Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I think forms suck

although as far as someone who is pure cma, sanda is a better format to let yourself shine, as the ground is non existant.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That sir is very true. But then they would be glorified kickboxers

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    That sir is very true. But then they would be glorified kickboxers
    lol

gotta find glory where you can !

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    although as far as someone who is pure cma, sanda is a better format to let yourself shine, as the ground is non existant.
    Indeed. I'm in the boat of "perfecting" one game rather than being adequate in several (a la MMA).

I mean I love watching MMA but would never compete in the format. Don't wanna spend that much time learning the ground game (and really, how many streetfights are you gonna get in where you will have to be a black belt in BJJ to get out?).
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    and really, how many streetfights are you gonna get in where you will have to be a black belt in BJJ to get out?).
    If you live in OKlahoma, Texas, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, or Indiana, the odds of someone 'on the street' knowing how to wrestle are pretty high.

And to tell you the truth, I don't train for self-defense. I train for the sake of training. Grappling allows you to train very hard with minimal chance of injury, especially compared to San Da. So, you can get a great workout, build your endurance, core strength, and flexibility, well past the age where you can Kick/Punch/Throw hard and still get out of bed in the morning.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    If you live in OKlahoma, Texas, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, or Indiana, the odds of someone 'on the street' knowing how to wrestle are pretty high.

And to tell you the truth, I don't train for self-defense. I train for the sake of training. Grappling allows you to train very hard with minimal chance of injury, especially compared to San Da. So, you can get a great workout, build your endurance, core strength, and flexibility, well past the age where you can Kick/Punch/Throw hard and still get out of bed in the morning.
    I just don't care about grappling personally. I respect it and the people that do it.

But give me 5 days a week to train. I'd rather spend all 5 sparring, boxing, doing CLF, hitting the bags, whatever. I like to punch stuff. That's just that.

Also the the guys who know how to "wrestle" on “the streets" how much FIGHTING experience do they have? Probably not alot.

There's a matter of being big and strong, and thinking you're tought sh!t.

It's another matter to be able to take a ****ing shovel hook to liver, a stomp kick to the knee or a low roundhouse to the thighs followed by a hard upper or hook to the head. Throw in some elbows or knees.

Striking forces you to get used to the pain, grit your teeth, and keep going. Most "wrestlers" (like high school wrestlers etc who never do MMA) goes down after a good knee to the gut.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

ding ding ding! we have a winnnnnnnah
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Our Sifu has been doing so for over 30 years and is from Hong Kong. He uses what I gather is the traditional model. We learn open hand forms, interspersed with pad drills. Then go to two-man forms and then weapons. After a couple of years of building strength, endurance, and technique, the focus turns more to self-defense. It seems to be a "way of life" model, rather than the way teaching is organized at some other kenpo and karate schools I've seen, where the curriculum takes a broad approach from the start with technique, self defense, and over time fitness.

I like forms
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Also the the guys who know how to "wrestle" on “the streets" how much FIGHTING experience do they have? Probably not alot.
    You mean besides 10+ years of wrestling in school 100% against guys trying to hurt you? LOL!

It's another matter to be able to take a ****ing shovel hook to liver, a stomp kick to the knee or a low roundhouse to the thighs followed by a hard upper or hook to the head. Throw in some elbows or knees.
    You better add a sprawl in there, somewhere.

Striking forces you to get used to the pain, grit your teeth, and keep going. Most "wrestlers" (like high school wrestlers etc who never do MMA) goes down after a good knee to the gut.
    And you don't go down after a good knee to gut?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Wait a minute...I should be able to get out of bed in the morning after a good sparring session?
    A unique snowflake

You mean besides 10+ years of wrestling in school 100% against guys trying to hurt you? LOL!

You better add a sprawl in there, somewhere.

And you don't go down after a good knee to gut?
    When did school wrestling become MMA.

The goal is to tap, not drop bombs and elbows on someone's face.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    I like the initial premise.

Baba Balogun of Egbe Ogun: African Wrestling said that a lot of practitioners of Asian martial arts believe that "the forms hold the secrets of the art". He says "no sparring holds the secrets of the art". Practicing forms day and night will not make you a proficient fighter. Though it will make you proficient at doing forms. I think that it is important for one's training methods to be consistent with one's purpose. If you're training for combat then forms may be useless. If your goal is to preserve tradition then forms have immense value.
    Stop posting and start training.

When did school wrestling become MMA.

The goal is to tap, not drop bombs and elbows on someone's face.
    Can you punch your way out of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitkR...eature=related

Can you punch your way out of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitkR...eature=related
    Now that was just pure sweetness.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !