Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I find real kung fu practitioners on youtube?

Where can I find real kung fu practitioners on youtube?

Dear all,
    I have been looking for kung fu practitioners who could actually use their kung fu when sparring with other people on youtube. I have found a video clip where a capoeira guy fighting a kick boxer. The capoeira guy lost the fight, but I can see capoeira techniques being used in the fight.

However, I have found plenty of kung fu practitioners that fight like kick boxers & boxers, but not many that could actual use their kung fu in sparring matches.

Is it possible for for any one to show me where I can find video clips showing kung fu practitioners actually using their kung fu techniques in sparring matches?

Thank you very much

i think the best video on thereis found when you search for "rea chinese martial arts"i'l post it later on today

there are some videos

but the standard and validity of alot of cma (not all!) is pretty cr@p andhas been for the last hundred years, so this is reflected in the amountof videos you see

anothergood search would be for san shoumatches not all the techniques are usedbut alot of the principles are.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    wtf is real kung fu supposed to look like? watching too many old Shaw Bros. films?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"Real Kung Fu"?

This is not a new topic. It's been discussed previously on other forums through the years. However, I understand what you're getting at.

A lot of kung fu styles share similar basic punches & kicks so, using them in sparring, they might slightly resemble "kickboxers" but not exactly. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're not using their kung fu techniques; just some of them, and not the ones YOU specifically want to see.

For sport (i.e. sparring matches), there have to be rules to protect the fighters (e.g. no eye gouging; no fish hooking; no strikes to the groin; no strikes to the back of the neck; etc.). That applies not only to competitive kung fu, but to most other competitive martial arts as well (e.g. MMA, MT, TKD, Karate, Boxing, Wrestling, Hockey ).

It seems that you're probably referring to the more exotic-looking, open-handed techniques & acrobatics, somewhat similar to what Oso implied with reference to Shaw Bros-style cinematic kung fu fighting.

Thing is, if fighters start using such techniques (e.g. fu jow, biu jee) to the eyes, throats, groin and other sensitive areas, you'll end up with more blind/deaf/castrated/otherwise maimed participants who won't be able to fight for very long & will have a hard time paying their bills and providing for their families, blah blah blah. Yeah, practice those open-hand techniques, but you're probably best to save the actual applications for street / self-defence situations, not for friendly sport.

You don't need to see someone finger jab someone in the eye or crush someone's larynx in a sparring match in order for you to say that you've finally witnessed someone using their kung fu, and that kung fu actually works, do you?

If so, you should just go to the local mo kwoon and pick a real fight (not a sparring match) with someone there to possibly witness real kung fu first-hand without bothering with those impersonal YouTube clips! lol j/k No, on second thought, don't do that!

G'night...
    Last edited by Tid Sin; 02-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.

night night
    where's my beer?

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    WTF was that? yeah, really good "defense" against biin / kahp there (although if someone threw kahp with that sort of footwork, maybe it could "work" like that)...total azshattery; where'd you find that silliness?
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 02-11-2009 at 09:46 PM.

WTF was that? yeah, really good "defense" against biin / kahp there...total azshattery; where'd you find that silliness?
    I shit you not, "hardwork" posted it!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I shit you not, "hardwork" posted it!
    oh, I see now; "WC essence", eh? gotcha...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I have been looking for kung fu practitioners who could actually use their kung fu when sparring with other people on youtube.
    You can see:

- round kick,
    - side kick, and
    - outer hook

in this short clip.

http://johnswang.com/Sanshou_6.wmv
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-11-2009 at 09:57 PM.

really good "defense" against biin / kahp there
    yup, for that alone it was PRICELESS

yup, for that alone it was PRICELESS
    well, again, if you are going to throw the combo that way, you deserve to get hit like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5ktPJZlD0

One of Phil's last black sash spars. He also has a few of his forms posted on youtube

man i hope someone uses that round kick defense against me.... i'll come out looking like apidej or yodsenklai when his forearm snaps.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    funny, i think that was the WC school my brother was looking to join a while back...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"