View Poll Results: Would you bet the Universe?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd bet the universe.

8 66.67%
  • No, I wouldn't bet the universe.

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: For those not believing in God

Poll: For those not believing in God

For those who do not believe in a higher power/God/"other names" here's a fun question I pose sometimes to folks

It's a bet. Would you be willing to bet the existence of the universe on their being no higher power. In other words you would be betting against an intelligent design, b/c you believe in only what you can see and touch. That nothing happens after death. Etc.

If you are correct, you will become known as the person who once and for all solved and proved that there is nothing else out there, thereby settling the populations mind about the most common question considered by mankind. You would be immortal. For this response, choose "Yes, I'd bet the Universe."

If you are incorrect and lose, the entire universe will be obliterated. All life, all molecules and particles that were part of everything that had existed, and would have been, are gone. You will be known, among the "higher power," to be that one infamous example of humanity that all others should be measured by. For this response, choose "No, I would not bet the Universe."

That's it.

You know, there are some that Believe in God that also believe that nothing happens after you die, till the "end of days" and the Ressurection of the body.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That's true. But for the purposes of this question, that would be considered "after" death, albeit a while afterwards.

If you are incorrect and lose, the entire universe will be obliterated. All life, all molecules and particles that were part of everything that had existed, and would have been, are gone.
    Wouldn't obliterating the universe also obliterate "the higher power," thereby making me THE highest power, which means there was no power higher than me in the first place?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don’t believe in God. I like to think there is something spiritual in the world but I have no proof.

I see no harm in living your life as if you do not believe in god. You should be a moral person because it is the right thing to do…not because some big brother is watching over you (hey it rhymed)

as far as the OT question I would phone a friend.

No, the higher power here is actually at a so-called higher plane, outside the universe. The higher power is not made up of universe energy/particles and is not constrained by the laws of the universe/physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    I don’t believe in God. I like to think there is something spiritual in the world but I have no proof.

I see no harm in living your life as if you do not believe in god. You should be a moral person because it is the right thing to do…not because some big brother is watching over you (hey it rhymed)

as far as the OT question I would phone a friend.

Well, than you in a sense would fall under "believing in a higher power" in this question. It doesn't have to be a man with a beard or a great buddha. It's just something outside the Universe that purposely created it. Proof is not necessary here.

If this is something that really interests you guys, you have to read "God's Debris" by Scott Adams. Talk about things that make you say "hmm..."
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Higher power isn't necessarily a god and not believing in god doesn't make one immoral.

betting is a sin however.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Higher power isn't necessarily a god and not believing in god doesn't make one immoral.

Yup I agree 100%...
    but try telling that to the god freaks that shove it down one's throat.

ughhhh

Of course there's a God:
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Of course there's a God:
    your god is HOT!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    Yup I agree 100%...
    but try telling that to the god freaks that shove it down one's throat.

ughhhh
    I believe in God, yet I believe gambling is each person's own choice to make.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

your god is HOT!
    I agree, I will believe in that god anyday

So is boiling a kid in its mother’s milk.

Fairytales....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.