Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working the rotator cuff

it's the base issue that caused the injuries (weak muscles/loose tendons in the RC), and that is still an issue, that I'm looking to remedy.
    by Reverend Tap

Although you might not like what I am going to say, I think that gymnasitic with equipments is too strong activity. Yes, it will help to build strong arms and shoulders. That is gorilla like shape and strength. The activity even at intermediate level requires such physiques. That is why I say it is too strong. It will likely cause muscle overuse injury even without those dangerous moves like overhead somersault in mid-air. Another reason for likely cause of injury is the technicality of gymnastic with equipments. For example, moving on beams with the hands is placing too much stress on the arms and shoulders.

At this point, I have no range of motion problems, no pain, nothing like that; my shoulders are just far too willing to (painlessly) pop in and out of joint if I have my arms over my head.
    Shoulder joint is the most easily dislocated joint in human body. Once a joint has been dislocated, it will happen easier again because the soft bones, soft tissues around the joint (include ligaments ) are weakened. The only suggestion I will give you is to strengthen your RC first. No need to do exotic exercises. Simple exercises like internal and external upper arm rotation, forward and backward upper arm rotation against resistance will do. Go back to gymnaism only after you are certain you are ready.

One last advice is - if you will not give up gymnaistic with equipments, stay away from the dangerous exercises like horse stable, hanging rings, etc.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 02-28-2009 at 11:29 PM.

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

yep - generally good stuff - all pretty much run-of-the-mill PT protocols: basically working scapular stab via recruitment of lower traps first then adding on the glenohumeral movements; some work on serratus anterior via protractions as well, which is usually necessary; and of course external rotators

notice really no work on pecs / biceps to speak of

Any reason they're mostly on an incline bench? Is it just because on a regular bench face-down exercises will have your arms scraping the floor or is there a physiological reason?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Any reason they're mostly on an incline bench? Is it just because on a regular bench face-down exercises will have your arms scraping the floor or is there a physiological reason?
    well, for ERn at least, it is probably slightly easier to do it on an incline at end of range, because if you are on a flat bench, you are perpendicular to gravity at EOR when you are at maximal active insufficiency, which may not be ideal for shoulder rehab per se (it could depend on the stage as well); on an incline, you are perp. a bit before EOR, so it wouldn't be quite as hard - but that's about the only difference as far as the biomechanics that i can tell;

Typically, rotator cuffs(shoulder joints0, like knee joints and wrist joints and ankle joints, tend to get "overused" quickly, we use them everyday in our every day activites and we used them all the time in our sport specific activites, so when we decide to strength train them it is best to keep the reps low, not high.
    Most people will get should complications, just as the get knee complications from overuse and too much "time under load".
    The thing is, especially with the shoulders, too much weight can be very dangerous.
    You need to find that sweet medium that allows you to strength the shoulder and NOT do more than 10 reps, perferably in the 6-8 range.
    Also, try to avoid lateral raises and upright rowing as the tend to be the major causes if "wear and tear".
    Also be careful on doing flies for your chest, they put the shoulder under lots of stress.
    Doing 5X5 ( for example) of overhead presses = only 25 reps, whereas doing 5 sets of 12 = 60 and well, typically build far less strength.