Thread: I think forms suck

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Actually, you could use the same example to demonstrate what CG tries to achieve.
    Something to remember with that example is that although chimps have bigger, stronger joints and smaller muscles than humans, they are in peak health, they are MUSCULAR, and they have mass - adults can weigh 150+lbs.

Mass is an important factor no matter how you're training. Some Martial Artists like to keep their mass around their Dan Tian ( ); as long as they have strong joints, good structure, and smart tactics, then they should be ok against most people. I prefer to distribute mass as muscle: muscle is healthier metabolically, and a certain degree of muscularity complements and enhances the joints' capabilities... and there are no fat chimps.

I can explain in a general manner without being explicit as these aspects of training are not for discussion on internet forums.
    I disagree. This forum is a perfect place to discuss training risks/benefits.

However, I can make the general statement that says that weight training will negate this particular style's body unity principles
    In what way? Is there a concern that training specific muscles (such as the biceps) in isolation will detract from functional unity?

Modern athletic training has addressed this issue by making as much of the training as FUNCTIONAL as possible. That is, muscles are not trained in isolation: they are trained together in as close to an environment and situation as the real thing. Modern athletic training is much different than it used to be. Today it can include joint realignment and strengthening, core realignment and strengthening, Nervous system refinement, nutrition, functional plyometrics, functional weight training, stretching/relaxation, play practice, visualization, counselling, and rest.

as well as creating "stiff" power/strength, which is to be avoided in favor of relaxed power, while appreciating the fact that there are other styles that use relaxed power also practicing "careful" weight training.
    Relaxed power is important, I agree. The stiffer you are, the less adaptive and connected you are.

According to your profile you practice Internal kung fu, so I am supposing that what I have said will be adequate to give you an idea.
    Everyone gets ideas.

It is good to corresponde with people who actually train kung fu, even if you use certain different TCMA practices.
    Most of the people I discuss with on here train Kung Fu. I enjoy discussing with them, as well as with non-kung fu people.

There are styles of Internal TCMAs that do not use weight training in their power/strength building methodology as this will negate certain results that they aim to achieve.

I can also add, so as to be clear:

1. I am not saying that all other styles of kung fu are bad!LOL

2. I am not saying that I have the real kung fu and no one else has ! LOL

3. I am not saying that weight training is not used in other kung fu styles! LOL

4. I am not saying that weight training should not be used in authentic TCMA training! LOL
    K. Glad that's cleared up. Moving on.

So, my statement is a simple statement. It is clear. However, the concept is not clear as it is an unusual one to start with and it is unknown to people who have not had access to genuine kung fu schools
    Seriously, you should start a thread specifically about sinew/tendon changing methods, what kinds there are, and who practices them. The one I know is actually a Daoist Yi Jin Jing method called "Heavy Hands."

and/or others who have spent their lives jumping from one MA to another (sometimes even contradicting styles)
    travelling/moving wreaks havoc on traditional martial arts training.

and because they had done "kung fu" along the way, mistakenly think that they know all there is to know and that if they haven't heard of a certain TCMA methodology then they can just go ahead and dispute, criticize and ridicule the person who brings it up, even chasing away new posters who are ACTUAL traditionalists.
    I'm sure this happens. I'm also sure that there are traditionalists who may chase away posters by behaving similarly to what you say above. On the list of first impressions, Physical skill is often trumped by Communications skill.

Yes, there are a lot of fragile egos here and they are fragile because they lack SUBSTANCE and ESSENCE regarding authentic TCMA training and knowledge.
    Ego or not, I recommend EVERYONE gets counselling (I did.) And trains hard. And keeps an open mind. And respects others. Everyone.

You were here all the way. How many of these guys came out and said, sorry we don't know about this methodology? NO one! How many knew of this methodology? No one!
    To be fair, you all weren't being very clear. Maybe there was too much defensiveness and aggression on everyone's part.

You and Ten Tigers are the only ones who made sense in this subject area. Why? Because you actually practice the relevant arts. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!
    My grandmother died of Alzheimers. About 2 years before she died, she entered a phase of the disease which gave her a rare type of aphasia. She could speak clearly, she just didn't "make sense." The nurses and my family thought she had completely lost touch with reality. Turns out, she knew exactly what she meant, she just couldn't say it.
    "I'm a double agent," she proudly exclaimed one day.
    "Oh really," I said.
    "Yes," she said proudly, "In the morning, the Catholics are everywhere, so I pretend to be a Catholic and work for the Catholics. Then in the afternoon they leave and the Protestants come in and I pretend to be a Protestant, and work for them! BUT, I tell them what the Catholics are up to, and then the next day I tell the Catholics what the Protestants are up to! I'm a double agent!"

"Uh-huh," I said. Then it dawned on me. She was talking about the nurses shifts.

Sometimes, instead of just dismissing someone as crazy, ignorant, or lacking in knowledge, take a moment to ask yourself how what they're saying COULD constructively benefit the discussion, and ask yourself how what you say possibly COULD be interpreted by others. Clear comprehension and clear communication work together.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 11-25-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero