Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I think forms suck

Forms are great, they are a link to the past, to the history of a system and as such, shoudl never be discarded.
    nevertheless, we must understand their limitations, their benefits and lack thereof.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    You are wrong. The reason I know that is because I'm right. The fact is - any activity can be tailored to be as tough as any other. To argue that one is more strenuous than another is silly.

It's like snowboarding. Some folks brag that they "never fall." If you don't fall, it simply means your not challenging yourself enough. If you don't suck wind after doing a form, you're not pushing yourself. Same goes for circuit training, or anything else.

Folks do forms b/c they like to. Can't argue with what people like to do. Or maybe you can, I don't know. I guess you can, b/c you are.
    Do you believe it is more efficient to spend 2 years doing forms to prepare for a fight than to spend 4 weeks of doing circuit training?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Can you expand on that?
    OK, I'll try.

Y o u d o 3 T a b a t a r o u n d s o f 8 e x e r c i s e s a n d s e e h o w m u c h w i n d y o u a r e s u c k i n g.

I h a v e s t u d e n t s r e g u a r l y p u k e i n m y c l a s s e s. H o w o f t e n d o y o u p u k e a f t e r d o i n g f o r m s?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    MasterKiller,

lemme ask you this. WIthin that four weeks, do you think it's possible that a fighter could retain the essence of the system and actually USE it, in such a short time without resorting to typical boxing type techniques? especially under pressure?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    OK, I'll try.

Y o u d o 3 T a b a t a r o u n d s o f 8 e x e r c i s e s a n d s e e h o w m u c h w i n d y o u a r e s u c k i n g.

I h a v e s t u d e n t s r e g u a r l y p u k e i n m y c l a s s e s. H o w o f t e n d o y o u p u k e a f t e r d o i n g f o r m s?
    Smartass, which protocol do you follow and what exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    MasterKiller,

lemme ask you this. WIthin that four weeks, do you think it's possible that a fighter could retain the essence of the system and actually USE it, in such a short time without resorting to typical boxing type techniques?
    I'm only talking cardio here.

Forms can have a place in training. They just shouldn't be the goal of training.

Blog Entries
    true.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Smartass, which protocol do you follow and what exercises?
    Normally, we do a circuit like this at the end of every class.

1. Skipping Knees on the Thai bag
    2. Jab Sprawl/Jab-Cross Sprawl
    3. Spiderman push ups
    4. Bodyweight squats
    5. Hop on/Hop off 2-ft high box
    6. Various 30-lb Kettlebell exercises (bent-over rows, clean and press, swings, etc...)
    7. Stomach crunches
    8. Jumping jacks or Burpees

20 seconds on/10 seconds off X 3 sets.

Not a true tabata, per se, but it's close to what I learned from Tim O'Conner at Ross' gym. It's been effective for me and my students.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-27-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Normally, we do a circuit like this at the end of every class.

1. Skipping Knees on the Thai bag
    2. Jab Sprawl/Jab-Cross Sprawl
    3. Spiderman push ups
    4. Bodyweight squats
    5. Hop on/Hop off 2-ft high box
    6. Various 30-lb Kettlebell exercises (bent-over rows, clean and press, swings, etc...)
    7. Stomach crunches
    8. Jumping jacks

20 seconds on/10 seconds off X 3 sets.

Not a true tabata, per se, but it's close to what I learned from Tim O'Conner at Ross' gym. It's been effective for me and my students.
    Very cool.
    So you would do #1 for 20 sec, rest 10, #2 for the same, rest, etc etc, and do 3 sets of these 8 exercises?

Very cool.
    So you would do #1 for 20 sec, rest 10, #2 for the same, rest, etc etc, and do 3 sets of these 8 exercises?
    yes, pretty much after every class.

yes, pretty much after every class.
    That'll get them puking !
    ******* !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if you're sucking wind after doing your forms, most likely you aren't breathing correctly. Forms aren't meant to be so much of a workout as they are a textbook of yur system. Sure, you can use them for that, but as MK said, circuit training is a better use of your time. BUT-if you are getting a good workout, and you enjoy using forms as such, why not? Then it is like Jazzercize.
    It is really not used for skill development. Techniques are rarely repeated in a form enough for you to develop them to the level that you would if you isolated them and drilled them. Repetition is the mother of skill.
    Forms are not to teach fighting, per se. They are a textbook. The techniques are in the forms, yes, but again, they need to be extracted and isolated.
    Forms were NEVER considered to be an imaginary fight, or to simulate fighting.
    That is simply what they told novices who asked too many questions when they should be training. Old skool teachers would simply say,"STFU and train, or go home!" The trouble is, many of these novices became teachers, without ever "getting it." Now they continue their ignorance.
    This is why so called "Modern MAists eschew forms. They took the words of the "experst" as gospel, and then when they found that forms weren't helping them fight, they disgarded them. For them, forms served no purpose.
    Like I said, if you have a notebook, and it's working for you, fine.
    Funny thing is, most TCMAists have notebooks as well as their forms. Many teachers have passed down their personal notebooks. They contain notes, insights, drills, supplementary training, etc.
    Certain forms serve other purposes as well. SPM's Sam Bo Ging teaches and trains the breath, the body, the power, and the spirit. This is "hardwired" into the sets. Isolating them does not accomplish the same thing as doing the form-although you do indeed isolate parts of the form-different methods for different reasons. Saamjien does the same thing. It is more of a drill, but in a set pattern.

Then there is the "Zen" thing. The form allows you to "get into yourself." But, you can do this with anything-running, swimming, mowing the lawn, drilling the makiwara, etc. But, forms are a definately good vehicle for this as one strives for self-perfection. Anyone who has done this knows what I'm talking about.
    Hey-it's just one more way you can enjoy Martial arts.
    You can play on any level.
    The problem is that many people are of the mentality that if they learn the Tiger Crane form, then they can now go out and tackle Bak Mei. If they learn the Drunken Fist, then they will take on the bad guys. This develops into forms collectors, who chase forms rather than skill.
    Too many Movies, not enough training.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm sure in 1847, people who did forms probably had better cardio than people who didn't, and some sort of correaltion was made between the two.

But it ain't 1847 anymore, so don't train like it.

Do you believe it is more efficient to spend 2 years doing forms to prepare for a fight than to spend 4 weeks of doing circuit training?

I think that you spend too much time thinking about fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    I think that you spend too much time thinking about fighting.
    Yeah MK, what are you thinking ???
    Martial arts and fighting, that's just whack !!