Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Grandmaster Wei Video

6hmantis Guest

Rare Grandmaster Wei Video

Found a cool Grandmaster Wei video at www.prayingmantiskungfu.com Hi sheepbreader Love ya ;)

8stepmantis Guest

video

video looks ok but what does it mean??? All you have is a video. Do you have a picture of Lin with Wei? That I would like to see. I am not trying to start anything. The website looks really nice but what forms or sets do you show besides Wei showing stances. I hope you and your students all the best. Remember, by mocking each other only makes the system harder to believe. It is really stupid that we have to be this way. If you have an opinion, it should be to incourage not to discourage. I can tell you this, in about 10 years this crap will all die out. Again, is you study under Sun then do so. If you study under Lin then do so. And who system is correct?? Who cares just enjoy and study not mock. We are all a reason to study this system and it is not to argue about who has a better system when they are both the same but tought under a different Sifu. Learn and enjoy.

8stepsifu Guest
    luv you too, thanx a lot for the video...It was tre kick ass. Amazing....Master Sun moves just like him. Post more of this stuff on your site, more Master Wei.

I've never seen him in action before....he hesitates a few times, it looks like he's making it up off the top of his head, but it is still very cool.
    King of the Dinosaurs

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 04-10-01 at 09:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 04-10-01 at 09:20 PM.]

xygie Guest
    8stepmantis: We agree...Although, A lot of people would feel a little more "encouraged" if James Sun, cc. Mike Cimino, and Attorney Steven Fox drop the Registered Trademark Infringement B.S. which is what STARTED THIS WHOLE WAR. After all, it is not uncommon for relationships to become strained in leu of the threat of a pending law suite.

There is no intention to comply with Sun's demands anyway...

If he procedes with legal action, his "right" to use the trademark will be federally challanged; And, there are alot of people willing to get involved.

As far as the video clip is concerned, it represents only a small part of original 8mm film footage of Grandmaster Wei which compliments recorded written material and photo's.

PS Master Lin is pictured as Grandmaster Wei's Senior Disciple in one of Wei's books...Master Lin also wrote the foward to the book.

Stay tuned...I understand there will be more photo's of Master Lin and Grandmaster Wei to come... :)

8stepsifu Guest
    sweet.

Some neighborly warning, if you don't comply you'll have a gaping hole in your wallet. Nobody thinks its bad that your learning from Lin Chin Fu, nobody is dissing Lin Chin Fu, but if you use the name, your in for something a lot more pricey than a federation dues.

Just call it something else and your golden. Styles branch off all the time.

I am curious about something though. You grilled and charged us for proof of Master Sun's Discipleship and Sole Inheritor of the System, now you have hooked up with Lin Chin Fu. Great, have you demanded his papers? His document signed by Master Wei? Have you seen the book that Chiang Hua Long wrote? Every generation grandmaster since him has had one, so if Lin Chin Fu is the Grandmaster, he'll have it. If he does then great, your gamble paid off, but if not get what you can and hope for the best.

Its sadly ironic that you didn't want to pay federation dues and tried to cheat the system and now if you don't take down all 8 Step banners and stop using the name, you'll have to pay far more.

Just call it someting else, Copywrite law is pretty cut and dry. Your "Lawyer" 6hmantis can tell you all about it. I can't open up a burger joint called Mcdonalds just because I learned how to make burgers there. If I did, I'd get the pants sued off of me. If I did have a mcdonalds and stopped paying franchise fees, I'd also lose everything.

Do what you feel is right, but don't do something that you may regret in the future.

PS, keep the Master Wei stuff coming :)

King of the Dinosaurs

tanglangman Guest
    I couldn't download the video clip. My media player wouldn't recognis(z)e the file type. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Watchman Guest
    It's done in Quick Time format. You can download it for free here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

beiquan Guest
    that's really cool. i've never seen 8 step mantis performed before. the stepping looks different than the other styles of mantis i've seen (i've studied a little 7 star), it almost reminds me of xing yi stepping the way the back foot is brought in. is the stepping an unique characteristic of the style?

thanks for the link...

xygie Guest
    In this video clip, 8 Step Praying Mantis Kung Fu Grandmaster Wei Xiao Tang, in his 70's when this was filmed in Taiwan, is performing five of eight moving steps.

The applications of the stepping patterns in 8 Step are crucial in the understanding of the system...So much so, that the system was named after them; And, they are traditionally integrated in training right from the start.

Many thanks to Master Lin Chun Fu for making this video clip available for public viewing.

on-jer Guest

8stepsifu-"He Hesitates a few time..."

Master Wei is not, "making this up...". He is 78 or 79 in this film. I hope to move like that at that age. He was not entirely comfortable on camera.
    This clip is a short segment of a much longer 8mm film I got got from my teacher, which sat in a box for many years. I had it recorded to VHS than on to digital.

The film shows many of the "Moving Steps" and a couple of the Small Box forms. It also shows students practicing the Le Pe and Po On two-man-forms.

argentino Guest

Please contact me

I would be interested in getting a copy. Please contact me

mantisking@hotmail.com

Best regards

http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave

8stepsifu Guest
    Did Su Yu Tsang make the videotape? Cuz Master Sun said that he was the only one with a camera at that time.

On Jer- My mistake, he wasn't making it up, he just goofed it a little. Anyways, Master Sun took a look at it and said that it was a series of public long forms and a couple of the steps added in. He said the steps were out of fighting context, but was glad to see his footage of his teacher. He called the walking push, "Mosquito stepping" The rest of the long forms I know, but it was still very cool to see Master Wei doing them.

Before I wanted to emulate Master Sun, but was unsure if copying every little thing would suit my body type or if it was a matter of finding your own way after so much practice. After seeing 2 8 step masters in motion I can see that they both move the same way and I have a better idea of what I'm shooting for in my day to day practice.

El Argentino- I would really like a tape, btw...do you have any footage of other mantis masters? If so I would also like to see those

don't worry be happy

handsome Guest
    There are only one true southern tonglong -- that's CHU GAR.

8stepsifu Guest
    handsome...where the heck did that come from?

well I guess I'll chalk it up to trivia...not to self, Chu Gar is the only real Southern Mantis.

don't worry be happy

baji-fist Guest

the site is not working

I tired checking out the site, but I am coming up with a blank page. Can anybody help me out?

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.