Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chi Kung Question

Chinese Doctor Reference Request

I've got a buddy who claims to have "pian cha" 徧差 from practicing chi kung as described at: http://www.alternativehealing.org/risks_of_qigong.htm. Anyway, he was recommended to visit Chinese Physician Jo Sifu at 2001 South Barrington Ave in West Los Angeles, but I told him it was all bunk. Does anyone know if the "pian cha" 徧差 is real, and if the Jo Sifu is qualified to treat it? Is he just gonna charge Rick a thousand dollars, and Rick's gonna still be sick after he gets treated? How can someone check the qualifications of such a doctor, and find out how many people with this problem he's treated successfully?
    Last edited by Faruq; 02-11-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Wanted to correct title to "Chinese Doctor Reference Request"
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    check with a good acupuncturist. I believe I have heard of the internal dragons points being used for this-not sure. But..if you e-mail Sifu David Rogers at Rising Crane, he might be able to give you some info. I believe he has had some experience with this.
    Also, PM Chusauli-Sifu. he is an acupuncterist and TCM doc.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 02-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I've got a buddy who claims to have "pian cha" 徧差 from practicing chi kung as described at: http://www.alternativehealing.org/risks_of_qigong.htm. Anyway, he was recommended to visit Chinese Physician Jo Sifu at 2001 South Barrington Ave in West Los Angeles, but I told him it was all bunk. Does anyone know if the "pian cha" 徧差 is real, and if the Jo Sifu is qualified to treat it? Is he just gonna charge Rick a thousand dollars, and Rick's gonna still be sick after he gets treated? How can someone check the qualifications of such a doctor, and find out how many people with this problem he's treated successfully?
    I don't know about the doc in question or treatment; what I will suggest is that anytime one engages in activities that involves things that can impact the way the autonomic nervous system functions, you can certainly have all kinds of funky responses - but it's not common and you have to look at predisposition - some people are more "on edge" then others, some are even looking for an excuse to "loose it"...; also, the problem is that you can't generalize about "qigong" because there is no standardization of what is taught and the way each person learns / practices it is highly individualistic / subjective; so while you might indeed see someone "flip out" after some type of qigong practice, you might have also seen them have the same response after yoga pranayama work or crystal healing work or any kind of intense bodywork (cranial, Rolfing, etc.); also, if your "buddy" was sitting in front of me, you can bet your bippy that the medical history I would get from him would be extremely detailed and specific - I am always skeptical when someone "all of a sudden" has some sort of disproportionate psychosomatic response to qigong - you want to get a thorough sense of their past history across the board, it usually tells you a lot...

Rick doesn't seem crazy or anything, and isn't complaining of any of the psychoses. Just always sick now. He was meditating 2 hours a day for like 3 years (an hour in the morning, and one at night), and got sick when he started a new meditation that was previous in the progession of that chi kung system. He also thinks it could have to do with continuing to meditate after getting a flu shot, and he says the nurse that gave it to him hit the bone and bent the needle, so had to give him a second dose. He basically complains of nausea, constant fever sensation and his stomach's constantly girgling. He's had x-rays of his stomach, upper endoscopies, lower one's and everything comes out normal. For the fever and flu symptoms his doctor gave him 5 different antibiotics over a 6 or 7 week period and he says nothing helped.

But anyway, enough about his symptoms. How do we get him cured? What's Chusauli-Sifu's e-mail, or is he a member of this forum?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

It may be worth the trip to Buffalo, NY, where my qigong teacher Yen Chu feng lives.
    She is very highly ranked and world reknown in medical Qigong and has has very successful results form this disease, her treaments are $65.00 per treament depending or course on how many teaments are needed but a thousand dollars seems very very high. contact me PM for further details
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Rick doesn't seem crazy or anything, and isn't complaining of any of the psychoses. Just always sick now. He was meditating 2 hours a day for like 3 years (an hour in the morning, and one at night),
    that's not a lot, really

and got sick when he started a new meditation that was previous in the progession of that chi kung system.
    was the meditation significantly difference in terms of imagery/visualization? breathing? length of time? he might be having a "detox" reaction, it depends...

He also thinks it could have to do with continuing to meditate after getting a flu shot, and he says the nurse that gave it to him hit the bone and bent the needle, so had to give him a second dose. He basically complains of nausea, constant fever sensation and his stomach's constantly girgling. He's had x-rays of his stomach, upper endoscopies, lower one's and everything comes out normal.
    how long ago did he get the shot? it may certainly be a result of that

For the fever and flu symptoms his doctor gave him 5 different antibiotics over a 6 or 7 week period and he says nothing helped.
    but if there was no bacterial infection to begin with, why would they expect abx to help (flu is a virus, last time I checked...)?

But anyway, enough about his symptoms. How do we get him cured? What's Chusauli-Sifu's e-mail, or is he a member of this forum?
    again, I am not so sure it has to do with qigong practice

If your friend is seriously ill tell him to go to a doctor and get properly diagnosed.

If lifestyle factors are in play they are more likely to be:

diet
    pollution
    sex
    environmental hazards in the home or workplace
    contact with vectors for the spread of infection not mentioned above

than it is to be his meditation regimen.

Spending time and money because some quack told him that his Qigong was magically making him sick simply further endangers his health.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    If your friend is seriously ill tell him to go to a doctor and get properly diagnosed.

If lifestyle factors are in play they are more likely to be:

diet
    pollution
    sex
    environmental hazards in the home or workplace
    contact with vectors for the spread of infection not mentioned above

than it is to be his meditation regimen.

Spending time and money because some quack told him that his Qigong was magically making him sick simply further endangers his health.
    QFT

however, once a person gets all wrapped up in their transpersonal experience, they are pretty lost until they find their own way out.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Medical Qigong Master Practitioner Referral Request

Yeah, you guys are right that it could be something else totally. But if Rick thinks it's due to a qigong mishap, and wants to see a Chinese doctor, who am I to talk him out of it? lol

No, but he has seen various doctors (he had to to get the above mentioned tests like the endoscopies, cat-scans and x-rays; and to get the antibiotics prescribed); but none of them can find out why he's sick or cure him.

He's tried Western medicine, and now wants to try Chinese medicine, particularly via a doctor who also has a record of curing people who suffer from the "pian cha" 走火入魔 deviation thing he thinks he might have. I told him I'd ask around on the forum for recommendations to doctors who had records of curing it, and to get references for the Master Jo guy in West Los Angeles.

Hey, I want to thank everyone who did for chiming in. I know I initially put this on the general forum, but that was since the Nei Jia gets so few views, and I was trying to get the most views possible in hopes that if more people read this there was more of a chance someone would know if the Master Jo guy was good or not, or could recommend someone with a proven record of curing the pian cha. It doesn't look like anyone's going to be able to answer the Wai Lun Choi question I put up there either.

Anyway, it looks like the Master Jo guy's the way for Rick to go since no one recommended anyone else. EarthDragon did of course and I PM'd him yesterday like he said, but I haven't heard anything back, so Master Jo's really the only other option. Thanks to everyone, EarthDragon included.

QUESTIONS:
    "bian cha" is real but was your friend diagnosed by an OMD?
    Other than not being diagnosed by and OMD, how does this person know that is the condition?
    What are the symptoms of his condition?

DEFINITION:
    Bian cha is a symptom that presents itself during qigong practice that never happened before. It is usually of mild or moderate severity. If severe, it is known as 'devil running fire' usually psychiatric or psychological in origin and undiagnosed in the individual. It does have a cardiovascular component but as such an OMD with qigong experience is a better judge as to its severity.

Cool, Mawali. But can you recommend an OMD in the U.S. who could diagnose him, and cure him if Pian Cha's what he has?

One of my last teachers is in Beijing so the next best thing is to contact an OMD in your area. Check out this link for further background and information.

http://www.jcm.co.uk/catalogue.php?c...=0-195-206-373

Also, contact the local acupuncture school nearest to you, if possible.

Rick's checked in Chinatown and at the acupuncture clinic's here, but there are not. And the acupuncture did nothing. And by the way, I agree with your first post. In fact, the purpose of starting this whole thread was to ask for recommendations to reputable OMDs who are also chi kung healers or at least chi kung masters for him here in Chicago, and if not, at least here in the U.S.
    Last edited by Faruq; 02-14-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correction

Faruq,

My last teacher name is Yiu Wha Wu (Shi Cun Wu) of Kang Tai School/Press on Clark Street (North side) but he is not in Chicago at the present time. At least for the past few years. He usually returns for the summer! Try Midwest Center or Pacific College and ask for an OMD recommendation.

http://kangtaipress.com/