Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I think forms suck

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    I think that you spend too much time thinking about fighting.
    I didn't introduce 'fighing' into the argument. I merely stated that forms training was less efficient than other methods IF you were trying to prepare for a fight.

But, your evasiveness answers my question, regardless.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm guessing that you've never taken the first line of defense in a threatening situation - to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I didn't introduce 'fighing' into the argument. I merely stated that forms training was less efficient than other methods IF you were trying to prepare for a fight.

But, your evasiveness answers my question, regardless.

Well, I apologize then. You're right, we were talking about fitness. Apologies.

I'm guessing that you've never taken the first line of defense in a threatening situation - to walk away.
    What does that have to do with either A) forms B) cardio or C) the price of tea in China?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

What does that have to do with either A) forms B) cardio or C) the price of tea in China?
    I was replying to Mr. Ronin.

Replying to what with what ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Replying to what with what ?
    I think the bellow is what he was talking about

Your answer:

Yeah MK, what are you thinking ???
    Martial arts and fighting, that's just whack !!
    His reply to you:
    Back to Forms VRS non Forms. I enjoy doing forms, If you add it to the hardcore (make me puke) workout than I guess it can't be a bad thing to do it as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    Back to Forms VRS non Forms. I enjoy doing forms, If you add it to the hardcore (make me puke) workout than I guess it can't be a bad thing to do it as well right?
    I'm not saying you have to train to puke. Right now, my club is training for a submission tournament, followed by 3 guys fighting in cage matches in a few weeks. So, right now we are training to puke, but that's a different story.

If cardio is a concern, you should add more efficient training methods to your forms work. Forms are only part of a traditional training regime...Weights (like stone locks), forms, cardio, and stretching all make for a well-rounded total-body workout.

I'm not saying you have to train to puke. Right now, my club is training for a submission tournament, followed by 3 guys fighting in cage matches in a few weeks. So, right now we are training to puke, but that's a different story.

If cardio is a concern, you should add more efficient training methods to your forms work.
    Its a paced cycle in which you guys AMP up the training coming into the matches, correct?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Its a paced cycle in which you guys AMP up the training coming into the matches, correct?
    Yes, the pacing increases before competitions. We have a tournament next week in Norman, OK, so we're at a high level right now. We will slow down in March, then gradually amp it back up starting in April to get them ready to fight in May.

Now, the tabata set is done after every class, regardless. But we spend a lot more class time drilling and doing cooperative-resistance work, and spar/roll in shorter rounds or less rounds, than we do when preparing for competition.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-27-2009 at 02:17 PM.

im not arguing one way or the other.

i do practice 2 forms consistently, i wont go into the reasons why i maintain these 2 sequences, because a lot of you should already know.

but for the record:

I CAN MAKE MYSELF PUKE ANY **** TIME I FEEL LIKE IT !!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If cardio is a concern, you should add more efficient training methods to your forms work. Forms are only part of a traditional training regime...Weights (like stone locks), forms, cardio, and stretching all make for a well-rounded total-body workout.
    yeah I just added the puke part as a joke.

I wonder why so many CMA guys are interested in MMA-format competitions?

I would think K-1, Thai Boxing, and of course Sanda makes more sense as CMA is predominately striking . . .
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

a lot of cma practitioners are wanting to be realistic in their goals, as cma is often sought for delf defense means. mma is a more realistic format, as people arent going to let you get back up in the street if they take you down. usually.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Could be a glove thing.
    A lot of traditionalists hate wearing the big gloves and might lean towards the mma gloves.
    Also most CMA's have a strong Chin Na aspect which is basically standing grappling no? So that would explain the preference to be able to grab and subdue.
    Finally MMA's rules format is the closest to a NHB streetfight, with rules of course.