Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is kau sau (kow sau) a recognized technique in every lineage?

Is kau sau (kow sau) a recognized technique in every lineage?

Thoughts?

Ed

kau sau

Ed, I practice in the Dallas, TX area with students of sifu Cottrell and they use kau sau. This is the first time I have come across kau sau.

Rindge

It's in the dummy form, so I would guess that it's pretty common. Can't comment on "every" lineage.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Kao sao?

Of course.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Kao Sau?

Of course.
    Same here, although I wouldn't go as far to say it originates on the wooden man sets.

Method of huen sau imho.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Same here, although I wouldn't go as far to say it originates on the wooden man sets.
    I didn't say it "orignates" there. I just pointed out that it is included within the dummy form.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Kao sao

It is there in the slt that I do everyday.

joy chaudhuri

Where in SLT

Joy, if you don't mind me asking, where in slt is kau sao? I might be thinking of something else.

Thanks

Rindge

It is there in the slt that I do everyday.

joy chaudhuri

To rindge-on kow sau

After part 2 of the sil lim tao, i,e., after the section where you have the gum saos and then the spreading arm fan saos.

The next part begins with the section where you do the kao with the left hand towards the right shoulder, then you snap a reverse jut to the left while pointing fingers to the center line then do a chanjeong front wards at the neck level-then you do the huen, close the fist and return elbow to the side. Some folks do a pak instead of a kow there- but you have already done the pak earlier after the slow motions...no need to repeat the pak there.
    Except for the huen, fist and return of the elbow to the side you generally do not repeat motions in the form apart from the repeats in the slow section where you do the tan, wu and fok.

The kow has a slight hooking look to it compared to the pak and goes more towards the shoulder than the pak. The kow among other uses when well practiced can control some punches- hook type coming close towards your head. Using a different structure and facing, a western boxer could say that a parry is an equivalent.

You can do timing and flow work with the kow.
    Hope this helps.Regards,

Joy Chaudhuri

Oh Yea!!!!

After part 2 of the sil lim tao, i,e., after the section where you have the gum saos and then the spreading arm fan saos.

The next part begins with the section where you do the kao with the left hand towards the right shoulder, then you snap a reverse jut to the left while pointing fingers to the center line then do a chanjeong front wards at the neck level
    Im right with you here, Joy. We call the Kao Sao a 'receive inward' and the next move a Moy Jet(receive outward) and then the palm.

The kow has a slight hooking look to it compared to the pak and goes more towards the shoulder than the pak.

Joy Chaudhuri

Exactly
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

The next part begins with the section where you do the kao with the left hand towards the right shoulder, then you snap a reverse jut to the left while pointing fingers to the center line then do a chanjeong front wards at the neck level-then you do the huen, close the fist and return elbow to the side. Some folks do a pak instead of a kow there- but you have already done the pak earlier after the slow motions...no need to repeat the pak there.
    Except for the huen, fist and return of the elbow to the side you generally do not repeat motions in the form apart from the repeats in the slow section where you do the tan, wu and fok.

The kow has a slight hooking look to it compared to the pak and goes more towards the shoulder than the pak. The kow among other uses when well practiced can control some punches- hook type coming close towards your head. Using a different structure and facing, a western boxer could say that a parry is an equivalent.

You can do timing and flow work with the kow.
    Hope this helps.Regards,

Joy Chaudhuri
    Hi Joy, you used to term fan sao. That might be a faahk (whisking) hand to us. I'm also not sure if your kow sao is our toi or wan sao. Is there some place I can see it online?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hi again Joy, is photo number 9 on the link below what you'd call kau sau?
    http://www.awcaonline.com/forms/mukyanchong.html
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil R

Hi Phil- unfortunately i am a tech nincompoop on videos and stuff. "ED" of Windy City Wing Chun
    may have something on his site.
    I dont know TWC terms and labels vary from time to time in wing chun and so do pronunciations.
    My fak is in my biu jee. But some folks call our fun-fak. But there is a difference.
    Fun sao -the palms are facing down in slt whereas the fak in biu jee has the palms facing out for the front fak.

joy chaudhuri

Phil

Thats a completely different school- some leung Ting influence in it possibly.
    Photo #9 if I saw the right pic is not our kow sow.
    Regards, Joy

Thats a completely different school- some leung Ting influence in it possibly.
    Photo #9 if I saw the right pic is not our kow sow.
    Regards, Joy
    Thanks Joy, I wish there was spread sheet/chart or something that explained the varied WC terminologies.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr