Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: health benefits of urine

I love it when a thread comes around....

I can't wait for Machida to market his own power drink...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by geneching View Post
    i can't wait for machida to market his own power drink...
    lmao !!!!!!
    :d

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I can't wait for Machida to market his own power drink...
    with the words... "bottled at the source" on the label.

Greetings,

I have tried my own urine and I am still alive. The only thing is that I have been very apologetic, lately.

mickey

China Urine Therapy Association

Welcome to the China Urine Therapy Association: A hilarious encounter with the leader of club who drinks his own wee every single day, claiming it cures everything from tumours, to broken bones... and his own baldness

China Urine Therapy Association's made up of people who drink urine daily
    Bao Yafu, head of Wuhan branch, has been drinking it every day since 1972
    Mr Bao, 80, claims it cured his canker sores, constipation and his baldness
    It had around 400 members when it was formed in 2008, now has over 1,000
    Medical experts say urine is the body's waste and it has no health benefits

By Jamie Fullerton In Wuhan, China For Mailonline
    Published: 02:12 EST, 14 August 2015 | Updated: 04:45 EST, 14 August 2015

It's mid-morning in the Kangyuyuan residential area in the city of Wuhan, China. Bao Yafu and Yi Dongshan are about to enjoy their first cups of urine of the day.

Having returned from the bathroom of the cluttered China Urine Therapy Association office, they head to the roof terrace clasping newly-filled cups of dark yellow waste liquid, each with a little head of foam on top.

'Delicious! I want more!' says Mr Yi, 61, after enthusiastically taking a sip of his own effluent.

'Mine tastes like light tea,' says Mr Bao, 80, after drinking his.

The pair polish off the rest of the contents of their cups. Mr Yi, who is sporting a fetching pair of knock-off Playboy shoes, splashes a bit around his face with his hands and dribbles some down his stripy shirt.

Since 2010, Mr Bao has been the head of the Wuhan branch of the China Urine Therapy Association, an organisation comprised of people who drink their own urine every day.

Morning drink: Bao Yafu (pictured) heads up the Wuhan branch of the China Urine Therapy Association, an organisation made up of people who drink their own urine daily

Refreshing: MailOnline met Mr Bao (right) and Yi Dongshan (left) - another member - as they began their morning with an early cup of urine

Miracle: Mr Bao (pictured) was introduced to urine therapy in Hong Kong, where the association's main office is based, and says hair started to grow on his bald head after he started it

Multipurpose: Mr Bao (pictured) doesn't just drink urine, he also washes his eyes, ears and face with it

The association, which is not recognised by China's Ministry of Health, was set up in Hong Kong in 2008, with the Wuhan office opening in 2008. Membership has grown from an early count of around 400 to today's total of roughly 1,000.

Ignoring medical consensus – and anyone who believes that drinking urine is just plain disgusting – members believe that drinking it prolongs life, improves health and can even cure diseases such as cancer.

MailOnline was invited to the office for a closer look at the bizarre practice. The poky apartment certainly gives an indication of how fervently Mr Bao believes in his endeavor.

Urine therapy newsletters are stacked high on a bench and bottles of cloudy yellow liquid are lined up on a coffee table.

Our host explains that he has been drinking urine daily since 1972. He was introduced to the practice by a family in Hong Kong, where the main office of the association is based.

The family claimed that drinking it restored the ailing father of their clan to health.

Mr Bao says that after being convinced to give it a whirl, daily urine doses led to him being cured of constipation and canker sores. Then, he claims, after six months his previously-bald head started sprouting hair again.

Impressive: Mr Bao demonstrated his age-defying energy for MailOnline at a nearby park

Taking work home: MailOnline visited the home of Mr Bao, which doubles as the Wuhan branch's office, where bottles of cloudy yellow liquid are lined up on a coffee table (pictured)

Vintage: On Mr Bao's coffee table sit two vials of two-year-old urine which he has kept as an experiment to test the health benefits of drinking aged effluent

Outlandish: Mr Bao's (left) tales of miracle cures include a man who was freed from his vegetative state after he regularly drank his son's urine

Tasty: Mr Yi (pictured) says that he turned to urine drinking after discovering that he had a cancerous tumour on his jaw

While today he happily sips his own urine without gagging or retching, he admits that when he first tried it he was concerned about how it would taste.

'I held the cup for a while then plucked up the courage to drink about 100ml whilst holding my nose,' he says.

'I found that it didn't taste of much, and in fact tasted better than some traditional Chinese medicines. I made it a habit to drink 100ml a day from then, and now I'm on 300ml a day.'

Last year, speaking to the South China Morning Post, nephrology doctor Chen Wenli explained why drinking urine is not beneficial.

'Five per cent of urine is nitrogenous waste, which is mainly urea, while the other 95 per cent is all water,' he said.

He added: 'If the person is ill, there will also be sugar, protein, red and white blood cells and ketone bodies in the urine. Because the toxin dispelled by the body may end up in metabolite products like urine, there is no good in drinking it.'
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

Now this is a brave reporter.

MY EXPERIENCE OF URINE THERAPY

I can feel the natural warmth of my urine through the clear plastic cup as I hold it. Bao Yafu, the 80-year-old leader of the China Urine Therapy Association, had asked me to sample my own effluent to help me understand his perspective on life, health and drinking habits more.

'I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat much salt, so my urine doesn't taste too salty or bitter,' he says.

'Some people say their urine tastes like purified water. I suggest that new urine therapy practitioners eat a plum the night before they start, so their urine will taste like plum.

'We can decide the taste of the urine by adjusting our diet. Whether you want apple urine or tea urine, all are available.'

Mr Bao didn't think to give me the plum message ahead of my meeting with him. So, instead of fruity tang, I wonder if my urine is going to taste like the beef stew and Belgian beer I had consumed the previous evening.

Try anything once: MailOnline's Jamie Fullerton (left) sampled his own urine alongside Mr Bao (centre) and Mr Yi (right)

As much as that taste combination would normally be a pleasant prospect, I find it incredibly hard to take the first sip. But I do it, dry-swallowing a small amount. It tastes of, well… nothing. Just water.

It's a relief but, after my mild gagging has subsided, the lack of a definable taste doesn't make my second sip any easier.

The barrier is, of course, purely psychological. Knowing that what I am drinking was just two minutes ago swirling around in my bladder is a mind hurdle too high to fully clear.

I manage to take another small sip then concede that the full cup just isn't going to go down.

I pour the remaining liquid down the toilet and, while Mr Bao goes about wiping urine over his face, resolve to have a serious conversation with myself about what I'm doing with my life.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

In 2013 GP Dr Rob Hicks told MailOnline: 'Over the years many people have claimed health benefits from drinking their own urine, but as far as I'm aware there is no scientific evidence to back-up these claims.

'The kidneys are an efficient filtering system getting rid of what the body doesn't need, so to put this back into the body seems counter-productive.'

But the China Urine Therapy Association's line is that the liquid garners nutrients from blood, so is beneficial. Its official literature reads: 'Urine comes from blood. Its chemical components come from blood and equal those of blood. The urine from a healthy person is sterile.'

In line with this stance, Mr Bao won't entertain any experts' dismissals of his habit. Sitting in the main office room next to the association's wall-mounted official green flag, he waves around a printout of a 2013 Canadian scientific study of the complexity of urine named The Human Urine Metabolome.

He cites the study as justification for the view that urine is far more than just a waste product. His claims about the curing abilities of the liquid, however, are based on dubious anecdotes. They get more outlandish as the morning progresses.

Turning back the years: He showed off his impressive acrobatic skills to 'prove' how urine has helped him feel young and nimble

Swing when you're winning: 'People who drink urine appear younger than those who don't,' says Mr Bao (pictured)

Legends: Mr Bao also claims that an elderly Chinese woman healed her broken ribs by soaking a gauze in urine and placing it on the injured area

Fetching: Mr Yi, a member of the China Urine Therapy Association, sports a pair of knock-off Playboy shoes as he splashes some urine on his face

Mr Bao says that he knows of an elderly Shanghai woman whose ribs were broken in a violent attack. 'She asked her daughter to buy her a pot and gauze,' he says.

'Then she peed in the pot, soaked the gauze, wrapped it on her ribs then did it again and again for five days.

'An X-ray was done and the ribs were shown to be healed. The doctor asked what treatment she had received and she said, "I won't tell you – you make money, but we don't".'

He shows a photograph of someone he claims is a peasant who used to be in a vegetative state following a brain hemorrhage.

'One of our members went to his house and got him to regularly drink his son's urine,' he says. 'Ten months later he could walk like nothing had happened.'

His friend Mr Yi, who has a job erecting advertising billboards, adds his own story. He says that he turned to urine drinking after discovering that he had a cancerous tumour on his jaw.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

A BRIEF HISTORY OF URINE THERAPY

Urine therapy may not have a medical basis in reality, but it does have a long cultural history.

The practice is thought to date back to the Bible era, with the Romans said to be particularly keen on it.

Last century it was brought to wide public awareness in the UK by the alternative medicine advocate John W Armstrong. In his 1945 book The Water Of Life: A Treatise On Urine Therapy Mr Armstrong noted documentation of urine therapy use in 17th Century Britain, writing: 'Urine, extolled by many of the ancients, but misunderstood by the semi‐moderns, now appears in the light of a wonderful reservoir a 12 philtre of pre‐eminent value.' He suggested drinking it daily to maintain health.

The book was an influential tome in the development of urine therapy and found an audience in India, where the practice may have originated from. Books such as Manav Mootra: Auto Urine Therapy by Raojibhai Manibhai, released in 1959, helped keep the practice alive.

Legacy: Books such as Manav Mootra: Auto Urine Therapy by Raojibhai Manibhai, which was first published in 1959, kept the ancient practice alive

Gandhi was known to be a urine drinker. Likely turned onto the habit by copying figures such as the Indian independence movement leader, musicians such as The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards, The Doors' Jim Morrison and The Beatles' John Lennon were rumoured to have dabbled in it.

Urine therapy survived the hippy era, with figures such as US health guru and radio host Gary Null advocating it in the 1990s. In 1992 Null advised radio listeners to mix urine with orange juice and keep it in the fridge and broadcast interviews with patients who claimed to have been made better by drinking the stuff.

There was enough interest in urine therapy in Hong Kong in 2008 for the China Urine Therapy Association to open there in 2008, with a branch in Wuhan on Mainland China following in 2010. The association now boasts 1,000 members.

Today urine therapy remains a minority pursuit, but there is one use of it that many people have tried: applying it to skin after jellyfish stings to quell the pain. Contrary to popular belief, there is no scientific evidence that this actually works.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

13 years ago he was told he needed drastic surgery that would render him dumb and unable to eat solids for six months.

'It was unacceptable – I am a person who loves to speak and smile,' he says. 'I was ready to give up and felt like ending my life in a cave with sleeping pills and alcohol.

'Mr Bao, who I am friends with through exercise sessions in the park, advised me to try urine therapy.

'I didn't feel it was disgusting – for a person who already had feelings of suicide it was an easy thing to do. Since I've been drinking it my tumour has become under control, going from 2cm wide to the size of a small bean.

'I have no problems with blood pressure. Plus, I was fat before and couldn't lose weight no matter how hard I tried, but urine helps clean your intestine so now my weight is standard.'

Most doctors would balk at the idea of using urine therapy to try and cure serious illness. But Mr Bao insists that his anecdotes prove he is on to something.

Don't look now: Mr Bao, who uses urine to wash his eyes (pictured), told MailOnline: 'I am 80-years-old but my vision is perfect'

He also believes that he might one day push forward knowledge of urine therapy with his own 'experiments'.

He points to the coffee table, on which lies a sealed bottle of dark yellow liquid, another cap-less one with mould inside, and an even more mould-encrusted cup.

'This is an experiment – I've kept urine in these for two years,' he says. 'I'm trying to find out more about the benefits of old urine.

We used to believe that only fresh urine is beneficial, but in 2004 someone from Hong Kong found that old urine can cure constipation.'

Mr Bao doesn't stop at drinking urine – he also washes his eyes, ears and face with it. He demonstrates on the roof terrace, bathing his eyeballs in an eye bath full of fresh urine before slapping a load over his face.

'I do this when I wake up,' he says. 'I am 80-years-old but my vision is perfect. I also use urine to soak my ears.

'You can do so many things with urine, like washing your hair with it.'

He says that he's not worried about getting a reputation for smelling iffy because only stale urine smells bad – and he mainly sticks to the fresh stuff.

He's incredibly sprightly for a man his age – a fact he demonstrates by taking MailOnline to a nearby park to show off acrobatic exercises.

'People who drink urine appear younger than those who don't,' he says, 'Back in 2001 I declared that I want to live until I'm 120.'

Aroma: Mr Bao is not worried about getting a reputation for smelling bad because he tends to only drink fresh urine which does not give off a bad odour, he claims

Tragedies could be caused if Mr Bao convinced anyone to forgo proper medical treatment for serious illness and turn to urine therapy instead.

But he insists that promoting drinking urine as part of a general healthy lifestyle is his main message, rather than relying on it as a cure.

He is clearly delusional, but his fantastic health in comparison to his age has served to buttress his view that urine is to thank for it.

Furthermore, although delusional, his beliefs are sincere.

The association is a non-profit organisation and costs just 20 Yuan (£2) to join, with the extremely poor given free membership.

It's not a crackpot scam system preying on the ill.

His urine drinking obsession has also given Mr Bao a strong focus in life as well as a big friendship network.

Members often go on holiday together, and Mr Bao proudly shows photos of trips to the beach they've taken.

Clearly, although there is almost certainly no medical benefit in drinking urine, the process of doing so has been good for his mental wellbeing.

'Urine is not here to just cure diseases, rather to help improve your whole body system,' he says.

'I have been drinking urine for 23 years, during which time I've not spent a penny on hospital fees. I am used to it now. It's… tasty!'

Good ol' urineotherapy. Always post-worthy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slighty OT

...because it's Friday, and this needed to be passed on to all of you.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No way you can mistake a cup of wizz for lemonade. Yuck, I'll pass on that one. If your life depended on it , you can drink urine once only. Second time it goes through the system it becomes poison and will kill grass, for instance. That's why I never wizz in the same place out in the back yard late at night while catching some air. So, considering the fact that it is one stage away from creating a poison-wizz beverage, I would say these guys are just full of wizz. Cow's urine is antiseptic and was originally one of the ingredients in aspirin. Old Chinese antiseptic for wounds was to use a child's urine to ward off infection. I'll stick with my gummy vitamins.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-09-2015 at 09:46 PM.

I remember reading decades ago that the drinking of one's own urine had become somewhat of a fad amongst some celebrities and some other 'health-conscious' folks in Japan. IMO, it's a bunch of nonsense. Urine is excreted from the body for a good reason. Probably the least harmful possible outcome of drinking urine, IMO, might be chronic p!ss breath, which would still be no bed of roses. Though I suppose Bear Grylls might enjoy it.

More on the China Urine Therapy Association

Same ol' pix tho...

Old man has been drinking his own **** for the past 23 years, claims it cures all illnesses

The Department of Policies, Laws and Regulations has just released a long list of a total of 748 associations that earn money through welcoming new members. Included on that list is the China Urine Therapy Association, leading many to wonder, just the heck does that group do?
    Well, some people try to become more healthy simply through regular exercise and eating healthy. Others in China try out different kinds of bizarre traditional Chinese therapies that are sure to weird you out -- including urine therapy.
    "It's been 23 years. I've been drinking urine since I was 48. Urine can cure all illnesses, like back problems, emphysema and farsightedness," one old man from Chengdu, who is a chief managing director of the China Urine Therapy Association, told a Chengdu Economic Daily reporter. He confesses that he is obsessed with drinking urine. After his daughter had gotten wind of his obsession, she nearly broke off all contact with him.
    Here's his unique health regimen:
    1) He wakes up around 5 to 6 a.m. every day.
    2) He pours water and puts a kilo of monk fruit into a porcelain jar the night before and he drinks it the next morning.
    3) He only chugs down his own urine after 5 p.m.
    “I drink 500 to 1,000 ml of urine five to six times a day,” he said. After tasting his own pee, he says that it tastes a little sour because he drinks too little water.

When asked why he started urine therapy, he explains that a urine therapy campaign came to his neighborhood in 1993. He bought a book on the subject for 7.8 yuan and began reading. After reading over it thoroughly three times, he started drinking his own pee. He claims that after drinking urine for just three months, he no longer needed to wear glasses when playing mahjong.
    Even though the old man claims that urine therapy has made him healthier than he has ever been, it has not actually been officially proven to be medically effective or beneficial. Wang Xiaodong, a doctor at the Chengdu First People’s Hospital said that he wouldn’t advocate urine therapy to patients because urine consists of human waste which is not beneficial to health at all. He emphasized that despite certain advantages of drinking urine written about in ancient books, there’s no concrete evidence to prove whether those advantages are valid or not.
    Another expert from West China Hospital added that there are some chemicals, like urokinase which are good for health, but they aren't easy to extract it from the urine.
    The old man is not the only one that claims that urine therapy is good for health. Back in 2014, a member of the China Urine Therapy Association, who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, made the news by insisting that he had been cured by urine therapy. Though, he seemed to deliberately exclude one little fact: he had been taking anti-hyperthyroidism medicine.
    Drinking urine might seem a bit extreme to most, but not everyone thinks so. Last year, an intrepid British reporter for MailOnline sipped his own ****. Bravo!

Bottoms up!
    By Katie Ngai
    [Images via Asian Town]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Banned in China

China Urine Therapy Association still going strong with over 4000 members after government ban

Western medicine or traditional Chinese medicine? Some opt for neither and prefer urine therapy. And yes, it's as strange as it sounds.
    Two months ago, The Department of Policies, Laws and Regulations released a list of 748 unregistered organizations that illegally earn money through members. China Urine Therapy Association was included on the list. However, it seems that the government ban hasn't slowed the flow of new members and the group has only expanded since then.
    Previously, it was reported that the association includes some 1,000 members. Now they have apparently amassed more than 4,000 devotees, via the mobile chat app QQ, SCMP reports.
    However, the group has ran into some problems with the government. In Hong Kong, they claimed to be a "non-profit non-governmental organization for the common wealth recognized by the Hong Kong SAR government," but People's Daily revealed that they do not have any recognition from the HKSAR government.

The organization was founded back in 2008 in Hong Kong, but many across China have joined in hopes of curing their diseases or maintaining their good health. For instance, one proud member, an old man from Chengdu has been drinking his own urine for the past 23 years and claims that it cures all illnesses. A younger man from Wuhan has credited urine therapy with curing his hypothyroidism.
    Bao Yafu, the chairman of the China Urine Therapy Association, consistently advocates for the benefits of drinking urine. His daily routine includes not just drinking it, but also washing his eyes and face with ****.
    As bizarre as this form of "therapy" is, the Global Times helps to explain why it is so popular. Many practitioners are from the lower socioeconomic classes and may not be able to afford standard medicine. Others may have simply lost confidence and patience with conventional health care methods and are seeking an alternative way to cure what ails them. Most who end up participating in urine therapy are senior citizens, who are susceptible to heath care fraud.
    Urine is around 95% water and 5% nutrients and minerals. It contains little toxins so it is not that risky to drink. But, we still wouldn't recommend it.
    Meanwhile, netizens are in disbelief that urine therapy is still around.
    "Why don't you guys start a 'China Poop Consuming Therapy Association'?" @病态国度F wrote.
    "Let them drink their own urine until their IQ rises," @庞观者明 wrote.
    One also made a reference to the Sun Yang vs. Mack Horton Olympic feud.
    "[Mack] Horton is the leader of this organization," @元元不能再圆了 wrote.
    Whether people like it or not, the urine drinking group will probably manage to stick around. The Municipal Bureau of Civil Affairs in Wuhan has stated that they don't have jurisdiction over the association and therefore cannot regulate them. Unless they commit a crime, they're still entitled to do as they wish.
    Bottoms up!

By Sarah Lin
    [h/t Chris Buckley]
    I'm trying to imagine how you would go ab out banning this practice. Of course, you can ban the organization, but it's not like you can control pee like you control drugs. There's always pee. You can't regulate pee.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL. They'll have to de-regulate it if they double their membership. I drink beer, kinda looks like pee, sort of. Maybe these guys never tried a good cold lager. Notice there are no women doing it. They would rather drink plum wine, Not weener beverages.