Thread: Self-learning Northern Star Qigong, troubles with a certain movement

Self-learning Northern Star Qigong, troubles with a certain movement

Hello,

I am trying to teach myself Northern Star Qigong. I am learning from a book called "Scholar Warrior, An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life" by Deng Ming-Dao.

I'm having trouble with figuring out movement 8 which is titled "Turning Heaven and Earth". The pictures do not seem to match the description.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular set and could help me out.

The instructions for the moment are as follows:

1. Stand in horse stance, with your palms waist level.
    2. Step to one side and stretch the opposite leg. Bring your palm out, arm extended, fingers pointing down.
    3. make a big circle all the way over your head. Keep your arm straight while rotating your shoulder. Keep circling until your hand is at face level. Throughout this segment, let all joints in your body move naturally. Inhale from the beginning of the circle to the end.
    4. Bring your other hand up.
    5. Extend both arms, looking at your rear hand and exhale throughout. Both palms face downward.
    6. Return to your beginning posture and repeat on the other side.
    Once on each side forms one round. Do Six rounds.
    7. Harmonize.

The picture for this movement can be seen here:
    http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9145/qigonga.jpg

Thanks to anyone that can help.

I'm pretty sure I've figured this out now. It's always a bit harder when you don't have someone to point out your mistakes.

be careful with learning Qi Gong from a book.

Always be safe and cool down and make sure to bring any energy down to your dan tien physically as well as internally/mentally.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

Always be safe and cool down and make sure to bring any energy down to your dan tien physically as well as internally/mentally.
    oh, c'mon Dale - where's the fun if not going through one's day with raging kundalini blowing out the top of your central channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Fett2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've figured this out now. It's always a bit harder when you don't have someone to point out your mistakes.
    as my sifu likes to say, book's don't talk back...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

The book explains a harmonizing movement that you do in between all the other movements that does exactly that.

I wish I had someone to teach me this set, but unfortunately I know of no one in my area that teaches Qigong, let alone the set I am trying to learn.

I've noticed some of the movements past movement 8 that have the same issue, the pictures don't quite match the instructions, but I'm slowly figuring them out. I'm enjoying Qi Gong a lot. I also take traditional Tae Kwon Do from a very good school in my area. You can't get much more external than Tae Kwon Do, so I'm trying to balance things out with something internal. So far, it seems to be working out pretty well.
    Last edited by Fett2; 05-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    oh, c'mon Dale - where's the fun if not going through one's day with raging kundalini blowing out the top of your central channel?
    Yeah, being the big hearted kilt wearing fool that I am, just worry that people will melt their cortex doing something silly.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    rofl

Kung Fu is good for you.