Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bodyguards and Assassins starring Donnie Yen

One more

Went over the word count on the last post...
    Finally! A great Chinese flick
    Thu, Dec 17, 2009
    By Tay Yek Keak

I FLUNKED my Chinese-history test in school but, even then, I am quite sure that this thing in Bodyguards And Assassins didn't happen.

I don't think that back in 1905, Sun Yat Sen, the Father of Modern China, was protected in Hong Kong by a gambler, a beggar, a rickshaw man, the winner of the 2005 Super Girl singing contest in China, and a super- tall giant who once won an NBA championship with the San Antonio Spurs.

(I digress with the latter two, but the bios of pop star Li Yuchun and former hoops star Mengke Bateer, who play a gongfu gal and a street hawker respectively, are just too wild to ignore completely.)

In Bodyguards And Assassins, fiction is incorporated with an actual historical figure and, boy, am I glad that it was done.

The film is about a motley group of patriots protecting revolutionary leader Sun from lethal assassins sent by the Qing Empress.

As the VVIP travels by rickshaw to secret meetings, they defend him stage by stage, like a poor man's version of the Secret Service.

Now, you know how the saying goes, that the best things are always kept for the last?

Well, unless an Oscar winner about the Yangtze River comes up between now and the end of this month, to me, this year's best China-Hong Kong film has been kept for the last.

Now, I love Chinese-language films like Infernal Affairs, Perhaps Love and Comrades, Almost A Love Story, but I've been grumbling about the lack of good stories in such flicks lately.

Case in point: the recent The Storm Warriors.

But Bodyguards has restored my faith in the Speak Mandarin Campaign.

Let me clarify. I'm not talking about Chinese arthouse films.

Those are naturally marked up on quality - in terms of story, script, acting, setting, and tortured souls.

I'm talking about commercial movies made for the entertainment of the least common denominator - films that allow a shallow, star-struck movie fan like me to get excited when Donnie Yen, Leon Lai, Nicholas Tse, Tony Leung Ka Fai, perpetual bad guy Hu Jun, and Eric Tsang (in his, I think, 1,000th movie) show up.

Bodyguards combines three things that I like: historical personalities, martial arts, and a throwback to old action flicks - Eastern wuxia pian and spaghetti Westerns - where match-ups of good vs evil take place along the way as mini-showdowns.

Kind of like Bruce Lee fighting his way up the pagoda against various opponents in Game Of Death, or Manchester United playing five teams to reach the FA Cup final.

Actually, structure-wise, Bodyguards reminds me of a Bruce Willis movie called 16 Blocks, where copper Bruce protected valuable witness Mos Def from other corrupt cops.

Bodyguards is a bit like that, except the heroes zip past shophouses and wonton-mee stalls.

Now, the most significant thing about Bodyguards is the way the first half was devoted to fine acting fronted mainly by a seasoned China actor, Wang Xueqi, who plays the rich tycoon that puts the Band Of Brothers (and one sister) together.

His face is etched with the dilemma of preserving his self interest or serving the greater good of the nation.

I think the same quandary of to-be or not-to-be was posed in writing the story of Bodyguards.

Luckily, in its mix of historical drama, fiction and action, it turned out really well.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Who will be the first here to post their review?
    when can i expect this in my neck of the woods, or will i have to wait till i can buy it on dvd? i dont even see it on fandango
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's a hit

Even the NYT took notice.
    Reimagining a Pivotal Year in China
    By SONIA KOLESNIKOV-JESSOP
    Published: December 23, 2009

SHANGHAI — Big, star-studded ensemble casts with their many egos are notoriously difficult to handle, and for Teddy Chen, the director of the Chinese blockbuster “Bodyguards and Assassins,” it was no different.

The film, which opened throughout most of Asia last week, features some of the hottest Chinese stars of the moment: the martial arts hero Donnie Yen, the Hong Kong actor-singer Leon Lai, the veteran actor Wang Xueqi, the Hong Kong heartthrob Nicholas Tse and Fan Bingbing, one of the most popular actresses on the mainland. There are also cameo roles by the Hong Kong star Michelle Reis and by Zhang Hanyu, the lead actor in “Assembly,” a 2007 film by Feng Xiaogang.

Over the summer, while still on the film’s set on the outskirts of Shanghai, Mr. Chen admitted to finding the experience stressful. Peter Chan, one of movie’s three producers, said he felt he also had to stay on the set throughout most of the production to “calm everybody down.”

“Movie stars are movie stars, and an ensemble cast is the one thing that scares them most,” Mr. Chan said. “They’re concerned another actor could outperform them; they could get less screen time if that’s the case. They’re afraid of letting themselves be at the mercy of the film director and producer, who have more control over the movie’s final editing because they can play out one character more than another.”

But the difficulties seem to have been worth it: “Bodyguards and Assassins” (Shi yue wei cheng) and its stars’ performances have been given the thumbs up by Chinese distributors, who dedicated 70 percent of cinema screens in the country to its opening weekend. Not surprisingly, the movie claimed the No.1 spot for Dec. 18-20, earning 74.8 million renminbi, or about $11 million. With the release of the Hollywood film “Avatar” delayed in China until early January, Mr. Chan said he is confident that “Bodyguards and Assassins” is on target to bring in a total 300 million to 350 million renminbi, which would make it one of the most successful Chinese-made movies ever.

It has been well-received by critics, with the journalist Zei Xin of Chengdu Daily noting, “The film provides what most Chinese commercial blockbusters’ lack — concrete contents and attention to details.” The movie has been sold for distribution next year in Britain and Canada.

The film takes the audience back to Hong Kong, circa 1905. The Chinese revolutionary Sun Yat-sen is due to spend a few crucial hours in the British colony, meeting other revolutionaries to plot their next move in their battle to take control of China, and the Qing empress has sent an army of assassins to kill him. With the British government deciding to stay on the sidelines, it’s up to a group of misfits — including a tofu hawker (the former NBA player Mengke Bateer), a gambler (Donnie Yen) and an opium-addicted beggar (Leon Lai) — to protect him; all of them are, of course, martial arts experts.

Mr. Chen said the inspiration for the script came from the 1973 movie “The Bodyguard,” directed by his father, Tung Man Chan. “It was just a hard-core action movie,” said Mr. Chan, who recalls going to his father’s film set as a child. But while the original film focused on a couple of characters, the new one incorporates a broader cast.

While the new version is still a fast-paced action movie, Mr. Chan believes it is closer to a disaster film in its structure. It’s reminiscent of “The Poseidon Adventure,” “Towering Inferno” or “Titanic,” he said, in that “the first half of the film is spent presenting the various characters who are going to be summoned to the task, while the second half is about the disaster” or the attempted assassination of Sun Yat-sen and how the characters deal with it.

Mr. Chen said he started working on the film 10 years ago and had faced several financial setbacks. Key to the $23 million film was an elaborate $5 million set, at one-to-one scale, of a Hong Kong neighborhood in 1905, including the historic Pottinger “Stone Slab” Street.

“I tried to talk him out of building such an elaborate set because I thought it was too expensive,” Mr. Chan said. “In hindsight, I realize he was right to hold out for it. The film set actually became the single thing that drew all the people together; it worked like magic in a way because every star who came to the set was so impressed, it gave them that extra push.”
    CCTV vid
    "Bodyguards and Assassins" sweeps big screen
    2009-12-23 10:08 BJT

From "Perhaps Love", "The Warlords", to "Bodyguards and Assassins", Peter Chan has become the only Hong Kong director to compete with mainland heavyweights like Chen Kaige, Feng Xiaogang and Zhang Yimou. Fresh from the first weekend showings of his latest film, let's take a look at how it has performed.

Since Thursday night's premiere, "Bodyguards and the Assassins" has taken seventy thousand yuan from its nationwide screenings. At a cinema in Beijing, all showings from noon to nine at night are sold out.

Audience feedback has been quite good. While some are impressed by the actors' performances, some think the mainstream theme has some entertaining elements, making it more intriguing.

According to an internet poll, sixty three percent of cinema goers give the film a score above ninety, while four out of five think both the drama and the martial arts scene are excellent.

It seems that the story about bodyguards who protect Sun Yat-sen, the forerunner of the Chinese democratic revolution from assassins will pave the way for box office success in the days to come.
    I'm very curious as to what kind of political message is embedded in this film.
    'Bodyguard and Assassins' debuts in Taiwan
    TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Eagerly anticipated action thriller, Bodyguards and Assassins, premiered at a star-studded event in Taipei last night.

The Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall was a fitting venue for the Taiwan premier of the film — which documents the story of eight body guards skilled in martial arts, who strive to protect R.O.C founder Dr. Sun Yat-sen, from relentless assassins in 1905 Hong Kong.

The event was attended by cast members Nicholas Tse, Fan Bing-bing, Wang Po-chieh, Hu Jun, Eric Tsang, and Chris Li Yu Chun, although leading lights Leon Leung and Donnie Yeh were unable to attend.

The film, which premiered in China on December 18, before raking in almost RMB 75 million at the Chinese box office in its first three days, is expected to attract international acclaim.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

B&a

I guess it's still doing well. I haven't found a good source for Asian box office results. Anyone got one?
    Entertainment: A 10-year labour of love
    2009/12/28
    Betty Lim

Nothing could stop Bodyguards and Assassins director Teddy Chan from realising his dream, not even the death of a close friend. BETTY LIM has the story.
    IT took 10 years to make, cost millions of Chinese renminbi, involved hundreds of extras and boasted a large set that included a city!

For a story that had to be told, the action/historical epic movie Bodyguards and Assassins (currently showing in cinemas nationwide) is a testament to director Teddy Chan’s dedication.

Teddy and producer Peter Chan had to endure a lot while making the movie. The filmmakers faced one crisis after another during the film’s 10-year gestation.

“I felt very passionate about this story right from the start and nothing could stop me from finishing it,” said Teddy at a press conference recently.

Not even the death of one of his close friends and financiers, the resulting bout of depression that came after that; and even after everyone advised him to give up and let go.

“There comes a time in everyone’s lives when something happens that defines you,” said producer Peter.

The film was backed by the Chinese government and other financiers. Although fictional, the story is a “what might have happened” account of Dr Sun Yat-sen’s visit to Hong Kong in 1905. It revolves around an assassination attempt by China’s imperial forces on the man they perceived as a threat to the foundations of the Manchu dynasty.

The movie showcases the efforts of a band of ordinary citizens and kung fu masters who are roped in to protect the visiting VIP.

The philosophy of doing whatever it takes to achieve something, mirrors what the characters had to go through in the story. They are willing to sacrifice themselves to protect the man who would one day be known as the Father of Modern China.

When asked how this movie could appeal to the non-Chinese, Peter said: “It is not so much a story about Dr Sun as it is the story of the man in the street.

“Each character in the movie is just an ordinary person, but becomes a hero because of what they did.

“So it is the same universally. We may be called to do something for a good cause: heroism is universal."

The 12 big names who agreed to be in the movie were instrumental in making it memorable. It was evident that the cast, which included Donny Yuen, Tony Leung Kar Fai and Wang Xueqi worked as a team.

Yuen portrays “The Gambler,” a character who at the beginning of the movie is the anti-hero. He would do anything for money to feed his gambling habit. Later, he redeems himself by fighting and dying heroically to save the statesman.

Other leading cast members include Leon Lai as “Beggar,” Wang Po-Chieh as “Heir,” Nicholas Tse as “Rickshaw Puller,” Hu Jun as “Assassin,” Eric Tsang as “Police Commissioner,” Simon Yam as “General in Exile,” Fan Bing-bing as “Concubine,” and Zhou Yun as “Fiancee”.

Kudos to Leung and Wang for their powerful performances. Leung plays the intellectual revolutionary who inspires his students with his pen and rhetoric, while Wang is the patriarch, businessman and closet supporter of the revolutionary movement.

The movie has been described as a kung-fu movie with intellect and emotion. And it is.

One of the most touching scenes is when Leung realises that his favourite student, who happens to be Wang’s son, has been picked to be the decoy for Dr Sun, which means certain death.

When Leung tries to conduct a re-balloting, the son pleads with him not to do so, arguing that he should not be treated differently just because he is Wang's only son. “After all,” he declares, passionately, “isn’t this what we are fighting for: democracy and equality?”

Wang is effective as the businessman with a heart of gold and a father who loves his son but who, as a Chinese, does not want to openly show it.

The father-son relationship played out by the two Wangs shows the love and respect they have for each other, even when the son is at an age when rebelling against authority is beginning to set in.

Another thing going for the movie are the fighting scenes which are so spectacular and realistic that you can almost feel the excruciating pain when a body hits the wall or table after having been kicked or thrown about.

Through it all, you will be impressed by the attention to detail — from the costumes to the street lamps to the Chinawear.

However, there are a few niggling details. Leon Lai is one of them. He is somewhat wooden and there’s something wrong with his hair!

The other is in the CGI of the Hong Kong skyline in the early 1900s. The junks and ships are clearly computer-generated while the mansions on the hills of Hong Kong island seem out of proportion.

Other than these two minor complaints, everyone should watch this 10-year labour of love. Many of you may even start googling the story of Dr Sun Yat-sen right after the movie!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another review

Still looking for Asian box office results....
    Bodyguards & Assassins

THIS movie is about a historical event which saw ordinary people rallying together to protect the man who is destined to be the father of modern China. Yet Bodyguards & Assassins is more than a history lesson.

True, the main character is Dr Sun Yat-sen but ultimately, it is the people and their sacrifices that make this a memorable movie. Of course, the excellent action sequences and emotional portrayals of the characters also add to the attraction. And the glimpses of the personal aspects of the characters are the parts that put a lump in your throat, so be forewarned and watch it with a stash of tissue on hand.

The story begins with the news of the imminent arrival of Dr Sun in Hongkong for a secret meeting to establish a united anti-Qing revolutionary front. The revolutionists plan for his safety but the Qing government is determined to stop him and sends hundreds of trained and vicious assassins to do the job.

In the distance of 13 blocks, a small group of dedicated ‘bodyguards’ must place their very lifes on the line for this man who is the hope of millions as massive and relentless attempts are made to make sure he doesn’t leave the British colony alive.

With blood and bodies littering the streets, Bodyguards & Assassins can be a rather violent film but it is also well balanced with human touches that form the souls of the movie.

At the same time, if you are into star-watching, this is the movie for you as the main cast consists of numerous big names not only from Hongkong but also from China and Taiwan, with many more in cameo roles. There is really no one lead actor here and each is given an image that is totally different from what the audience is used to – like Nicholas Tse’s disfigured rickshaw rider look or Leon Lai’s unkempt and bearded beggar image. Even the usually dashing Donnie Yen appears in the form of a disheveled gambler.

Then, there is the authentic looking sets that take you back to those historical times.

All in, Bodyguards & Assassins will appeal to the audience and is an excellent watch. – Sharyn Yap

Cast: Donnie Yen, Tony Leung Kar-fai, Leon Lai, Wang Xue-qi, Nicholas Tse, Hu Jun, Cung Le, Fan Bing-bing, Wang Po-chieh, Li Yu-chun, Simon Yam, Eric Tsang

Director: Teddy Chan
    E-Value: 8
    Acting: 8
    Plot: 8

Updated: 10:07AM Tue, 29 Dec 2009
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i cant wait for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

$35 million

I'm not sure how that rates in the scale of box office draws in Asia.
    Local films draw crowds across Asia
    Patrick Frater
    Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:02am EST

HONG KONG (Hollywood Reporter) - It is not just "Avatar" and "2012" that have set records in Asia over the Christmas period. Homegrown films also shared the box office booty.

In India, "3 Idiots" collected more than $21.3 million in its first four days after playing on a record 1,760 screens. The gross takes it past the opening record set by "Ghajini" in the same release slot last year.

"3 Idiots," based on the novel "Five Point Someone" by Chetan Bhagat, takes a wry look at India's education system as it tracks the misfortunes of a trio of friends in engineering college. It stars Aamir Khan and was directed by Raj Kumar Hirani.

In China, the action thriller "Bodyguards and Assassins" has amassed $30.4 million since its December 18 release. Including sales from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Taiwan, where it opened on Christmas Eve, the regional cumulative total has passed $35 million.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is getting such good reviews...

... I don't want to get spoiled by the hype.
    Watch This: Bodyguards and Assassins
    By Jonathan Chow

This season's much watch holiday movie, Bodyguards and Assassins is a highly anticipated action drama and studded with almost as many stars as Founding of the Republic. But this debut film of Cinema Popular, a collaboration between Hong Kong and Mainland filmmakers, is not your typical kung fu flick.

The plot of Bodyguards and Assassins revolves around Sun Yat Sen’s crucial 1905 visit to Hong Kong, where he met with revolutionaries from all regions of China to share his strategy for overthrowing the Qing Dynasty. The Empress Dowager learns of Sun’s plans and sends out her assassins, led by the eyebrowless giant, Yan Xiaoguo (Hu Jun), to kill him upon arrival. Meanwhile, Chen Shaobai (Liang Jiahui), Sun’s trusted colleague arrives in Hong Kong ahead of time to ensure Sun’s safe passage with businessman Li Yutang (Wang Xueqi). Together, they recruit an unlikely band of bodyguards from all walks of life each with their own skills and motivations for protecting Sun.

But what could have become a full-on fists-bared kung fu extravaganza chose instead to emotionally engage audiences with human drama. Instead of jumping from fight scenes and ending with astereotypical boss battle, ‘Bodyguards’ spends the first half of the movie introducing each character, setting up the complex web of motivations for either killing or protecting Sun, and gradually building up the dramatic tension to a boiling point.

The movie saves its many fight scenes for the second half, which focuses entirely on the tumultuous day of Sun’s arrival when all hell breaks loose. Yet each fight sequence manages to carry a lot of emotional death and you never get the feeling that the story was ever compromised to show off flashy kung fu.

But what was most surprising about the film was its democratic undertones. The opening sequence shows Jackie Cheung cameoing as an intellectual quoting Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and telling his students that they will someday see a democratic China, before getting shot in the head by a Manchu sniper. The entire movie is about martyrs (not all of them with the most heroic aspirations) who end up fighting for and/or dying for democratic ideals against a government trying violently to suppress them.

In the end, this is more than a kung fu flick. It's a historical epic/tragedy with action elements - and it's shocking how historical the filmmakers were allowed to get. Either the ideals of these revolutionaries flew past the heads of the relevant ministries... or alternatively, they've decided the Chinese public's already too ingrained in now's ideals to ever draw the connections we saw.

In any case, it's definitely one of the few Chinese films actually worth watching in theaters right now. Check out show times here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Has anyone watched this yet? Is it really good?
    I am waiting for a copy with english subs that I hope will arrive soon (hope I don't get duped like I did with Chocolate).

uhhh,

Check u tube......it is all there, before it goes.

mickey

I got a chance to watch Bodyguards and Assassins the other day. I didn't walk away afterwards thinking "wow", although it was worth a watch. In my opinion, the film would have been better if it had been broken up into either a second movie, or even three. There were just too many characters and sub-stories to try to develop in only one two-hour flick. I suppose one could argue though that the film was really about the "story" behind the story of Sun Yat Sen's secret meeting in HK and the unknown sacrifices made, therefore deep character development was not necessary. I actually would have preferred, even if they didn't go into much detail of the characters themselves, if they would have had a few more meaningful dialogue scenes between some of them.

Nonetheless, there were times that I thought the acting was pretty compelliing, particularly fron the actor that plays the print shop owner, and although there weren't any fight scenes that will necessarily last for a long time in my memory, they weren't bad either, (less some overly cgi animated blood splatter). Overall it was just a good film with a lot of potential, just not great.

On a side note, I don't know any mandarin at all, but was convinced enough by Cung Le's one spoken line in the film that he sounded authentic to a completely untrained ear. Lastly, if anyone is a big Simon Yam fan, don't get too excited, he plays a very minor part in the film.

A kung fu flick where I needed subtitles!

First I should say that if you're expecting this to be the next awesome kung fu flick, you should get that idea right out of your head. There is some decent kung fu action, but B&A is more about several complex story arcs, a few of which end in fight scenes. There's some decent action for sure, but not enough of it for the ravenous kung fu fan, who will feel that it is drowned by plot. The action is a lot of wire work - to a comic book level - although Donnie again shows his virtuosity by adding his take on parkour to the mix.

The sets and costumes are amazing. It's a gorgeous film. It's also rather melodramatic with a ton of characters with complicated relationships. There's a bit too much weepy violin music and too many patriotic speeches for my taste. In contrast, there's some really nice plot developments - every character has skeletons in the closet and are all haunted by them. Those turns in character development are very rewarding from a storyline point of view. It's got a great cast and they all deliver some fine acting. Donnie turns in his best acting performance to date. First Jet, then Jackie, now Donnie, busting out some real acting. It's odd. I have mixed feelings about that. The Donnie vs. Cung fight is entertaining, the best on screen fight for Cung so far, but overall, it's not mind blowing.

Cung and Xing Wu are in it; both are friends who I've hung out with a bit (although Xing Wu would certainly need his memory jogged to recall our Shaolin Temple days). Both are villains, so I'm not sure what that says about the martial company I keep.

SPOILERS:
    There are some good ninja attacks. The moral of most of those fights is when the villains bust out their hooks-on-chains, run like hell. Also, wtf didn't they just shoot some of the villains earlier? They had the **** pistol. When you have a gun - shoot. Don't waste your time on kung fu. The final action sequence was very Road Warrior to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I agree on the set and costume designs. I remember from one of the early posts depicting how they built the whole town just for the film, and to accurately illustrate the scenery and lifestyles of the time. The street sets were aesthetically remarkable. The DVD I got did not have the actors credits subbed so I don't know many of the actors or characters names, although I had seen some of their faces in other films.

bought the DVD from Taiwan.

I saw it last nite.

Maybe too much for kids.

--

the tall shaolin monk selling stinky toufu--

--

may people and civilains died during the critical hour of meeting--

they are pitted against professional soldiers from Qing

---

donnie yan a longtime gambler did the right thing in the end--

her wifie left him b/c the daughter--

---