Thread: SPM (Chu Ga) Sparring Clips

SPM (Chu Ga) Sparring Clips

I don't wanna make any judgments or comments just passing by some clips I saw.

Anyways here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWqf2...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Zer...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vmk2...e=channel_page

And this one not fighting but form . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvkS...e=channel_page

Anyway how do you think these fights are. I think maybe OK . . . but they can improve a lot too.

I notice they don't keep chins down. I think that's a bad habit . . .
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Certain systems don't really lend themselves very well to "sparring" and SPM is one of those systems.
    It will with more look like a slap fest or crappy kickboxing and won't be much of SPM at all in it.
    As we can see in the videos shown.
    As for the chin up thing, that comes from lack of sparring and being "fearful" of moving in and getting hit in the face.
    You won't see many boxers doing this because they lose that tribidation early on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I understand what you mean but do you agree that if they did more sparring (with bare knuckles or MMA gloves) that they will become better fighters and be able to use their style better in combat. Sparring and street like self defense?

Thanks
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I understand what you mean but do you agree that if they did more sparring (with bare knuckles or MMA gloves) that they will become better fighters and be able to use their style better in combat. Sparring and street like self defense?

Thanks
    That is a given, most of any systems "practical problems" can be solved by more realistic sparring.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't see any southern praying mantis...

Quote Originally Posted by panthermantis View Post
    I see what you mean by this? I see the guy is trying to use the stuff at least right? I don't know much about south mantis but it looked like the stance and hands are supposed to be like mantis?

I don't know
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    It would be nice to see some kook lum SPM free sparring, not the cooperative type

Quote Originally Posted by panthermantis View Post
    There's some interesting training here, on a scale of 1 to 10 of sparring it would be down at the little end, as anybody can observe, its kinda the kung fu equivalent of point sparring or touch sparring, but I can see some SPM.

The first two clips appear to be the 'coach' letting the others attack him until he decides he's had enough. The last clip seems to be a bit more of a test, but there is so little aggression.

Thing is, with this kind of play, you focus on the subset that works under those circumstances, thus almost no trapping, no real speed (it leads to the heavier contact they are avoiding in a 'gentlemanly' manner.

Its difficult to open it up into that "one combination that finishes" style of fighting that these hakka styles are know for. I think only the coach had the skill for that anyway, so, chalk it up to teaching 'ring craft' as opposed to sparring. IMHO.

These are slow styles to learn, everything is done in baby steps.

There are some clips like this of Pak Mei sparring, Sifu Luo and Coconis. Westerners, and a bit more aggressive but less technical, an interesting comparison.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Very good and thoughtful reply Yum Cha.
    - Yagyū Munenori

The form looks a little "crane" like, from my limited knowledge.

Fujian white crane has a lot in common with SPM and Bak Mei. If you look at Uechi ryu's Sanchin form, you'll see some incredible similarities to fujian white crane as well.

Cama's Southern Mantis students

Chi Sao competition 2008 Wong Fei Hung Championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_LqH...754892&index=9

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Chi Sao competition 2008 Wong Fei Hung Championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_LqH...754892&index=9
    Is this suppose to be a form of sparring?
    - Yagyū Munenori

The rules were for "light to non-contact" which ended up with some of the students being disqualified. In actual practice there is heavy body contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The rules were for "light to non-contact" which ended up with some of the students being disqualified. In actual practice there is heavy body contact.
    Oh I see so it is quite different or suppose to be quite different than the Wing Chun type of chi sau?

Thanks
    - Yagyū Munenori