Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where can I find real kung fu practitioners on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Dear all,
    Before this thread becoming another Hardwork vs other people, let us get back to the real issue - real kung fu.
    wtf is real kung fu supposed to look like?
    it's a very good question; although I would say the real question is what is real fighting supposed to look like?

but for the moment, let me address your analogy:
    Imagine that you have spent several years learning German (TCM) and hoping that one day you may go to Germany (martial arts tournment). When you eventually arrive in Germany (tournament), you are expected to use what you have learnt in your class to communicate (fight) with the local German population (competitors). Would you abondon everything you have learnt in your German (TCM) classes and trying to communicate (fight) with other people with your self style sign language (untrained kick boxing/ boxing technques)? etc.
    (TCM).
    respectfully, I find your analogy is a bit biased in the sense that it doesn't start from a reasonable premise:
    if you learn German in a class taught by an actual German native speaker who is off the plane from Berlin and who was trained in how to teach functional German to English speakers, than you will have no problem applying what you learn if you go visit there yourself in 6 months to a year, including contemporary idioms that the local population is using;
    OTOH, if the person teaching you German has never even been there, was never trained to teach, and "speaks" German because he has spent his entire academic career translating Goethe, you're going to get off the plane in Berlin and maybe have some idea what's going on reading sign posts, but as soon as you start trying to talk to the locals, you are going to be in trouble, and start fumbling for your Berlitz guide;
    first case: functional, realistic approach to MA training (which can include TCMA, if it's relieved of certain aspects); second case: McDojo's, McKwoon's, and sadly a lot of "real/authentic" TCMA as well;
    Verstehen? basically, if what you learn is appropriate to your needs, you won't need to switch to something else; if you want to fight, you might want to learn from someone with a little bit of actual experience, regardless of how "deep" the intrinsic nature of their given style is - you don't need to be a classical German scholar to get around Berlin; OTOH, if you want to get into the richness and depth of a classical style, you might be able to do that without ever having been in a street fight or even competed in a tournament; it's really a question of what one wants to do - of course, one might actually find a teacher with both practical fighting experience as well as classical knowledge of a traditional system - they don't preclude each other, but the specific skill sets may vary greatly - meaning that even having studied a "real" system, including forms, so-called "internals", health practices, meditation, calligraphy, etc. etc., you might surprisingly discover that when one "uses" what one learned in actual fighting, it's not going to look all that different in application than what you might see someone who trained boxing use...

TCM practitioners who have spent 4 -20 years training should be able to show some kung fu skills, instead of fighting like amatuer boxers and kick boxers.
    FYI, TCM is the abbreviation for Traditional Chinese Medicine - I believe that you mean TCMA (although it's pretty funny when you read it the first way); anyway, your range of 4 - 20 years is huge! quite frankly, if one has trained well and realistically, assuming one has some basic strength, coordination, etc., one should be able to "use" what has been learned to a reasonable degree after ~6 mos. (for someone who is already physically fit, coordinated, aggressive, etc.) to a year (someone who has to develop basic attributes and account for being less innately coordinated and / or has been socialized to be passive, etc.); to take 4 to 20 years to be able to "use" something is not only too large a range, it's too long - I mean, wasn't the whole point of WC initially to teach someone to be able to fight effectively in a very short period of time? regardless of what one believes will be the long-term end results of 30 years training in a "traditional" style, that should not preclude actual fighting skill from occurring as soon as possible, meaning by a most about one year;

This is not an insult. l too had fought like a human punching bag, boxer and kick boxer before I learnt any martial arts. After learning several different martial arts and spent several thousand hours training I still fought like a human punching bag, boxer and kick boxer. Does this not tell you that there is something seriously wrong with my martial arts training?
    if you spent thousands of hours fighting like a "human punching bag", implying that you just got hit all the time, sure, something is very wrong; OTOH, if you spent thousands of hours and skillfully and successfully fought "like" a boxer / kickboxer (be it in the ring or the street), then I wouldn't say that you wasted any time, regardless of what you were learning;

I can only call myself a wing chun expert after demonstrating to myself that I can apply my wing chun technique in fights. At the moment I am still a beginner in wing chun.
    admirable, but I would suggest that being able to "use" what you learned in a street fight, IMPE, shouldn't be a criteria for "expertise", that rather it is a sign of "proficiency", meaning that you can apply what you hav learnd as a means to a desired end; "expertise" implies full understanding of a topic on a deep level, where one has the ability not only to use it, but also to teach it in its entirety, as well as to modify it and progress it according to one's own experience;

Judo practitioners fight like how they were trained in judo tournaments.
    Wrestlers fight like how they were trained in tournaments.
    Boxers fight like how they were trained in tournaments.
    Kick boxers fight like how they were trained in tournaments.
    Thai boxers fight like how they were trained tournaments.
    If those non TCM practitioners can apply what they have learnt in their classes in tournaments, then you would expect the TCM practitioners to do the same.
    you would, but if you train something totally contrary to instinctual, natural human combat, and have never trained in a live, pressured situation, when you get into a "real" fight, you are going to see lot if not most all of that "training" go out the window real quick; all of the above start from almost day one training in context of how they would actually be using what they learned, and this response is what's going to "kick in" when they are under pressure, and because a large percentage of what they use in competition also has relevance to "thee street", the cross-over isn't so hard: they have trained both context and content in a way that will give them a good chance in a real fight; if they modify their training for "the street" specifically (cross training), they will do even better (e.g. - judo guy learning MT)

There are people who fight like the actors in Shaw Brother's films, but they are very small in number, e.g. the late sifu Wong Sheun Leung & sifu Yip Man.
    my first TCMA sifu (Chan Tai San) never looked like a Shaw brothers movie when he was teaching fighting, and he was somewhat well regarded within the TCMA community...

If you are a real kung fu master then you do not need to hurt your weaker opponent in order to defeat him, e.g.
    more a contrivance based on Chinese cultural notions of what a "master" is supposed to be capable of; c.f. Confuscian "superior man" and all that; look, fact is that if there is a significant difference in skill, this can certainly happen; the closer two people are in skill (assuming that all other attributes are equal), the more difficult this is; see, it's very solipsistic: what is a hallmark of a TCMA master? he can defeat his opponents without hurting them; why can he defeat his opponents without hurting them? because he is a master; no analysis of approach, circumstances, cultural baggage, etc.

Grandsmaster Yip Man defeated Sifu Wong Sheun Leung using wing chun techniques without hurting him.
    so you have heard; all stories of this nature should be taken with a large grain of salt; although, if you have two people doing the same system under the same cultural constraints, then it is certainly more plausible that this could occur, given that if you know what someone else knows and are better at it, it is much easier to anticipate them and shut them down (indeed, the "looser" would be conditioned to "know" when he was beat as well, so you need to consider that); OTOH, if a western boxer came along, while the TCMA guy might still win, the ability to do so without hurting him would be much less, if not non-existent

my belief is that successful fighting looks pretty much the same across the board, with, of course, some variation; it's about being fit / conditioned to start, then training high-percentage content in a context-appropriate manner; all the other stuff is largely irrelevant - there are no shortcuts, no "secret" techniques per se, and skill can be acquired in a reasonably short period of time; of course, refinement of skill can continue for decades, and there are certain skill-sets that will take longer (e.g. - listening, sticking, etc.), although not decades if you are training correctly;

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    TaaiGihkYan:
    "there are no shortcuts, no "secret" techniques per se, and skill can be acquired in a reasonably short period of time; of course, refinement of skill can continue for decades, and there are certain skill-sets that will take longer (e.g. - listening, sticking, etc.), although not decades if you are training correctly;"

well said.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Hitman: my questions were rhetorical, btw.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"Taai Gihk Yan:

respectfully, I find your analogy is a bit biased in the sense that it doesn't start from a reasonable premise:
    if you learn German in a class taught by an actual German native speaker who is off the plane from Berlin and who was trained in how to teach functional German to English speakers, than you will have no problem applying what you learn if you go visit there yourself in 6 months to a year, including contemporary idioms that the local population is using;
    OTOH, if the person teaching you German has never even been there, was never trained to teach, and "speaks" German because he has spent his entire academic career translating Goethe, you're going to get off the plane in Berlin and maybe have some idea what's going on reading sign posts, but as soon as you start trying to talk to the locals, you are going to be in trouble, and start fumbling for your Berlitz guide;
    first case: functional, realistic approach to MA training (which can include TCMA, if it's relieved of certain aspects); second case: McDojo's, McKwoon's, and sadly a lot of "real/authentic" TCMA as well;"

I used the German language as an example. Since I do not know how the German education system worked both inside and outside Germany, I will use the English education system in UK to answer your question. Am I correct to assume that you have never heard the following stories about some of the native English speaking students in UK?

1. They failed to pass their English examines.
    2. Students leaving schools without obtained any qualifications. I used to know two women who left schools at the age of 16, without taking their examines.
    3. Students failed to pass any of their examines. I used to know one person who had failed all his examines in school.
    4. Some of the native English speaking students leaving schools at the age of 16, who could barely read and write. They were taught by qualified native English speaking teachers and surrounded by English speaking people everyday. They were considered by people to be illiterate and could only found low paid jobs. I used to know two native English speaking people in a good English secondary school, who you could almost considered to be illiterate.
    5. I used to know 4 people from Hong Kong & Pakistan who had attended good secondary schools in UK for 3 – 5 years, but could not speak, write and read English properly. They were taught by qualified native English speaking teachers. They can also be regarded as illiterate.

This was before the government changed the education system to make the students’ examination results look better. Those high grades may look good on paper, but the actual quality of the students remained unchanged.
    No state run schools in UK would hire any totally professional incomplete teachers to teach people English. You would at least expect those qualified teachers to be able to speak, read, write and teach English to their students. Otherwise, they would be sacked.

6. There was a court case in America years ago about a son suing his own father, because he could not read and write English. He blamed his father for destroying his ability to read and write English.

"FYI, TCM is the abbreviation for Traditional Chinese Medicine - I believe that you mean TCMA (although it's pretty funny when you read it the first way); anyway, your range of 4 - 20 years is huge! quite frankly, if one has trained well and realistically, assuming one has some basic strength, coordination, etc., one should be able to "use" what has been learned to a reasonable degree after ~6 mos. (for someone who is already physically fit, coordinated, aggressive, etc.) to a year (someone who has to develop basic attributes and account for being less innately coordinated and / or has been socialized to be passive, etc.); to take 4 to 20 years to be able to "use" something is not only too large a range, it's too long - I mean, wasn't the whole point of WC initially to teach someone to be able to fight effectively in a very short period of time? regardless of what one believes will be the long-term end results of 30 years training in a "traditional" style, that should not preclude actual fighting skill from occurring as soon as possible, meaning by a most about one year;"

You may not have met any Kung fu instructors and students who cannot fight, despite the fact they have spent 4 -20 years training, but I have met them. Yes, if you have trained properly, then you should be able to fight within one year.

According to Sifu Duncan Leung, he spent 5-7 hours a day training and fighting other people. It took him 4 & ˝ years (at least 8190 hours) to learn the whole wing chun system and be able to use it in fights.
    He told us in one of the threads on his own web site that if an average student who only attend 3 * 2 hours of classes per week and did not trained at home. It would take him/ her a life time to master wing chun. He means achieving the same standard as him. I worked out that it would take an average person at least 26.25 years (8190 hours) to reach the same standard as him. However, you can learnt all the wing chun forms from books and DVD in less than 2 months, but whether you can fight with them is a different issue.

Sifu Wong Sheun Leung fought Sifu Yip Man after defeating two of Sifu Yip Man’s junior students on the first day they met. He did not know anything about wing chun at the time.

"he can defeat his opponents without hurting them; why can he defeat his opponents without hurting them? because he is a master; no analysis of approach, circumstances, cultural baggage, etc."

Real master - fact or fiction
    Miyamoto Musashi, author of the book “The book of the Five Rings” is regarded as a sword saint in Japan. According to a martial arts book I read, nearly all the Japanese swordsmen who saw his self style portrait (holding two swords in his hands) admitted that they did not know how to attack him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Please ask the Japanese martial arts masters for their opinions about Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    lol its only real cos teh chinese guy was doing well....i didnt see any bow stances or chi sau or anything that looks "traditional or authentic" by your standards anyway

beautiful footage and definitley real chinese martial arts but definitley not authentic or real as far as you should be concerned

you just like it cos the chinese guy was against a kyokushin guy and the guys fighting a bit unorthodox, nothing to say thats kung fu that could just be him
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.