Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crow Remake

The Crow Reborn

Hey Gene,

Have you heard anything about this?

Blade’ director to remake ‘Crow’
    By Mark Pollard • December 16, 2008

Tired of remakes? Hollywood isn’t. Variety reports that Stephen Norrington, director of BLADE (1998) is coming out of a five-year exile following the disaster that was LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN to write and direct a remake of THE CROW (1994), the comic-to-film revenger originally starring Brandon Lee.

Relativity Media, the producers of THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM are presently negotiating for rights to produce the film.

The original CROW was directed by Alex Proyas and starred Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee’s son. Based on a comic book series by James O’Barr, the film was a gothic and highly stylized revenger about a musician named Eric Draven who is murdered and comes back to life for payback. It was a surprise hit that would have been Lee’s breakthrough role had he not tragically died during filming as a result of a prop gun accidentally being loaded with live rounds and fired at the actor causing fatal injuries.

Proyas’ 1994 film was followed with three lesser sequels from other filmmakers and a short-lived TV series starring Mark Dacascos

Speaking to Variety, Norrington said his version will be different. “It will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style.”
    RAYNYSC

Why remake a movie that I practically consider to be perfection?

****, they already did 2 or 3 "sequels" that were basically remakes, AND a TV series that was a remake.

No effing point.

I always felt the Crow was cursed...

...There's an almost mythic quality if you watch the Crow as a double bill with Game of Death.

Hadn't heard about a new Crow, RAYNYSC, but we did hear about Shinjuku Incident and Junior Soldiers. You can do a search by forum and find these pretty easily. Thanks for the updates on it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool thanks Gene I'll do that sorry didn't mean to make more work for you as I know your busy doing other things with the forum & stuff by the way you can call me Ray for short....
    RAYNYSC

I couldn't agree more Zenshiite. I could understand if it was a movie from 30 years ago or if it was a cool idea but not that great of a movie, but The Crow is a masterpiece. No more remakes or sequels. The TV show was a good effort, but no more!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Right? What's with all the remakes?

It's like this Friday the 13th "remake." Why not just do Friday the 13th part 15: Jason returns to Camp Crystal Lake? That's basically what it is... instead of splicing the second and third movies together with fancy new cars and all the teen stars from the CW...

The Crow REMAKE

And y'all dissed the remake of The Karate Kid.
    Exclusive: Nick Cave to Rewrite 'The Crow' Remake
    By Jeff Sneider
    Published: July 27, 2010
    EXCLUSIVE

The last we heard about Relativity Media's remake of "The Crow," producer Ed Pressman told MTV that an offer was out to a "major actor" and director Stephen Norrington ("Blade") had finished a "terrific" screenplay that would be set in two locations: "the southwest -- the Mexico/Arizona area -- and an urban [setting] -- Detroit or Pittsburgh or something like that."

Well apparently Norrington's take wasn't quite "terrific" enough, as Pressman recently told TheWrap that none other than iconic musician and acclaimed screenwriter Nick Cave has come on to rewrite the script.

Hiring Cave to rewrite Norrington's script is a bold move, but it may prove to be worth it in the long run, as Cave may be the perfect choice to help resurrect the fading franchise.

He made his screenwriting debut with John Hillcoat's 1988 prison drama "Ghosts … of the Civil Dead," but what really has this lifelong "Crow" fan excited is Cave's impressive work on Hillcoat's gritty Australian Western "The Proposition," which was awesome.

While Cave's record label may not like to publicize his other career as a successful screenwriter, there's no doubt that he is in major demand, especially after having been named one of Variety's 10 Screenwriters to Watch in 2006.

Last year, it was announced that Cave had written "The Promised Land," an adaptation of Matt Bondurant's bootlegging novel "The Wettest County in the World." Hillcoat would once again direct, and Shia LaBeouf was attached to star. There were reports that the project had "fallen apart" earlier this year but it seems like the film is still in development at Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher's Red Wagon Entertainment.

More recently, actor Andy Serkis revealed that he and Cave are planning a motion-capture version of "The Threepenny Opera." Although it's unclear whether Cave will be writing the screenplay or simply contributing music for the feature adaptation of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill's classic 1928 musical/operetta, it's nonetheless an ambitious project that shows what kind of material Cave is interested in.

Several years ago, Variety reported that Cave and Hillcoat were collaborating on "Death of a Ladies' Man," an English tragicomedy named after the Leonard Cohen song that was set to star "The Proposition's" Ray Winstone as a sex addicted salesman who is forced to take his young son on the road with him after his wife commits suicide.

And before that, Russell Crowe asked Cave to write a sequel to "Gladiator," which would have ended with "a 20-minute war sequence that ended up in Vietnam, and then in a toilet in the Pentagon, with [Crowe] as this rage-fueled eternal warrior." Unfortunately, the studio rejected the script, as it proved impossible to finance.

Expect an announcement in the coming weeks about who will land the coveted role of Eric Draven in the reconceptualized remake of "The Crow," which will feature the titular bird as more of a full-fledged character than in Alex Proyas' 1994 original.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Had to add this

Nick Cave Taking On 'The Crow,' So Lady Gaga Should Tackle 'Star Wars'
    Posted 20 hrs ago by Kyle Anderson in Music

In addition to being an iconic star in the underground music scene, Nick Cave has also carved out an incredible niche for himself in the film world. He worked on the music for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," penned the screenplay for the 2005 indie hit "The Proposition" and contributed to the Leonard Cohen tribute film "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man." His most recent project is his most intriguing yet. According to the Wrap, Cave is working on a screenplay for a remake of "The Crow," the 1994 action film directed by Alex Proyas about an undead avenger (originally played by Brandon Lee). The original flick was a Goth-punk asskicker of a movie that was incredibly dark and featured a killer soundtrack (featuring Nine Inch Nails, the Cure, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine and the Jesus and Mary Chain), and the new version (to be directed by "Blade" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" helmer Stephen Norrington) should have the same kind of dark underbelly and cutthroat attitude.

Cave has experience in screenwriting (he also wrote a sequel to "Gladiator" that was never made), but lack of experience doesn't necessarily disqualify the following musicians from dipping into the screenwriting game. Here are six musicians and the remakes they should attempt.

Lady Gaga, "Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace"
    No, seriously. It'll totally work. Even among hardcore "Star Wars" fanatics, everybody pretty much agrees that "The Phantom Menace" is a mess, full of preposterous exposition, endless scenes of parliamentary procedure and far too much Jar Jar Binks. Considering the elaborate, otherwordly story that Lady Gaga tells over the course of her Monster Ball shows, why not let her dream up some stuff that might actually reset the "Star Wars" universe properly?

Dave Grohl, "Mallrats"
    The premise of Kevin Smith's second film — two slackers hit up the mall to try to win back the hearts of their respective exes — is primed for comedy greatness, but the finished product is somewhat airless and flat. Hand the reigns over to the manic, fun-loving frontman of Foo Fighters. He's got a killer sense of humor, a great sense of play and enough heart to totally make it work.

Wayne Coyne, "The Wizard of Oz"
    As the frontman for the Flaming Lips, Coyne already builds elaborate fantasy worlds full of wondrous hallucinations and child-like fear. If that doesn't describe "The Wizard of Oz," then nothing does. Coyne also gets bonus points for having written the Flaming Lips' film "Christmas on Mars," still one of the most surreal experiments to hit the cinemas in the past decade.

Diddy, "Scarface"
    It's one of Diddy's favorite flicks, and it's dying for a remake. Though plenty of gangster narratives have borrowed elements from Brian De Palma's original 1983 epic, Diddy could lend his particular voice to a brand-new version that updates Tony Montana for the 21st century.

Craig Finn, "Can't Hardly Wait"
    The 1998 original is an excellent slice of end-of-the-millennium nostalgia, but it's a little too scrubbed around the edges to be considered accurate. Enter Craig Finn, frontman of the Hold Steady. He already constructs deep narratives about kids getting too high and running into trouble on the comedown, and he would also get to indulge in his obsession with the Replacements (the film is named after one of the band's best songs). Also, that scene where Jenna Elfman visits Ethan Embry feels like it was taken out of a Hold Steady song already.

Katy Perry, "She's All That"
    It's an old story that has been remade many times (it's based on "Taming of the Shrew"), but in an ideal world, Perry would do something drastic and unpredictable like reverse the genders of the characters so that two women are betting they can remake a guy. Now that's a movie that could get a green light.
    I confess. I'd be very into Lady Gaga's version of Phantom Menace...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

agreeed....it be total avant garde...and tons of nudity,lol. george lucas would be into it. well maybe not the nudity part.

Marky Mark?

As the Crow? I've been thinking they should offer this to Jaycee Chan. He'd make a good emo Crow.
    Mark Wahlberg Offered Lead Role in 'The Crow' Remake
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010
    By: MrDisgusting

Bloody Disgusting has confirmed exclusively that Mark Wahlberg was offered the lead role in Relativity Media's The Crow, a remake of the 1994 film that starred Brandon Lee as a man (Eric Draven) brutally murdered that comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée's murder. The film was an adaptation of James O'Barr's incredible comic series. Iconic musician and acclaimed screenwriter Nick Cave has been working on a rewrite with Stephen Norrington (Blade, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ) attached to direct. The new tale is said to take place in Detroit. Now, the offer has been made, therefore Wahlberg could (and hopefully will) decline. I can't say this news has me swimming in excitement.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i dont see wahlberg taking this role. he has been staying far far away from the whole superhero thing so...i think he will continue that trend. jaycee chan??? comeongene that was just scarey...lol

Boo!

I appreciate that you can appreciate my sense of humor about that, Doug.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No Wahlberg, no Jaycee.

How about Jay chou, Doug? I know! Jayden Smith!!
    Exclusive: Mark Wahlberg Not Starring in 'The Crow' Remake
    By Todd Gilchrist. Posted Nov 22nd 2010 6:27PM

Mark Wahlberg, star and producer of the new movie 'The Fighter,' told Cinematical that contrary to earlier reports, he is not going to be a part of the forthcoming remake of 'The Crow.' "We never committed to making the movie," Wahlberg said in a one-on-one interview in Los Angeles on Saturday. "They talked to me about it and there was a director attached who I was a fan of, and he's no longer doing it. We just thought about it – 'is there something cool to be done there?' But we're not committed to making the movie."

In the meantime, Wahlberg has two other upcoming projects that he is starring in, including a remake of an acclaimed but little-seen Icelandic film from 2008. "We're doing a movie called 'Contraband' in January, which is a remake of an Icelandic movie called 'Reykjavik Rotterdam,' Wahlberg revealed. "It's very, very cool, kind of like a heist thriller - very smart, very original, aside from the fact that it's a remake. And nobody saw it, so it will be something different for American audiences."

Additionally, Wahlberg is starring in an upcoming film to be directed by 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane. "Then [I'm] doing another comedy with Seth MacFarlane – his directorial debut. I'm just off-the-charts excited about that."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

jay chou...is a bad actor in two languages. his english is horrendous. jayden lol, i doubt his parents would take the role. you never know with that **** kid. lol.

Jay is coming here

Well, not here to the office but to the S.F. Bay Area. He's got a NYE show scheduled at the HP Pavilion. $100 just to get in the door (not counting parking). Unfortunately, I don't work the HP, but that's just as well. I've got another date for NYE.
    Jay Chou
    No video or audio recorders. No cameras. Subject to change.
    Comerica Bank Club TBD
    Restaurant TBD
    Arena Setup: 31-Dec-10
    ShowTime: 9:00 PM
    Doors Open: 8:00PM
    Approx. Length:
    Seating Chart $101-$301
    On Sale: NOW
    Discounts:
    Parking: $20
    Gene Ching