Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cain Velasquez

Cain Velasquez

vs. Jeremiah Constant

vs. Jake O'Brien

It may seem absurd to suggest that a guy coming off knee surgery, and with only four professional fights, is all but a lock to be competing for the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight title before the end of the year.

But then, Brock Lesnar, the UFC champion, is a guy who won the title in his fourth professional fight, so it’s hardly out of the question that Cain Velasquez could have the belt around his waist before 2010 dawns.

“No doubt about it,” UFC president Dana White says assuredly of the likelihood of Velasquez fighting for the title sometime this year.

Velasquez is only 26 and has been a professional for a bit more than two years, but he’s already learned there are no guarantees in this business. And so while so many around him are giddy about his prospects, and White discusses a title shot as if it’s a fait accompli, Velasquez is simply concerned with finding a way to defeat Denis Stojnic when they meet at Ultimate Fight Night Saturday at the Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla., in a bout televised on Spike TV.

Velasquez is an overwhelming favorite to win, but he wants no part of that kind of talk. He’s prepared for Stojnic, he says, as if it were the most important fight of his life.

That’s a good move on his part, because it is. While Stojnic may be no Lesnar, a young and inexperienced fighter can’t afford a slipup and still land a title shot. With as many qualified candidates who are out there, even a prospect as highly touted as Velasquez must continue to win impressively to remain in the mix.

And so Velasquez has trained feverishly to prepare for Stojnic, a kickboxer with a 5-1 record who will be making his UFC debut.

“There are no sure things in this sport,” Velasquez said. “Denis is a super aggressive guy. He’s really strong and he likes to come forward. It’s a tough fight.”

A two-time All-American wrestler at Arizona State, Velasquez hasn’t been in anything remotely resembling a tough fight since he turned pro. He’s ended each of his four fights in the first round, with only one going past the halfway mark of the round.

He’s like the rookie outfielder that a team is so optimistic about that it puts him in the middle of the lineup and expects him to be one of the key players from Day One. Velasquez’s approach is more like he’s battling for the 25th spot on the roster.

“What other people say, I filter out,” Velasquez said. “I never listen to the hype. I have a long way to go. I need to get better in every area. Of course, you would rather people think highly of you than not, but in the end, that doesn’t really matter. What matters is how I perform and how much I learn.”

White is almost giddy about his new crop of heavyweights. In the last year, he’s added Lesnar, Velasquez, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos to a group that includes Randy Couture, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Frank Mir and Gabriel Gonzaga.

The promoter unabashedly says it’s the best group of heavyweights the company has had since he and partners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta bought it eight years ago.

“I’ve never been happier with our heavyweights in the history of the company,” White said. “We have a lot of great fighters and we have guys like Cain who are getting better every day.

“He’s one of the guys we think is going to be great and I definitely see him and Brock fighting at some point. That’s one of those fights that we haven’t even made and when you think about it, you can’t wait to see it.”

Velasquez lost a lot of momentum when he tore the meniscus in his left knee after his win over Jake O’Brien in July and required surgery. He said he doesn’t expect problems from his knee and insists he’ll be able to compete full out with no mental reservations.

“It feels like ages since I’ve had to worry about my knee,” he said.

If the knee holds up and he gets past Stojnic on Saturday, much bigger things are ahead. And he understands that because they have similar backgrounds, there are going to be plenty of comparisons between Lesnar and himself.

He’s not about to make one, though.

“It would be an honor to fight a guy like that, but I have a lot I need to do before I really even think about it more than a minute,” he said. “I’m trying to improve in every area. It’s not like I’m a finished product, by any means. I have a lot of questions to answer. I hope I have a good chin, but I haven’t been hit in a fight and I don’t know for sure. So I have a lot to do.

“The bottom line is, I can’t allow that kind of stuff to distract me or to get in the way of me doing what I have to do. When that time comes, if it comes, great. All I’m concerned about right now is the fight I have in front of me. I’ll let myself worry about that other stuff at the appropriate time.”
    What are everyone's thoughts on this guy? He is currently 4-0, never being past the 4:00 minute mark in round 1. All wins by TKO.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Cain Velasquez

Cain Velasquez who defeated Nogueira with punching wrestled here at Arizona State University. He has always been willing to learn and his training ethic is as formidable as they come.His willingness to learn and his work ethic should carry him far.

joy chaudhuri

Uh ok...are you his manager?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope

joy chaudhuri

Cain was awesome! His hand speed was second to none in the heavyweights! Very impressive fight!

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Just local pride I guess. Nothing wrong with that. Joy is an Emeritus Professor at Arizona State University.

Thx cft

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Just local pride I guess. Nothing wrong with that. Joy is an Emeritus Professor at Arizona State University.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of my wing chun gung fu students- an all American wrestler was on the same team as Cain. Cain was the hardest worker on the team- wrestling continuously with opponent after opponent on the mat.
    In preparation for mma he got other coaches for understanding a well rounded approach to the cage.My student was is also a hard worker but Cain was tops.Grapplers can be sometimes slow in developing striking skills...not the case with Cain.

BTW in a previous incarnation in a stint as a an academic administrator- most athletes were in my college- liberal arts and sciences-the biggest college in the largest U in the USA. Go Sun Devils!Douglas who was at Oklahoma State coached here before moving to Iowa State to coach wrestling. Wrestling does not draw as much of a paying audience in collegiate level compared to football and basketball and suffers budget cuts in our struggling economy. Wrestling is better supported at Oklahoma State and Oklahoma U (other past roots) and Iowa and Lehigh among other places. Oklahoma State historically filled every weight class position in matches.

joy chaudhuri

Nothing wrong with good ole fashioned pride...he put on a good show vs Nog, I'm still trying to figure out how he can defeat the champ though? Thats a tall order if he comes back healthy.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Are you referring to the trailer trash queen Lesnar? Cain will own him IMO. Cain's hands were amazingly fast!
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Are you referring to the trailer trash queen Lesnar? Cain will own him IMO. Cain's hands were amazingly fast!
    JAB
    Lesner has 40 pounds on Cain, after his cut. That size differential will be difficult to overcome.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Lesner has 40 pounds on Cain, after his cut. That size differential will be difficult to overcome.
    One any given Sunday...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One any given Sunday...
    That's what Mir said.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    JAB
    if he can keep it standing maybe, but can he stop lesnar getting the takedown?
    say what you like about him he is an amazing athlete and supremly quick with the takedown, and that 40 pound difference will matter alot

Weight does count.And the weight difference is huge.

But Caine is young,in superb shape, has good health and discipline,has good technique, speed and timing
    and courage. Could make it interesting.

joy chaudhuri