Thread: Pan-Am Competition Vid

Pan-Am Competition Vid

Hey all,

Here's the quarterfinal vid from the Pan-Am 2008 BJJ championships. I was triangled with a little under a minute left. For those of you who are interested, The mistake I made was to break my posture in an attempt to get my knee deeper in to block the triangle. I should have done that differently. I never understood why this was on the "Best of" DVD but it's actually a hell of a match.

He did a very good job. My conditioning was better. Since he made it to the semi-finals, he automatically medaled, but I think if I hadn't tired him out, he probably would of been 1st or 2nd. He was very tough, very strong, and very technical.

http://grappling-core.com/videos/_Ja...8?vid=10000940
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Great match man.
    You'll get 'im next time.
    Thanks for posting it.
    My buddy loves watching your vids - he's a blue under Marcello "Salazar" Bergo and says he wants to start competing seriously this year, probably no-gi.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Hey all,

Here's the quarterfinal vid from the Pan-Am 2008 BJJ championships. I was triangled with a little under a minute left. For those of you who are interested, The mistake I made was to break my posture in an attempt to get my knee deeper in to block the triangle. I should have done that differently. I never understood why this was on the "Best of" DVD but it's actually a hell of a match.

He did a very good job. My conditioning was better. Since he made it to the semi-finals, he automatically medaled, but I think if I hadn't tired him out, he probably would of been 1st or 2nd. He was very tough, very strong, and very technical.

http://grappling-core.com/videos/_Ja...8?vid=10000940
    It happens but the fight was good.
    Using a knee to break a triangle is something I don't usually do but it does sound effective. Watching your fight reminded me of a situation I got into while rolling recently.

In closed guard, I was too low and the guy got his legs around my neck. It was similar to your situation in the beginning as he didn't have a full triangle at first. Pulling away or stacking wasn't a viable option at the moment so I used my free are and snaked it through one side to make some space. I'm still learning though.

Good technique all around.

Just one question...I notice that you were tugging at the other guy's gi a lot. Were you trying to choke him or was it just grip for a more dominant position?

Later.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura