Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulan

Mulan

Zhao Wei works better as Mulan for me than Zhang Ziyi. Z is just too girly. Vicky could be a better cross dresser.
    Zhao Wei Is 'Mulan'
    2009-02-11 15:07:42 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting
    Hong Kong director Jingle Ma thinks mainland actress Zhao Wei is perfect for the role of folk heroine Hua Mulan.

Hong Kong director Jingle Ma thinks mainland actress Zhao Wei is perfect for the role of folk heroine Hua Mulan.

"Zhao Wei has the qualities necessary to cross-play," Ma told the Beijing Times on Tuesday at a press conference for the film "Mulan", where he announced the start of filming.

Previous media reports suggested that Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Liu Yifei had all been considered for Hua Mulan, a young girl from ancient China's Northern Dynasties, who joined an all-male army to fight the enemies in place of her ailing father.

But the role eventually went to Zhao Wei, whose notable works include "Red Cliff" and "Painted Skin".

The character Hua Mulan was popularized in the West by the 1998 animated Disney film "Mulan".

But director Ma thinks the Hollywood Mulan doesn't match his impression of the heroine. "Zhao Wei's appearance is closer to that in my imagination," Ma says.

Last year, Ma took the directing baton of "Mulan" from Stanley Tong, who was reportedly hoping Zhang Ziyi could play Mulan.

There has been no statement from the film's investors explaining the change in directors.

In the upcoming film, actor Chen Kun will play Mulan's lover. Child actress Xu Jiao will play the young Mulan, and Russian pop singer Vitas is set to make a cameo.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i talked about this film, when disney wanted to do it. they wanted donnie yen to play the captain, whatever his name was. ill find the thread and link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Zhao Wei works better as Mulan for me than Zhang Ziyi. Z is just too girly. Vicky could be a better cross dresser.
    While it is true that Zhang Ziyi is REALLY girly...

Zhao Wei... not much less girly.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I like Zhao Wei better than Zhang Ziyi. Period.

She was hilarious in Shaolin Soccer.

My wife is a big fan of Zhao Wei and Fan Bingbing.
    Last edited by SimonM; 02-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nevermind that. What the heck kind of a name is,"Jingle?"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nevermind that. What the heck kind of a name is,"Jingle?"
    ?????
    I figgered it was "Jing Le"........

you mean "A WHOLE NEW WORLD" or "UNDER THE SEA"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I'm tempted to call BS on this pic...

Isn't this just a pic of Zhao Wei from her role in Red Cliff? No, wait, in Red Cliff she wore that dopey hat to conceal her true sex. In ancient China, it's easy for a hottie like Vicky to conceal her womanhood with just a dopey hat.

Click for pic
    First Look at Zhao Wei as MULAN
    Posted by Al Young at 7:40pm.

A few weeks back, it was confirmed that Zhao Wei (Vicki Zhao Wei) was awarded the title role of Mulan. Filming has already begun and three on-set shots of Zhao as the folk heroine in the warrior costumes has been revealed online. I always have a soft spot for a strong, capable leading ladies in films so naturally, I want to see how she will handle this character.

Production is currently in progress at the Hebei province.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i say that everytime i see a female cross dresser in kung fu movies. im like ****, they must have been blind as bats in ancient china.

mulan protested.

as reported by wenn news

Filming on the set of Chinese movie remake Mulan ground to a halt in Hong Kong this week (ends13Mar09) after villagers staged a protest amid allegations of unpaid bills from an earlier shoot.

Director Jingle Ma's latest project was forced to wind down for two days when Yixian locals objected to the cast and crew's return to the area.

They claimed the movie's producers had failed to settle outstanding debts from their previous days of filming in the Hebei Province, and launched the protest in an act of revenge.

Disney's animated version of Mulan became a big hit in the West upon its release in 1998 but flopped in China, where citizens felt local stars should have been involved in the making of the film.

For what? Were they renting locations? Hotel bills? Restaurant bills?

Whatever it was, if a production company can't pay some villager a couple of hundred bucks to rent his field for the day then that movie is in some serious trouble.

Also I don't understand what took two days....I would have settled that in two minutes just by saying "How much do we owe you?"
    Last edited by BoulderDawg; 03-14-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Zhao Wei = an excellent Mulan.

IMO, Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh or Liu Yifei would not fit the role at all, esp. Yeoh, who is waaaay too old for it. I think Yeoh's 46 or 47 now... a year or two older than me, anyway. Unless the movie's about Mulan in middle age.

In those old KF movies, I always thought it was a joke they couldn't tell a hottie from a man just because she put on men's clothes and tucked her hair in a fedora. Her voice and face would still be the same; she'd even still have makeup on! But then again, if Americans couldn't tell Clark Kent was Superman because of the suit and glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    For what? Were they renting locations? Hotel bills? Restaurant bills?

Whatever it was, if a production company can't pay some villager a couple of hundred bucks to rent his field for the day then that movie is in some serious trouble.

Also I don't understand what took two days....I would have settled that in two minutes just by saying "How much do we owe you?"

You speaking from all your movie making experience, *******?