Thread: Wing Chin Pok Do? How do you feel about this

Wing Chin Pok Do? How do you feel about this

Ok… not really criticizing the video or the practitioners, just but after watching this it got me thinking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXPZK...eature=related

Years ago, a Karate (think Shotkan) practitioner friend of mine told me that they also learn their katas using different weapons. So basically you can do any empty hand form with either a sword or something else. Fair enough, this could apply to CMA too. But certain weapons have certain characteristics and methods, and I’m wondering if it is really wise to mix these up in the way these guys seem to do?

With WC staff (or Southern staff) you hold the staff in such a way, I don’t think that if you had a real combat heave pok do, that it would actually be wise to hold it like that?

I’ve seen people do Broadsword forms using a straightsword and vice versa…

What do you think?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I’ve seen people do Broadsword forms using a straightsword and vice versa…

What do you think?
    I have seen this alot from bull**** made-up systems posing as CMA.
    I don't blame the students, as they are only doing what they were taught. I blame the teachers, who are charletans, and rip off their students, and rob them of the opportunity to experience real TCMA.

There is a "shaolin" school in NYC-two generations. The "Sifu" doesn't even realise that HIS "Sifu" is a charletan, so he is very exuberant about his art. He thinks he is teaching Kung-Fu. Pity.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 02-06-2009 at 07:00 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It is a shame when students/teachers are learning stuff like this. It's obvious that he has not been taught how to use this weapon correctly at all. Now either he is a terrible student or his teacher was a terrible student, I don't know. But it is terrible when this sort of thing happens. No clue whatsoever.

I guess it's OK for him to practice and experiment with new weapons, so long as he doesn't misrepresent it and claim it came from elswhere like some super advanced hidden form. I'm not crazy about him teaching it to his students, but it's always let the buyer beware!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I recall a KF tournament where a certain "Sifu," performed the Hung-Ga butterfly knives set, using Tiger Hooks.
    He took first.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I recall a KF tournament where a certain "Sifu," performed the Hung-Ga butterfly knives set, using Tiger Hooks.
    He took first.
    hey, I did a Lama form with sticks once at an FMA tournament and got second, LOL