Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think forms rule

I think forms rule

Okay, this is actually just a jab at Sanjuro

just wanted to give our new resident mod here some work !

haha

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

meh, if you'd been exposed to real MMA training you wouldn't post your glorified kung fu crap on here, I tell ya!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

haha

I agree.

just a side question, you're not coming on to me too like that other guy, are you?
    Cause I am as straight as Sean Connery !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I agree.

just a side question, you're not coming on to me too like that other guy, are you?
    Cause I am as straight as "Sean Connery" !!
    yeah thats strait alright

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    meh, if you'd been exposed to real MMA training you wouldn't post your glorified kung fu crap on here, I tell ya!
    If only some people would understand this...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about forms, but i do love the fighting aspect of my crappy kung foo system......lol
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

forms are the flowers that sprout from the seeds of self-expression...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    forms are the flowers that sprout from the seeds of self-expression...
    Ahhh, good old vague and nonsensical sayings. It really feels like a kung fu forum now

I find forms useful.

I enjoy practice of them and can readily feel some benefit to my health and understanding of my own body by practice of them.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I find forms useful.

I enjoy practice of them and can readily feel some benefit to my health and understanding of my own body by practice of them.
    So does pretty much everyone else.
    Very few people are against training forms, many may be against the illusions that some profess are the purpose of forms, but all of us tend to agree they have benefits.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think the underlying thinking is, and please correct me if I'm wrong,

Forms don't teach fighting, fighting teaches fighting? So, if you want to learn how to fight, fight. Fair enough.

PARABLE TIME!!

A Samuri comes to a village and everybody bows, but the oil merchant pouring oil into small containers.

The Samuri is offended and threatens to behead the man if he doesn't bow, and the man says, "I don't need to bow to you and your skill, I can pour oil through the hole in this coin, into my bottle, and not spill a drop." The Samuri watched as he did so, over and over again.

The Samuri then left.

7 years later the Samuri returned, and bowed to the Oil Merchant in recognition of his skill which the Samuri could not reproduce, and was enlightened.

To some, kung fu is about fighting. To others it is about physical skills and the pursuit of perfection in movement and timing. The goal is the pursuit, not the realisation.

--

There are two kinds of mountaineers you'll meet. When your sitting on the top and another climber scuttles up and you ask them, 'So, why'd you climb it?' Most offer the cliche "Because its here", or "I had to add it to my conquests" or the like. Few people answer the obvious, 'for the view.'

I guess you can just say that not everybody has the same motivations.
    If your own motivations gain force by the denial of alternatives or by measure against foreign standards, you have no validity other than what you take from others.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

haha

Forms training can be beneficial if practiced properly, taking account of the various elements within them, and as a part of a holistic kung fu training program that includes conditioning, Iron skills, two man exercises and of course, contact sparring.

I also believe that TCMA school should teach the essential forms of a given system and not cram unnecessary number of such exercises into their curriculum.

HW108

I'll add that not all forms are created equal. Some forms are just choreography. Others have 'more' to offer.

I know for a fact that there are skills I developed via form training, not techniques, but skills, that I could not have developed via free fighting, however, work in free fighting.

Could I have isolated those exercises, taken them out of the forms, practiced them in isolation against bags, explored how they apply to different techniques, then in more live circumstances, shure. I did.

Like I said, its not a technique, its a skill. Something that washes over lots of techniques.

Something you do thousands of times under static circumstances before you even understand what it does and how to use it.

No, never said it was quick, easy or efficient.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

When I was a young fellow I had the chance to see a few different things, like a form of karate, that I decided to learn. I quickly learned that it was not much different than my own style. A bit rigid really, but not much different otherwise. Then I went ****her into it and found that it had an unbelievable number of forms. Each were learned in order to advance. Then I realized that these forms were really dependent upon my physical abilities. I am short, have short legs, large upper body and upper body strength. I could not do all the forms and techniques well. I could do a few really well, but not all. Some I could never do because I was limited physically. I have watched a few other different styles and systems and have come to see that they are all pretty much the same in that respect. I would not be able to keep up with the same level of skill as I grew older. I don't really think anyone could. All those old guys in the movies were really 15 year old kids with gray wigs.
    Then I come to think that the forms didn't really teach me anything, just had me practicing techniques and such. This is really the way we learn to fight well. Fighting does not teach you much, except that you don't want to get hit in the face. Fighting is just a way of testing what you have already learned. It tells you what works and what don't in a given situation. But fighting never teaches you anything. When you are fighting you do not have time to realize what you are doing or have just done. And after the fight you will remember very little of what took place. It is a very poor learning atmosphere. Forms will get and keep you limber for a while, and it allows you to perfect your use of fighting techniques. And in order to make it worth while, you pretend that you are whipping someone.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    But fighting never teaches you anything. When you are fighting you do not have time to realize what you are doing or have just done. And after the fight you will remember very little of what took place. It is a very poor learning atmosphere.
    When you speak of fighting are you saying fighting like in the street/ring or are you speaking of sparring?

2 different environments.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.