Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ong Bak 3

Ong Bak 3

ONG BAK 3 is currently in production, and is slated for a December 2009 opening in Thailand.
    For the whole press release, see our Ong Bak 2 thread.

ONG-BAK-The-Thai-Warrior-(Tony-Ja)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries

Ong Bak 3 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrfBcoVmbc

This one stylistically looks like OB2.

Maybe Tony Jaa should partner up with Cung Le and make a Thai-Viet buddy cop movie er sumfin.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    lol beat me at posting this. was just watching this over on first showing.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

The state that resembles a middle finger.

Ong Bak 3 trailer.

i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Gotta love the mysticism.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ouch

Looks like taking refuge is a good move for Jaa now.
    0 THUMBS UP
    Ong Bak 3 (2011)
    Review By Yentz

Going into the early screening of Ong Bak: 3, I couldn't help but wonder how in the world Jaa and crew were going to outdo their previous entry which nary contained a scene without bone-snapping brutality. Hell, even its finale was a literal twenty minute bout between Jaa and a multitude of attackers. Where Ong Bak: 1 was an introduction to the powerhouse that was/is Tony Jaa, the second installment was the stylish pinnacle which took every aspect of his martial arts to new flair-filled heights. So it's understandable that expectations would (and should) be high for this concluding segment of the Ong Bak mythos. Sadly, this third and final addition to the series falls flat on its white-belt ass by avoiding what audiences are clamoring to see and instead, focuses (and fails) on what no one truly cared for in the first place.

The story (if you can call it that), is a continuation of the events of Ong Bak: 2. After the ridiculous ending of the second film, things pick up in the third as Tien (Jaa) is repeatedly beaten to a pulp by the evil emperor and his men. Practically dead, he's revived only to come back from the ethereal plain an emotionally and physically ruined individual. Frustrated and in pain, Tien must fight his own personal demons so that he may fight once more--for his people; for his lady-love. That's the simple explanation. If I were to go into more detail about the oh-so broken narrative I'd probably give myself an aneurism. On the storytelling front, this movie is a piece of garbage. Fifteen minutes in, it becomes such a convoluted tale of self-redemption, magic, seizure-inducing flashes, dreams, dancing, lightning bolts, crows, and elephants that there is practically no way to actually discern what the hell is going on. Herein lies the flick's biggest pitfall. In an attempt at sloppy narrative, Jaa (who again directed) compromises the best thing this series had going for it: the action. For the most part, this feels like a self-fulfilling flick--I'm talking M. Night Shyamalan fulfillment, people. Jaa would rather observe the inner trials and tribulations of Bak's central character than watch him kick ass. These segments are so over-dramatized that it appears as though Jaa was going for an Oscar for his performance, rather than a serious workout tossin' baddies left and right. Seriously, this film contains so many training montages that the entertainment factor is nearly killed halfway through. Instead of an onslaught of jump-kicks and knee slams we get dancing. Instead of a constant stream of palm-hits and punches, we get cheesy black smog that goes in and out of people's noses. Instead of truly unique and creative sequences of awesome, we get elephants which pull massive statues--through the air!!! Like a f*cking baseball!!! And don't even get me started on the cop out "rewind" scene, or Jaa's ability to toss lightning bolts from the sky and give sleep-inducing headaches to evil-doers. I'd greatly appreciate a thorough explanation if anyone's got one. Anybody? No?

And as for them action bits...

Well, when they do crop up, they somewhat entertain. The immediacy of the violence during the film's introduction is just groovy, but once over, is paced very poorly. Long stretches of nothing-in-particular cloud the film and cause viewer's eyes to be weighed down rather than drying out from how wide with surprise they should be. Some moments allowed a smile to crest my face while others elicited a brief man-giggle of excitement. But these were few and far between. When my favorite part was a five-second utilization of a bamboo shoot as a weapon--you know there's a problem. And I just have to say that the film's climax (aside from an issue already hinted at above), is just pathetic when considering what was again accomplished with the finale of Ong Bak: 2.

Apparently the filmmakers really wanted this denouement to crash and burn because the movie also falters horribly in the technical department. Poorly rendered effects are littered throughout, editing is disjointed, improper long-shots are chosen to depict scenes, blurred images, out of focus shots, and one of the most unintentionally hilarious repeated zooms
    in cinematic history make this film hard to appreciate even by die-hard, patronizing fans.

Taking into consideration that this was a market premiere, there is still time before a wide release for this film's issues to be smoothed out--mainly in that of the technical department. As for the version I witnessed, however, it was a complete and utter mess , whose audience couldn't stop laughing after the first thirty minutes. Here's holding out for a possible "Ong Bak 4: The Apology".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

January 2011 U.S. release

I think Ip Man 2 is scheduled for a U.S. release around the same time.
    September 09, 2010
    'Ong Bak 3' gets a U.S. release
    Tony Jaa’s Asian-action film “Ong Bak 3” has found a U.S. distributor via Magnet Releasing, the genre of Magnolia Pictures. The company is eyeing a release in January 2011.

“Bak 3” is the final installment of the popular martial-arts series that introduced Thai-based Jaa to an international audience. Magnolia released the first one in 2005. Magnet took it over and released the second movie in 2009.

“Bak 3” picks up from “Bak 2’s” cliffhanger ending and amps up the supernatural elements of the previous film. The hero faces off a supernatural warrior named "Demon Crow," played by Jaa’s fellow martial arts colleague Dan Chupong (aka Dynamite Warrior).

Magnet distributed the Swedish horror hit “Let the Right One In” as well as Neil Marshall’s “Centurion” and John Woo’s “Red Cliff.” The company is behind the upcoming October release of British sci-fi flick “Monsters.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I thought Jaa became an ordained monk? Is he back to acting now? (it is common in Thailand for ppl to become monks at various times to think things through then go back to living normal lives)
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

it happened after ong bak 3

New on our ezine

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

on ATT uverse you can view Ong Bak 3 now for $10
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I really liked Ong Bak 3. My favorite scene I think is in the beginning with the chains.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ONG BAK 3 on DVD

Enter to win ONG BAK 3 on DVD! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 02/18/2011. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

See our Ong Bak 3 winners thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips