pay for the solution. It's very freeing and promotes a more intelligent society.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...ral/index.html

Anyone who buys and uses illegal narcotics is funding the destruction of our Southern neighbor.

Even if 'Pot' was legalized, there is no way one can argue legalization for other dangerous narcotics.

American narcissism is destroying Mexico.

****es me off, it does...
    Not just Mexico but also this effects Colombia and a few other South American countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    I read somewhere that the fiercest lobbyists against legalization came from the alcohol and tobacco companies, for fear of competition over customers. Don't have any idea if that's actually accurate, and it was a long time ago I read this in any case, just throwing it out there.
    The Governement also profits from the war on drugs. They do it through seizure laws.

I'm all for legalizing it. We tried Prohibition once, people still drank alcohol and people like Al Capone got rich off it. It's no different now, people still get high, and drug lords are making tons of money off it.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    The Governement also profits from the war on drugs. They do it through seizure laws.

I'm all for legalizing it. We tried Prohibition once, people still drank alcohol and people like Al Capone got rich off it. It's no different now, people still get high, and drug lords are making tons of money off it.
    For once, we agree 100%.

What worries me about legalization of drugs is the fact that we are going to end up legally stoned people side by side with legally drunk people, not to mention the silently stoned who are on certain prescription drugs as well.

That scenario does not sound like a healthy society. Or am I too old fashioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    What worries me about legalization of drugs is the fact that we are going to end up legally stoned people side by side with legally drunk people, not to mention the silently stoned who are on certain prescription drugs as well.

That scenario does not sound like a healthy society. Or am I too old fashioned?
    With the exception of the legality of being stoned, that's no different from what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    With the exception of the legality of being stoned, that's no different from what we have now.
    I see your point but wouldn´t making narcotics legal encourage more consumption?

I see your point but wouldn´t making narcotics legal encourage more consumption?
    I can't cite statistics because it's been a friggin' long time since I read up on it, but from what I've read countries that legalize actually tend to see something of a drop in overall usage.

the silently stoned who are on certain prescription drugs as well.
    on this you make a good point, one that I have noticed for years - specifically, the massive preponderance of anti-depressants - I think that something like 30-50% of the population is on these things? add in the anti-anxiety meds and I can't imagine what the numbers are; while these make people more "functional", it's still unsettling, because it is so common yet goes largely unnoticed;

personally, I am in favor of legalization, but what concerns me is how to prevent people in significantly altered states of consciousness from harming other people, and probably there should be a minimum age

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    on this you make a good point, one that I have noticed for years - specifically, the massive preponderance of anti-depressants - I think that something like 30-50% of the population is on these things? add in the anti-anxiety meds and I can't imagine what the numbers are; while these make people more "functional", it's still unsettling, because it is so common yet goes largely unnoticed;

personally, I am in favor of legalization, but what concerns me is how to prevent people in significantly altered states of consciousness from harming other people, and probably there should be a minimum age
    I think the stat is 40% of the USA is on some form of prescribed drug care.

In the case of the huge amount of anti-depressants being out there, that is more indicative of how sick our social model is.

Krishnamurti once said "To say that one is well adjusted to this society that is so profoundly ill, is not saying much at all"(sic).

With this continued recession and the inevitable depression that will follow, we will see even more people reduced in their own minds and resorting to drug use, suicide, etc. Anything to escape the reality that we have all created for ourselves by, first and foremost, not taking responsibility for the lives we lead.

We are collectively too distracted! Time to wake up, chop wood and carry water!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Krishnamurti once said "To say that one is well adjusted to this society that is so profoundly ill, is not saying much at all"(sic).
    K. is da man; chapter 1 of "The First & Last Freedom" pretty much sums it up...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have a student who is a pharmacist in Target. She says the majority (around 90 %) of her patients are in for pain meds, anti-depressants/mood elevators, and anti psychotic drugs. Pretty scary, huh?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It's almost ironic...

I am a vocal advocate for wide-spread legalization. And yet I've only used 3 advil in the last year and that was when I had a simultaneous ear ache and tooth ache on the same side of my head.

We live in an over-medicated society.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I have a student who is a pharmacist in Target. She says the majority (around 90 %) of her patients are in for pain meds, anti-depressants/mood elevators, and anti psychotic drugs. Pretty scary, huh?
    Nah, pretty typical, according to my doctor I am the biggest freak he has ever had, in the years he has been my doctor he has never prescribed anything to me other than the cure for Ulcers when it was found that it was a bacteria that causes it.
    Never even had a prescription for tylenol 3, LOL !
    No pain killers, no medication of any kind.
    Of course, I am immortal, so...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Nah, pretty typical, according to my doctor I am the biggest freak he has ever had, in the years he has been my doctor he has never prescribed anything to me other than the cure for Ulcers when it was found that it was a bacteria that causes it.
    Never even had a prescription for tylenol 3, LOL !
    No pain killers, no medication of any kind.
    Of course, I am immortal, so...
    there are a lot of blubbering puzzies out there though who run for medication every time they stub their toes. Manginas is what they are.

the "tough guy" is harder and harder to find.

I too shun medication for aches and pains. It's not like the aches and pains are gonna go away. In fact, they get compiled with age!

I feel the best after rigorous exercise.
    Kung Fu is good for you.