Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: how is bullshido?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Thanks for the link. The first recorded Pankration competition was in 648 B. C, a good 400 years before Shuijao according to that page.
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Would love to read it. Send me a promo copy and I'll post up a review on Bullshido (with a link back to your Amazon page).
    LOL! Or how about you just go ahead and order a copy? It's not like Brian gets copies for free to hand out as he wishes. He has to pay for 'em too...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

If you thought that wrestling and the discipline of the martial arts were Greco-Roman and Asian innovations, think again. Right on the walls of the Temple of Medinet Habu are carved reliefs of Nubian wrestlers and men engaged in "karate" and stick fighting demonstrations. Further on the same wall are reliefs of "ballet" dancers and trained show horses stepping in unison. It seems that the ancient Egyptians participated in and established many of the arts that are thought of in modern times as "not out of Africa."

Eygptian Martial Arts From: New Kingdom: 20th Dynasty; 1184-1153 BCE
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 03-05-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    LOL! Or how about you just go ahead and order a copy? It's not like Brian gets copies for free to hand out as he wishes. He has to pay for 'em too...
    Really? I'd figure he'd have a stack of them in his basement since publishers often send the author extra copies.

I am also a cheap ******* and since I have another MA book a publisher sent me to review that I haven't gotten to, having an extra on deck might make me get around to doing it.
    No BS Martial Arts

judging by the profile picture and the information provided by the owner - i'd say it's a bit ret@rded over there.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    judging by the profile picture and the information provided by the owner - i'd say it's a bit ret@rded over there.
    No, it is a sausage festival. Today is Bratwurst day.
    No BS Martial Arts

either way... pork is bad for your circulatory system... catch my drift?

when is Veres Hurka (Hungarian bloodsausage) day?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    hungaria has good wine... bulls blood, one of my favorites... i've been to budapest a couple of times... crazy city... hungaria is the only place where you can see gypsy hookers on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and pick them up for like 3 bucks(not that i ever did)... my brother paid 80 bucks for an hour with a prostitute in budapest...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    February 31st.
    No BS Martial Arts

February 31st.
    i suppose you think you are a slick little dude...

i suppose you think you are a slick little dude...
    Only when I'm all sweaty.
    No BS Martial Arts

Only when I'm all sweaty.
    even then i bet you are easy to grasp.

even then i bet you are easy to grasp.
    Naa, my sweet rashguard (by Rupture) helps me slip out of any situation be it a triangle choke or a congressional ethics inquiry.
    No BS Martial Arts

Thanks for the link. The first recorded Pankration competition was in 648 B. C, a good 400 years before Shuijao according to that page.
    I've seen this cylinder seal image around the internet quite a lot. UNTIL IT IS PROPERLY SOURCED, it is just a maybe.

http://www.historywiz.com/images/nea...esh-enkidu.jpg

But it appears to be an Akkadian (or Sumerian) depiction of a mythical struggle in which one of the two heros suplexes a creature. I'm vaguely guessing it dates from between ~2500 BC (when military kingship became prevalent in mesopotamia) to ~2000 BC short chronology (when the last "Sumerian" dynasty was destroyed by Elamite invasion).

The Sumerians and Akkadians also had words for wrestling and grappling. There is a Sumerian proverb which reads "...those who are stronger than you; let them get up and wrestle."

The Sumerian "Death of Gilgamesh", which would eventually become adapted as the ending to the babylonian version of the epic of gilgamesh, reads:

"Sisig (a god of dreams) , the son of Utu, will provide light for him in the nether world, the place of darkness. When a funerary statue is made in honour of someone, whoever they may be, for future days, mighty youths and …… will form (?) a semicircle at the door-jambs and perform wrestling and feats of strength before them (?)."

In a Sumerian praise hymn to the ruler Shulgi (~2000 BCE) a skillset is mentioned:

"Let praise be sung, that I have shown strength in grappling and wrestling."

Here's a quote from the text "The Marriage of Martu" which was probably written sometime early in the 2nd millenium BC during the Old Babylonian Period:

"In the city, bronze šem drums were rumbling, and the seven ala drums resounded as strong men, girdled champions, entered the wrestling house to compete with each other for Numušda in the temple of Inab."

Here's another quote from the Old Babylonian Period, from a text recounting the seige of the city of Akkad:

"Because his subjects were dispersed, he now began a mobilization of his troops. Like a wrestler who is about to enter the great courtyard, he ...... his hands towards (?) the E-kur. Like an athlete bent to start a contest, he treated the giguna as if it were worth only thirty shekels. "

Just some interesting info about early wrestling.