Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chi Kung Question

More often than not, disease or affliction that is attributed to meditation practice, breathwork or other related practices is psychological in origin and the solution is in treatment for a mental issue as opposed to an actual physiological disease brought on by these practices.

So, if your friend believe he is ill because of his practice, why would he continue with something that makes him ill?

food for thought?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He hasn't meditated for like 2 years. It's just that his symptoms still haven't gone away. And yes Western medicine does view pian cha as a psychological thing, but still can't readily cure it unfortunately.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

I'd suggest he try ceremonial medicine. Native American, Tibetan, Aboriginal, African, Caribbean, etc... whatever available ones he feels drawn to.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

In my humble opinion,

Seriously,

Pian cha is refer to due to intentionally "chasing Qi sensation result" and unknownly or purposely mis direct the Qi flow and the Qi flow cannot return to the proper path.

zhou huo ru mo is refer to "chasing illusion" and got stuck in a deluted conscious state and can get out.

So, both are due to training without have a clear direction or and sifu to coach one but keep thinking one knows it all or greedy to have some kind of result or energy or power to cause leading into a wrong direction.

Seriously,
    These in Chinese called Man Siu Sia Liean (blindly cultivate).

One is looking for trouble walking this path.

By the ancient Chinese standard, Most of the people todays are travelling this dangerous path. Even some so called Sifu or famous expert...master......ect are really doesnt know what is going on but misleading. Take a look at the so called Qigong or energy path teaching today, 99% is looking for enlightement, looking for energy, looking for power, looking to show off one's attaiment, become master.....etc.
    According to the ancient, those are totally mis direction.

Dao mimic nature or Cultivating the Buddha nature is about TOTALLY SURRENDER one's desire, not about those looking for and chasing around power, energy....etc.

it is just most people never get serious and train enough to get into trouble.
    Thus, if one want to do it, make sure to get a proper path.

Hope these information which I once heard could help some who is in this path.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-18-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    He hasn't meditated for like 2 years. It's just that his symptoms still haven't gone away. And yes Western medicine does view pian cha as a psychological thing, but still can't readily cure it unfortunately.

You want to help him?

Contact Grandmaster Fu Wei Zhong to see what Gm Fu's advise.

http://www.emeiqigong.us/lineage/lin...wei-zhong.html
    http://www.emeiqigong.us/component/o...details/did,3/

Gm Fu is the person who the Shao LIn of China asked for help when the old monks such as late Ven. Hai Deng needs help.

Gm Fu is solid advance deal, this is much much beyond the ordinary TCM doctor or some sifu or Qigong master....etc.

Best Wishes
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-18-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Another interesting find regarding this:

Kundalini Syndrome: (Acute Crisis: Intestinal Rejuvenation Program, Grounding Essential Oil Blend,
    Immune Valor, daily exercise, Epsom salt baths, absolutely no pranayama or
    bandahs.) Heat: Liver Regeneration Program, Peppermint oil, Germ Shield.
    Weakness/Fatigue: Adrenal Support, Immune Valor, Essential Nutrients. Severe
    headaches: Head Relief – 8 droppers at a time

http://www.drfostersessentials.com/s..._Reference.pdf
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Aids would show those symptoms

edit:: *could with additional infection
    Last edited by jago25_98; 05-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Quite right. In fact, Rick's Western medical doctor has tested him for it each of the 3 years he's been suffering from kundalini syndrome even though he doesn't engage in any high-risk behaviors. Found this on the net too:

Kundalini Syndrome
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

This article is in need of attention from an expert on the subject. WikiProject Psychology or the Psychology Portal may be able to help recruit one. (November 2008)

The Kundalini Syndrome is a set of sensory, motor, mental and affective symptoms reported predominantly (according to certain writers on the subject) among people who have had a near-death experience[1][2]; it has also been attributed to practitioners of meditation or yoga[3] [4] [5].
    Researchers in the fields of psychiatry[6], transpersonal psychology[7][8], and near-death studies[1][2] describe a complex pattern of sensory, motor, mental and affective symptoms associated with the concept of Kundalini, sometimes called the Kundalini syndrome[2]. This psycho-spiritual and transformative process is believed to occur in connection with a near-death experience [1][2], or with prolonged, intensive spiritual or contemplative practice, as practiced within a few sub-disciplines of meditation or yoga [1][9] [10]. Some commentators, such as Kason, tend to emphasize the risk associated with certain intensive Yoga- or meditation-techniques [11], especially in circumstances where the practitioner is not mentally and/or physically prepared. Other factors that may trigger this symptomatology includes a variety of intense personal crises or experiences [12].
    According to writers in the field of transpersonal psychology the process is not always sudden and dramatic, it can also start slowly and increase gradually in activity over time [13]. If the accompanying symptoms unfold in an intense manner that destabilizes the person, the process is usually interpreted as a "spiritual emergency" [14].
    According to Paramhans Swami Maheshwarananda awakening of kundalini (Kundalini yoga) shows itself as "awakening of inner knowledge". Like every form of energy one must also learn to understand spiritual energy. In order to be able to integrate this spiritual energy, careful purification and strengthening of the body and nervous system are required beforehand. By trying to force results considerable psychic disturbances and at times even permanent mental damage can occur. A spiritual master who walked this path before is required to guide the aspirant. Often will be found that negative experiences occurred only when acting without appropriate guidance or ignoring advice. [15]
    Contents
    [hide]
    • 1 Symptomatology
    • 2 Symptomatology in a broader context
    • 3 Reference in academic literature
    • 4 Cross-cultural observations
    • 5 Criticism
    • 6 Side effects
    • 7 Notes
    • 8 References
    • 9 Further reading
    • 10 External Links

[edit] Symptomatology in a broader context
    Even though the symptoms at times may be dramatic and disturbing, theorists such as Sovatsky[31] and Greyson[32] tend to interpret these observations in favor of viewing the unfolding symptomatology as largely non-pathological, maturational, and of evolutionary significance for humanity. According to Scotton[33] Kundalini-symptoms may, or may not, be associated with psychopathology, but are not reducible to any psychopathology. He also thinks that it is important to differentiate between the signs of Kundalini and the symptoms of pathology, and not subsume the signs of Kundalini under a pathological diagnosis. Other writers, such as Kason [34], tend to view the broad scope of the process, with the accompanying symptoms, as resulting in a "psycho-spiritual house-cleaning".
    [edit] Reference in academic literature
    A few writers, within the fields of psychiatry and psychology, have suggested a clinical approach to Kundalini-symptomatology. Possible improvements in the diagnostic system, that are meant to differentiate Kundalini syndrome from other disorders, have been suggested [7][6][35][36]. In an article from the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease theorists Turner, Lukoff, Barnhouse & Lu [37] discuss Kundalini-symptomatology in relation to the DSM-IV diagnostic category "Religious or Spiritual Problem"[38].
    Discussion of Kundalini-symptomatology has also appeared in a few mainstream academic journals, including Psychological Reports, where M. Thalbourne operates with a 35 item "Kundalini Scale" [39]. The concept also appears, very briefly, in an article from the Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine where Le Fanu [40] discusses a small detail regarding Kundalini symptomatology in connection with the interpretation of so-called medical "mystery syndromes".
    [edit] Cross-cultural observations
    Qigong, from China, is very similar to Kundalini Yoga (Hatha yoga or Maha yoga, 拙火瑜珈, 無上瑜伽) from India. The goal is to improve the qi (prana) flow in the body to achieve health benefits. Chinese[who?] have long been aware that qigong practice may lead to mental disorders and call it 走火入魔( walk into fire and devil), which, according to some commentators, is essentially Kundalini syndrome or qigong psychosis[41].
    The Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV) now includes the diagnostic category "qi-gong psychotic reaction" in its "Glossary of culture-bound syndromes" [42].

[edit] Side effects

This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this section if you can. (January 2008)

Problems have been known to occasionally arise from Kundalini rising[45][46][47] [48]
    Summary of known problems: Death, pseudo death, psychosis, pseudo psychosis, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, sadness, suicidal thoughts, urges to self-mutilate, homicidal urges, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), exacerbation of prior or current mental illness, insomnia, inability to hold a job, inability to talk, inability to drive, sexual pains, temporary blindness, and headaches [45] [47] [49][50][51]
    According to transpersonal theory, and Eastern spiritual traditions, these problems are thought to arise as karma - deep physical, psychological and emotional material — is brought to the surface of the mind as a result of yoga and meditative practice [47]. Consultation with a meditation teacher who is not trained in Kundalini techniques, or with a psychiatrist, medical doctor or therapist who is not knowledgeable about this process, often leads to confusion and misunderstanding. Teachers of Yoga familiar enough to guide students through the completion of Kundalini karmic release are so rare that the likeliness of having side effects solved smoothly is slim [52][citation needed].
    Using Western medicine to treat or suppress the Kundalini symptoms is not recommended, and in some cases may have undesirable side effects.[45][50] Grof noted that suppressing kundalini's side effects with psychiatric medicine could lead to death[45]. Some clinicians, such as Scotton [53], prefers to handle Kundalini episodes with as little physiological intervention as possible. He does however mention a few circumstances where he finds drug-treatment to be appropriate.
    On the other hand, Paramhans Swami Maheshwarananda cites his own guru: "Kundalini is the divine mother. A true mother never causes harm or does anything bad to her children." [54] True kundalini awakening has no side effects other than pure joy, pure knowledge and pure love. Other types of side effects are only an indication of unbalance in nervous system due to practice without a living and self-realized Spiritual Master or due to ignoring his advice.
    [edit] Notes

Categories: Syndromes
    Hidden categories: Psychology articles needing expert attention | Articles needing expert attention from November 2008 | All pages needing cleanup | Articles with specifically-marked weasel-worded phrases from April 2009 | Cleanup from January 2008 | All articles with unsourced statements | Articles with unsourced statements from May 2009 | Articles lacking page references