Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cain Velasquez

Most of the guys that now fight HW in MMA when they wrestled in collage did so at much lower weights because they weren't strong enough to wrestle at HW, the fact that lesnar actually wrestled at over 220 means a) he is natuarlly a big athletic monster, and b) he is very strong, if he was not his coaches would have made him cut weight. His size and athletism can also be seen in his trying out and almost making a pro football team dispite not having played at college level, as an athlete he is a feak and i doubt anyone at HW is stronger than him

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    I thought we were addressing Lesnar's MMA career (or lack there of)? Yes he was a solid wrestler, but it takes more than just wrestling to make an MMA fighter.
    lesner has like 5 fights under his belt, and is a champion, he fought two former heavyweight champions and is two and one losing to mir which is no disgrace especially it being his second or third fight( not sure). but he beat mir in the rematch and beat randy, and this is with the least mma experience of any one of the heavyweights contenders. i just think mma guys can't handle that a fake fighter(pro wrestling) has the title

its amusing too considering what pro wrestlers put their bodies through and how often they injure themselves that it is called fake

id take being a cage fighter anyday over being a pro wrestler lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

its fake but no one said it was easy

maybe choreographed would be a better description
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Cain is an excellent wrestler and so is Brock. I think Cain is a bit more technically proficient then Brock, IMO. Cain has quick, precise hands as shown against NOG, but Brock who is a very sloppy striker, has a ton of power.

I like Cain in this fight, because he has shown he can take down bigger opponents. He tossed Ben Rothwell around like a rag doll, and although Ben isn't a wrestler like Brock, he weighs A LOT, and Cain tossed him around like nothing.

Brock has yet to fight a wrestler like Cain. Yes he fought Randy, but Randy was (is) past his prime, and was more of a Greco Roman wrestler.

I think Cain can put him on his back, and we really have yet to see Brock fight from there. If stays standing, Cain wins too. Brock's biggest hole in his game is striking. Frank Mir had success standing against him in their last fight before he screwed up and got taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    Cain is an excellent wrestler and so is Brock. I think Cain is a bit more technically proficient then Brock, IMO. Cain has quick, precise hands as shown against NOG, but Brock who is a very sloppy striker, has a ton of power.

I like Cain in this fight, because he has shown he can take down bigger opponents. He tossed Ben Rothwell around like a rag doll, and although Ben isn't a wrestler like Brock, he weighs A LOT, and Cain tossed him around like nothing.

Brock has yet to fight a wrestler like Cain. Yes he fought Randy, but Randy was (is) past his prime, and was more of a Greco Roman wrestler.

I think Cain can put him on his back, and we really have yet to see Brock fight from there. If stays standing, Cain wins too. Brock's biggest hole in his game is striking. Frank Mir had success standing against him in their last fight before he screwed up and got taken down.
    Taking down a big opponent, and taking down a former heavyweight NCAA champ are two different things. i would love to see cain put brock on his back but there is no way short of an act of god (or a nice punch) this is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Taking down a big opponent, and taking down a former heavyweight NCAA champ are two different things. i would love to see cain put brock on his back but there is no way short of an act of god (or a nice punch) this is going to happen.
    yes it will likely happen by a punch after all this isnt a wrestling match its an mma fight and cain has better strikes than lesnar soooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    yes it will likely happen by a punch after all this isnt a wrestling match its an mma fight and cain has better strikes than lesnar soooooooo.
    really does he? lesnar managed to survive with mir and randy, both are meant to be good strikers, and when 2 wrestlers meet in the cage it does often turn into a wrestling match

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Just local pride I guess. Nothing wrong with that. Joy is an Emeritus Professor at Arizona State University.
    Hey I didn't know you (Joy) were a [retired] college professor! Thanks be to you then. IMO its one of the most important professions in our country.

I wish all teachers would get paid better...its a shame that guys who can throw a ball in a basket get paid millions in comparison to someone who actually improves the quality of life for our society.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Hi vankuen

I have worn several hats- but I treasure my martial art hat.My other life is not really relevant in martial arts forums. Thanks though,
    joy chaudhuri

PS- I dont know whether Lessner and Cain will ever be matched. Overcoming the weight disadvantage will be a real challenge for Cain. He cannot make a mistake.Cain is technically very good - an incredibly hard and dedicated athlete.Time is on his side...though comparatively speaking weight isn't. Remains to be seen whether the bigger guy will recover from his health setback.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Lesner has 40 pounds on Cain, after his cut. That size differential will be difficult to overcome.

This.

People don't understand the advantage that Lesnar is walking around with - not being a ****, but we do this "size doesn't matter thing," an awful lot, and boy does it ever!!! Mir beat an inexperienced Lesnar, and that was after what I consider a questionable separation by the ref when Lesnar had him on queer street.

Velasquez may be strong enough and athletic enough to outwork Lesnar. HOWEVER, people (not necessarily here) seem to be forgetting that Lesnar was an NCAA Champ as well. The man knows how to work - people who have not wrestled in college, or competed at high levels in a contact sport do not understand the kind of work it takes to win. You aren't just "more talented, or more gifted," because EVERYBODY is at that point. You have to work your ass off.

If Lesnar chooses to do so, this is going to be an incredibly tough fight for Cain. Cain's best option will, in my opinion, be to try and outstrike Lesnar. Grappling with him is a recipe for either being dominated, or wearing yourself out.

Personally, if both perform to potential, it's going to make a boring HW division. It will be Brock, then Cain, then everybody else.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

lolw atch cain double leg brock and slap him silly for one round now

most of that ufc is like that though i dotn see anyone giving bj, silva, st pierre,lyoto and possbly brock a run for their money anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    lolw atch cain double leg brock and slap him silly for one round now

most of that ufc is like that though i dotn see anyone giving bj, silva, st pierre,lyoto and possbly brock a run for their money anytime soon
    Listen to merry he is very experienced in grappling/wrestling and in competing, what he says makes a lot of sense

Ill give you BJ, silva and GSP but i think Lyoto will have his hands full for a bit, lol i think he actually lost that last fight, although luckily for him the judges somehow scored it for him, god knows what angle they were watching from

Cain

Too bad Cain hasa major rotator cuff injury..after multiple opinions- he is headed for surgery and months of therapy and recovery. But at Arizona State U and continuing onwards- he was/is super fit and dedicated and should recover well. Too bad he is out for a while.

joy chaudhuri