Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mulan

From one of my fav local columnists, Jeff Yang

This is really about Tiana of Princess and the Frog, but Yang nails it in his discussion of Mulan and Pocahontas. He could have gone deeper with Jasmine. He only misses the other Disney princess of color, Esmeralda, and she's just ruddier but her ethnicity is 'gypsy'.
    Disney crowns a new princess
    By Jeff Yang, Special to SF Gate
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm the proud dad to two sons, so I only know about this whole princess thing secondhand. But my younger sister Christine has a three-year-old daughter, Sienna. And whenever we're over for dinner, Sienna goes through more outfits than a Chinese bride on her wedding day, showing off her entire Disney-branded princess wardrobe -- Snow White! Sleeping Beauty! Cinderella! Belle! -- in a never-ending royal rotation.

Chris says that Sienna's princess passion began with movies like "Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast," amped up after a visit to the Magic Kingdom where she saw Cinderella's Castle in real life, and became a full-blown addiction once she got her first costume, letting her step into the glass slippers of princesshood herself. "Now she wants them all," Chris tells me tiredly.

She's far from alone. Whatever qualms we may have about indoctrinating four-year-olds into a vision of femininity that's largely about wearing pretty dresses and shiny accessories, the Disney Princess brand appears unstoppable. This year, sales are expected to top $4 billion, making it far and away the most successful product-line in the company's corporate history.

This success, however, has to a certain extent become its biggest challenge. To keep up the brand's staggering growth, Disney constantly needs to engage new markets and expand its consumer audience. That, as much as social equity, was the motive behind the company's decision to develop the animated feature that opens everywhere this weekend: "The Princess and the Frog," which features Disney's first black animated heroine -- and its first-ever African American princess.

Threading the needle

Unlike every other Disney Princess tale, "Princess and the Frog" isn't rooted in a classic fairy or folktale (or, as with Pocahontas, extremely fictionalized history). It's tangentially inspired by the E.D. Baker children's book "The Frog Princess," but the protagonist of that tale is not black, and its setting is a typical fantasy setting, not Jazz Era New Orleans.

To accommodate their goals of creating something African Americans would embrace, Disney ended up rewriting and tweaking the story time and again. Early drafts of the script -- then still called "The Frog Princess" -- referred to the young heroine as a "chambermaid" named Maddy. Critics attacked the protagonist's serving-girl status and even her name as insufficiently aspirational for a princess (with some comparing it to a "slave name").

Meanwhile, a counter-backlash began to build, with critics on the right decrying Disney's decision to bow to "political correctness" and Internet commenters accusing the company of trying to "brainwash people" with "multicultural relationships" and "racial propaganda."

Without providing any spoilers, the end result is quite different from the version subject to those initial, mid-2000s reports -- and, in some senses, splits the difference between those two poles of criticism. Maddy is now Tiana, and rather than being a servant, she's the daughter of a poor but proud cook who inspires in her both a burgeoning culinary talent and the dream to own her own restaurant. The prince, rumored to be Caucasian in early drafts, has been named Naveen and is brilliantly played by Brazilian actor Bruno Campos; his hair is black and his skin is brown, reflecting either his Indian name or Latin-accented speech or both. And Tiana, voiced winningly by Tony winner Anika Noni Rose, is portrayed as strong and independent, and more than capable of making her own way in life.

"If 'Princess and the Frog' is successful, and there's every reason to believe it will be, you have the opportunity to upend the dominant cultural hierarchy you usually see in mainstream media," says Latoya Peterson, editor of Racialicious.com and a writer for leading feminist blog Jezebel. "In most films aimed at kids, African Americans are still depicted as nonessential parts of the narrative or as sidekicks, if they're even present at all."

In that sense, "Princess and the Frog" is a multicultural milestone, not quite as significant, perhaps, as last year's election of our first African American president -- but certainly an event with historic cultural implications. And commercial ones.

The Princess and the P&L

While it's true that three "multicultural" princesses -- Jasmine from "Aladdin," Pocahontas and Mulan -- preceded Tiana in integrating Disney's royal sorority (Delta Pi!), it's also apparent that the earlier trio were included simply to bring a diversity of aesthetics and traditions into the overall Princess canon. The intent wasn't to target Arab, Native and Asian American markets; multicultural outreach attempts by Disney on behalf of those films were primarily defensive in nature -- focused on stemming potential negative press from those communities, rather than actively cultivating them as consumers.

"With these other groups, I'll be blunt and say Disney was not as concerned with f***ing up," says Peterson. "Disney took the stance that, 'We're making this movie, and everyone's going to get on board because hell, we're Disney.' But with 'Princess and the Frog,' they've been extremely careful. They've taken calculated step after calculated step, and been responsive to feedback."

Peterson points out that in addition to the political consequences of offending the black community, there was a strong awareness of the commercial opportunity represented by the African American market, whose buying power is likely to pass $1 trillion by 2011.

"We're a hyperconsuming market," she says. "Every study out there shows that dime for dime, in media, clothing and accessories, personal care, electronics, toys and games, we outspend the so-called 'mainstream.'"

The less robust consumer prospects of the smaller Asian American and Native American markets have had a direct consequence on the profile of Mulan and Pocahontas; they're generally pushed to the rear of group portraits, and they're the two princesses most likely to be left out when the herd is trimmed down, appearing only in the most inclusive sets of merchandise.

Of course, that's because both Mulan and Pocahontas stretch the definition of "princess" dangerously thin, given how different their source material is from the classic European storybook template. Mulan's tale, about a girl who dresses as a boy to join the army, features more swashbuckling action than swooning romance, there isn't a castle to be seen anywhere, and the charming prince isn't a prince -- or particularly charming. Pocahontas's storyline is even more complicated, in that she, alone out of the Disney princesses, is based on a real historical character who almost certainly didn't actually hang out with talking trees and a mischievous slapstick raccoon.

Their decidedly un-fairy-tale narratives also don't offer the kind of merchandising options commonly associated with Disney princesshood: Poofy eveningwear, elaborate jewelry, fun accessories. Mulan spends most of her movie in armor; Pocahontas has one buckskin outfit to her name, and doesn't even wear shoes.

"If you get a panel of five-year-olds together and talk about it, they'll agree that Cinderella and Aurora and Snow White and Belle and even Jasmine are princesses," notes Peterson. "At the end of their movies, they get married. They have castles. They're rich. They're chillin'. But they'll say, Mulan and Pocahontas are not princesses -- they have jobs. Mulan is a soldier. Pocahontas is a diplomat. You can't be a princess if you have a job."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

more

Continued from previous post.
    And Tiana doesn't just have a job -- she has two of them, waitressing double-shifts at different restaurants to fulfill her dream of opening a hoppin' hotspot of her own. She does appear in the movie in a lovely ball gown (borrowed from a rich white friend!), but she spends even more screen time as, well, a frog.

So what happens after the novelty around Tiana wears off? Will she join Mulan and Pocahontas at the back of the Disney pumpkin coach?

Getting it on their chests

That's unlikely. The African American market alone is likely to ensure that Tiana merchandise flies off the shelves, bolstered by her storyline's embedded themes of independence, strong womanhood and loyalty to loved ones.

"The importance of faith and family, the notion of making your own dreams come true rather than depending on others -- those are messages black women tell their daughters all the time," says Peterson. "I mean, look at Beyonce. Her entire career has been based on black girl-power anthems."

But, Peterson adds, Disney also faces issues if it's too successful in targeting the African American market, since that might lead general market (e.g., white) consumers to perceive Tiana merchandise as being primarily or exclusively the province of black consumers.

It remains an uncomfortable truism that our society sees no problem with young black (or Asian or Native or Latino) girls wearing t-shirts of blonde Hannah Montana's face, but tends to assume that clothing or merchandise with black images on them are solely "intended for" African Americans.

"That's in large part a manifestation of the fact that our culture identifies black things as being inferior, because black people are perceived as inferior," she says. "The mainstream is not interested in something if it's too black. And to a certain extent, we've indulged that -- there's been such an aggressive marketing of the phrase, 'It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand,' that even many well-intentioned white consumers end up being scared to embrace anything from 'our world.'"

Happily ever after?

For those of us who've watched in irritation as interesting and subversive "ethnic" princesses like Mulan receive short shrift in favor of the blander "classic" princesses, "Princess and the Frog" is a breakthrough. It's a Disney tale with a fiercely self-reliant woman of color at its center, a girl in tune with her culture, in touch with her values and in no need of saving by anyone but herself. And unlike its predecessors, it's got the full weight of the Mouse's marketing magic behind it.

For Disney, it's a high-rolling test of whether it can develop a multibillion-dollar tent-pole brand around a multicultural character -- something that will be critical as the company ramps up initiatives in fast-growing emerging markets like Brazil, India and China (which just approved Disney's plans to build Shanghai Disneyland, opening in 2014 as the largest Disney theme park in the world).

Does "Princess" pass this test? To find out, last week I bit the $50-per-head bullet and took the kids out to the Ultimate Disney Experience, the New York and L.A.-only VIP event that offered an advance preview of the movie with the chance to join the entire line of princess characters in a kind of interactive Princesspalooza.

Having completed the Ultimate Disney gauntlet, I can report that the animation is wondrous, the acting terrific, the story engaging -- this is a Disney gem, worthy of being watched as a classic by generations to come. The hundreds of girls (and one boy) at the after-show meet-and-greet were entranced at meeting Tiana in real life.

And nearly all of them, black, white, Asian and Latino, went home beaming, clutching bags filled with Tiana tiaras, green lily-bedecked gowns and stuffed frogs.
    White princesses don't work. That's so funny.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SPJ got the first review...

...I got the second.

Firstly, Vicky Zhao Wei is one of my fav actresses now. We last saw Zhao Wei in Painted Skin and Red Cliff, both of which she was a scene stealer extraordinaire. Here she was the lead.

Mulan is a sweeping period epic, the sort that China is specializing in right now: vast panoramic landscapes, ornate armor, battles with hundreds, if not thousands, of extras (extras are cheaper than CGI in China), artsy cinematography, mythic tales. If you haven't seen one of these yet, you really should. Now, I'm kind of numb to them.

In a nutshell, Mulan needed less crying and more ass kicking.

It's freakishly close to Disney's Mulan. The horse, her dad, some of her friends in the army, the almost busted bathing scene - there are lots of places where it's uncomfortably similar. The beginning and end were so much alike that I kept looking for Mushu and Cri-Kee. The middle is totally different. Mulan is outed much earlier, which is more loyal to the legend and works better (Why can't those stupid soldiers tell Mulan is a hot chick? She's even got eyeshadow on!) The Huns are wonderfully goth, decorated in bones and treachery. There's some great battle stuff, but not enough for my tastes. There's even the Huns on the ridge scene and an avalanche of sorts, although its actually a sirocco, but the effect is the same.

The film was a tad too Ashes of Time for me, too brooding, too many fade outs to white, which were glaringly harsh since most of the film is cast in earth tones with rich blue and purple costumes. I was hoping that it would go into some Mulan legends but no. There's this great legend of how Mulan defeats an army by tying lamps to goats and sending them on a mountain - the enemy is tricked into thinking Mulan's troops were scaling the mountain and expose themselves to her surprise attack. There are several great legends like this that remained unexplored. Instead, it dwells on how much is sucks to fight ruthless Mongol hordes that greatly outnumber your troops in the desert.

On a side note, Vitas' character is really creepy, not evil creepy, just weird creepy. Jaycee Chan (Jackie's son) was really good - in fact, he became my favorite character of the film.

And Vicky, with her freakishly huge eyes, cries way too much. Mulan was not a crybaby. That so didn't work for me, even though I love Vicky and her big tearful eyes. She's way too weak for Mulan. As Mushu would say, she spoils it all with her 'girly ways'. If you want to see Vicky as a powerful cross-dressing warrior, check out Red Cliff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My daughter watched Mulan everyday for about 6 months when she was 3. It was her favorite movie for a long time, but eventually she fell to the darkside and went batsh1t crazy over Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

When I would wear my kung fu t-shirts, she would always say "That's Mulan writing!"
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Another theatrical version

The English dubbing sounds hilarious. Typical Shaolin male indeed.
    January 7, 2010
    Chinese State Circus: Mulan
    Donald Hutera

The version of the Chinese State Circus that can be seen in 18 British venues until March 27 is actually an ad hoc mix of acrobats and Shaolin monks. I caught the two groups in action on a cold December afternoon, grateful to be within the relatively comfortable confines of a heated tent pitched on Blackheath Common in South London. Although all subsequent dates on their tour will be indoors, more tent-based performances are likely to be scheduled from April onwards.

The show the Chinese are doing is Mulan, the name of a female warrior (and here an emperor’s daughter) whose legend also inspired Disney’s hit animated film. This production also ropes in Monkey and Pig, mythical Chinese characters made popular in the cult 1970s Japanese TV series Monkey. Together they serve as ringmasters and narrators while supplying low-grade comic relief. Why else would the annoying Pig anachronistically believe that he’s a New York taxi driver?

Spots of spoken text are heard in an English voiceover while the performers move their lips, as in a badly dubbed foreign film. Tacky? Yes, but also curiously endearing.

Audiences won’t be drawn to Mulan for the minimal dramatic arc of a script that makes token nods to feminism. Instead we come to witness a display of skills steeped in tradition, as well as a bit of old-fashioned spectacle. On that score this production, with its slightly home-made air, works. The string of stunts it spreads across two acts eventually turn the show into sincere and undemanding family entertainment that more than once induces a sense of wonder.

The cast of about 25 exudes an unaffected strength that also has a capacity to thrill. The typical Shaolin male merges meditative serenity and fierce concentration whether bashing his shaven pate with a thin iron bar, resting his guts and then revolving on the tips of a trident or hooking ankles behind head and twisting into pretzel shapes. All, apparently, for the sake of showbusiness.

I also admired the individuals who threw themselves into paroxysms of combative mime, leaping and rolling before flipping into a tigerishly crouching conclusion.

The acrobats are no slouches either. Although the lion dancers were having an off day when I saw them, there were later compensations. These included five miniskirted female unicyclists who use the tips of their boots to toss silver dog bowls up on to their heads, or the young muscle man who balances a precarious, wing-like assemblage of a dozen benches on his forehead. Acts such as these remind you what a weird but wonderful world circus performers inhabit, regardless of their origins.

Tonight and Sat, Sage Gateshead;further tour details at www.thechinesestatecircus.eu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

mulan the movie

I like this one more than the other

1. discussion of war and peace.

2. mulan or any general needed to drop personal feelings and affections down and focus on the tasks at hand. all of your best friends died before you---

3. tactics and strategy and not just bravery in fighting

4. all generals will be tired of wars

5. going home and retired. the emperor of wei awarded mulan the general in command, she said no and to go home is what she most wanted. She went to war b/c her country was in danger. then over 10 years passing by---

The live show

I keep thinking I should clip this and move it to the Shaolin forum.
    The Chinese State Circus presents Mulan at ****ing Halls
    Monday, March 15, 2010, 17:38

From the land of legends and warrior monks the Chinese State Circus brings its new show to ****ing this week.

Featuring the Shaolin Warriors, the show is based on the legend of one of China's greatest heroines, Mulan.

Passed down from generation to generation, the ballad of Mulan, written during the Tang dynasty, is one of China's best-loved stories.

It tells the heroic tale of a strong-minded country girl who joined the Emperor's all-male army in place of her father who was too old to fight. Through her warrior skills she was promoted to the rank of general, yet during her epic exploits defeating all her enemies, no one was aware that she was a woman.

Cast in the title role of Mulan is martial arts expert Cao Jing, making her first appearance in the UK. Her 15 years of Kung Fu training will be put to the test in a dramatic fight sequence in which she encounters a giant warrior.

Marvel also at the aerial act performed high above the ring on silken strands, flying acrobats revolving on bungee lines, the gravity-defying gymnastics of the double poles, the seemingly impossible body manipulations of the hand-balancer and the somersaulting repertoire of the hoop divers.

Chinese State Circus presents Mulan, ****ing Halls, Monday, March 15, 8pm; Tuesday, March 16 and Wednesday, March 17, 5pm, 8pm; from £10 to £27 (family tickets available), 01306 881717 www.****inghalls.co.uk
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Why would "D0rk" be a proscribed word?

Anway, the show is on in D0rking, Surrey, UK.

That's a very naughty word in American English...

...just kidding.

The censors are preset. I can override them, but I find them really amusing for their arbitrary nature, so I don't.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw a p0rn version of Mulan not too long ago.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

really?

As in hentai or live action? What year was that?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As in hentai or live action? What year was that?
    Live,,,geez...I don't know the year, LOL !
    It was one of those parody p0rn clips.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Turns out there's an Asian porn star that goes by the name Mulan

There's a lot of Mulan hentai-like stuff, as with all the Disney princesses. Search that for yourself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

NOT Hentai

Although this does faintly remind me of that Playboy artist Patrick Nagel.

Mulan, Disney's Often-Forgotten Princess, Gets an Absolutely Perfect Tribute
    Germain Lussier
    Thursday 4:00pm Filed to: THIS IS AWESOME

So often Mulan gets forgotten. The 1998 Disney film came out a little between the company’s golden eras. Because of that, we don’t see as many t-shirts, dolls, or posters of Mulan like you do for Ariel or Belle. But Disney is about to release a tribute that almost makes up for that. Almost.

Yes, the company is prepping a live-action remake, a fitting tribute indeed, but that’s years away. This tribute is out Friday, and it’s in the form of a striking new poster from Cyclops Print Works. The poster by artist Craig Drake is a 24 x 36 inch, 23-color screenprint, in two editions. Drake’s style combined with the colors and details create a simply gorgeous image, one that captures the power and beauty of the character in an absolutely perfect way.

The top version is an edition of 95. And the bottom is an edition of 50. They cost $100 and $110 respectively. So it’s a relatively expensive, very small run to be sure, but anyone who gets one will have just about the best Mulan poster ever.

The posters go on sale at noon PST on Friday January 27 to celebrate the Lunar New Year at Cyclops Print Works.

As for that live-action movie, no real news has cropped up since last October when it was announced the film would be released November 2, 2018. But you’d expect at least a director to be announced soon. It’s going to be written by Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin as “a more nuanced and elaborate adaptation” of material “combining the legendary ballad and the 1998 animated film.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhao Wei vs. Disney Princess

What Disney can learn from the 2009 Chinese live-action ‘Mulan’
    HERE'S WHAT 'HUA MULAN' GOT RIGHT
    4:30 PM EST, FEBRUARY 17, 2017
    DISNEYFEATURES
    NASIM MANSURI

Disney seems to have a long-term plan to churn out live-action versions of its most popular animations, and Mulan is the latest of its projects. The live-action version of the Chinese legend is already getting us excited, but many people don’t know that an excellent live-action Mulan movie already exists, made by a Chinese studio.

Hua Mulan (sometimes translated as Mulan: Rise of a Warrior) is a 2009 film by director Jingle Ma. It tells the story of Hua Mulan, a young woman who goes to war instead of her aging father, and rises in the army’s ranks. It won many awards in China, and stars Wei Zhao as Mulan.

Disney’s Mulan wasn’t favorably received in China when it was released, with audiences saying it was too different from the original legend, and too Westernized. Now would be a good time for the studio to make the film as globally appealing as it can be — and Hua Mulan is a perfect example of how to do our favorite female warrior justice.

Here are some things Hua Mulan got right that Disney would do well to learn from.

Bringing more realism to the legend

Hua Mulan follows a plot that is more loyal to the original legend of Mulan, which states that she was a warrior for the Chinese army for over a decade. In the film, she even becomes a General, and retires with the nation’s respect, even after her identity as a woman is revealed.

Seeing Mulan lead thousands of men in Hua Mulan is a rare and empowering experience. Her struggles as a woman in a position of power, and the various dilemmas that come with commanding such a large number of people, are what bring intensity and meaning to the story. Mulan itself explored the concept of honor and femininity as well, but we only got a very small glimpse at the power that the legendary Mulan is said to have actually wielded.

While Disney may not want to make a movie that ventures too far from a family friendly atmosphere by portraying a Mulan who goes to war too realistically (as in, showing her killing enemies), it would be great to see her rise in the ranks and revolutionize such a male-dominated space the way she is said to have done.

Not shying away from the grit — but not making it too grim, either

Hua Mulan does an excellent job of skirting the line between grim tragedy and friendly comedy. With thousands of extras, the battle scenes are as breathtaking and inspiring as they are horrifying. There’s a scene where Mulan counts the dog tags of all the fallen soldiers, and a considerable amount of time is spent exploring her despair and responsibility as the army’s struggle becomes more desperate. The emotional rawness of the story creates a very real, very flawed, yet very lovable Mulan — and takes audiences on an exploration of heroism, perseverance, and honor.

Of course, we can’t expect Disney to go all out with blood and grit — they’re bound to bring out Mushu, after all — but Disney prides itself on epic battles and fantastic special effects, and they’ll want to serve us war scenes as breathtaking and realistic as possible.

However, we’re all tired of grittiness for grittiness’ sake. Despite the heaviness of the more emotional scenes of Hua Mulan, there is sweetness and humor. The friendships in the army, much like those of Disney’s version, can be laugh-out-loud funny, and the scenes of Mulan’s struggle to preserve her male appearance are equally fun to watch.

After all, audiences won’t be going to see Mulan to see war and sadness — the animated version was fun and adventurous, and although it had somber moments, it still managed to keep things just lighthearted enough for us to not get too sad. With animation, that lightheartedness is an easier task; portraying war with real actors could prove a more difficult challenge.

Establishing more depth in the main relationship

In Hua Mulan, Mulan and Wentai’s relationship is beautiful, but it builds over a long period of time, and strengthens through their mutual respect as they both struggle to lead an army. Their love is based on that combination of trust built over time, and shared responsibility.

Shang and Mulan have what is possibly one of the best relationships Disney has ever come up with. Among the Disney ‘princesses,’ Mulan and Shang probably have the greatest chemistry and story of all, and scenes from the animated film continue to be shipping fuel. Presumably, they’ll want to replicate this relationship in the new live-action version.

However, the animated film was sadly limited to only a few glimpses of the developing relationship. It would be amazing if we could see more of the friendship between Shang and Mulan (as Ping) and how it becomes something more. It’s rare in a ‘princess’ movie to see romance begin with sincere friendship, and it’ll be interesting to see how they deal with the confusion regarding Mulan’s gender in both a funny and profound way.

Giving it a more realistic conclusion

There are some scenes that could do with a makeover, especially at the very end. Mulan’s final trick to kill Shan Yu — by dressing three soldiers in drag and having them attempt to distract him — is hilarious in the animation, but would come off as strange and unrealistic in a live-action movie, and perhaps even a little offensive.

Hua Mulan’s approach to defeating the enemy is a much more powerful one. Although it equals Mulan in stealth and cleverness, it involves realistic strategy and power dynamics, and finally involves her making a deal that saves China through negotiation, rather than war — and making a terribly painful personal sacrifice.

Disney has a penchant for epic final battle scenes, but that isn’t what happens in either Mulan or Hua Mulan. In both cases, it’s Mulan’s cleverness that saves the day. It would be great to see that cleverness translated into a realistic solution, in the same way it does in Hua Mulan.

It’s not like Disney hasn’t subverted its own canon, after all. In Maleficient, it isn’t the prince’s kiss that lifts the spell. Disney could certainly benefit from giving Mulan a more epic finale, and perhaps one that does her legendary character justice.

Immersing us in historically-accurate China

Besides perhaps The Jungle Book, we’ve yet to see a live-action adaptation that takes place in a non-European culture. In fact, this would be the first film to employ solely actors of color. What Disney decides to do here will be particularly interesting; since Aladdin will be getting its own adaptation soon, and Pocahontas could also follow in the live-action trend, the decisions taken here will likely set a precedent for what will be done with those films.

There were rumors earlier of Mulan having a white love interest, which now seem to be crushed, thankfully. We want to see a film with an entirely Asian cast — hopefully at least mostly Chinese — and get a chance to explore the scenery, sets and props of ancient China.

Although, it’s only fair to say that Hua Mulan also has its own white character — a Russian singer called Vitas, who inexplicably pops up now and again. That’s another tip for Disney: don’t just insert white guys into the story for no reason.

Hua Mulan’s shots of rural China are beautiful and unique, and it would be amazing to see what Disney can do if they choose to show much of what they did in animation, with real sets and locations. Hopefully, Disney gets a chance to actually film in China itself.

All this doesn’t go to say that we want a copy of Hua Mulan. Not at all. Hua Mulan is an excellent film in its own right, but it’s considerably more adult than Disney would ever dare make an adaptation. The realism of its wars and of the toll duty takes on Mulan and her companions is nothing like the fun, if occasionally emotional, adventure Disney took us on with Mulan.

Disney’s version is a movie to be excited about, and the additions the animated film made to the legend are what makes it a classic. It would be amazing to see Mushu, Shang, the ancestors, and maybe even the cricket, on screen, as well as the songs, of course! “Make a Man Out of You” with real actors will definitely be one of the biggest highlights.

So far, we know that Mulan’s director will be Niki Caro. Although she isn’t Chinese, a matter that raises a lot of questions about representation, it’s still encouraging to see a female director chosen — and if Caro’s powerful film Whale Rider is any indication, she’s rather good at telling empowering stories with female leads. Hopefully, the rest of the team can be filled with talented Chinese filmmakers that deserve to have a hand in rendering such a culturally significant story properly.

After all, Mulan is primarily a Chinese legend, and her story spans a history much longer than the 18 years since Disney’s animation came out.

In the meantime, go check out Hua Mulan, which is a fascinating film (although a considerably more adult one; you’ve been warned)!
    I don't really agree with this author. I wasn't overly impressed by Zhao Wei's Mulan. And I'm a fan of Zhao Wei.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips