View Poll Results: Would you bet the Universe?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd bet the universe.

8 66.67%
  • No, I wouldn't bet the universe.

4 33.33%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Poll: For those not believing in God

For 23 p, what is the fundamental diference between Presbyterians and Episcopalians?

they are both protestant churches.

But when you look for the answer, you'll find a couple of more questions and you will come to realize that church is more about politics than it is about church.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Reverend, I think that whether or not atheism constitutes a system of belief depends entirely on how you come to it.

If you are an atheist because the existence of God cannot be proven from observable, repeatable experiments, then I don't think that makes you much more than an empiricist. It could be possible to "believe" (I use the word colloquially here) in only things that are demonstrably factual (vice true).

Note that being an empiricist in this sense is fraught with its own problems....nor does being one imply a greater or lesser sense of reality or reason than somebody with a different viewpoint.

Folks are certainly free to disagree with my comments above. Such is the nature of argumentation.

However, the most accurate explanation of faith and belief has always seemed to me to be Kierkegaard's; belief is something you maintain in SPITE OF THE ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE, or EVIDENCE AGAINST IT.

I realize this all butts up against the absence of evidence/evidence of absence argument, but, ultimately, really, who cares?

Only apologists and atheists ;-)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    For 23 p, what is the fundamental diference between Presbyterians and Episcopalians?

they are both protestant churches.

But when you look for the answer, you'll find a couple of more questions and you will come to realize that church is more about politics than it is about church.
    This; BTW, I would wager that God doesn't exist. If he doesn't, I've lost nothing. If he does, he's not going allow the universe to end because I'm being a putz.

Really, this is just a negative reformulation of Pascal's Wager. Kind of boring. Oh, and ultimately a really crappy, 'missing the point' sort of reason to believe in God.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I'm trying to justify in my mind why this thread is on a kung fu bulletin board and I'm completely striking out.

Any god desiring worship is not worthy of worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    This; BTW, I would wager that God doesn't exist. If he doesn't, I've lost nothing. If he does, he's not going allow the universe to end because I'm being a putz.

Really, this is just a negative reformulation of Pascal's Wager. Kind of boring. Oh, and ultimately a really crappy, 'missing the point' sort of reason to believe in God.
    Not sure what this comment means or how it relates to my post.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I saw a funny motivational poster the other day with a picture of the Norse God Thor. The caption read:

"My god has a hammer. Your god was nailed to a cross. Any questions?"

I know that organization, it's called the Nietzcheism.

Graffiti on a bathroom wall:

God is Dead ~ Nietzche

beneath it:

Nietzche is Dead ~ God

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by david jamieson View Post
    graffiti on a bathroom wall:

god is dead ~ nietzche

beneath it:

nietzche is dead ~ god

bbbwwaaahhhhh !!!!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !