Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "training" misconception

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I suspect that this forum is full of this "problem".

I have also heard of Western "sifus" who go to the far east and "train" for a few weeks with some credible sifus or masters, then they pay them to have their pictures taken with them and then go back to their countries with "enhanced" resumès.
    the worst problem is guys who study about 2 years and yet think they know everything, you know the infamous "2 year grandmasters"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Sheesh, if I'm too "let it go", so must you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I suspect that this forum is full of this "problem".

I have also heard of Western "sifus" who go to the far east and "train" for a few weeks with some credible sifus or masters, then they pay them to have their pictures taken with them and then go back to their countries with "enhanced" resumès.
    That sounds like my former teacher.He went to china for a couple of weeks,learned a couple of forms/apps.If you go to his website he states that he "trained" with these legit sifus.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the worst problem is guys who study about 2 years and yet think they know everything, you know the infamous "2 year grandmasters"
    He also did that as well.Over a 2 year period a well known mantis sifu comes to the school and teaches some seminars and POOF!!......he wishes to be addressed as "sifu" and a gold sash appears around his waist.To this day he is still using this sifu's name to make himself legit.

Does this now mean that there will be Bagua & Shuai Jiao instruction on tht side of the metroplex?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think you took my "rule" out of context.
    not at all really... lets have a closer look, shall we?
    rule number one as stated in your sig... 1- Anyone not willing to identify themselves and their current/past teachers should be treated like the Troll that they are and then in this post you justify your rule with this...
    Its' not about WHO you trained with, because, to a very large extent that is irrelevant because its not THEM that do the fighting for you, its about NOT being honest and straight forward about it and about keeping it a "secret".
    rule number two... 2- It doesn't matter what someone in your MA has done or even is doing, all that matters is what YOU can do, and again, your own words...
    I don't care if your teacher was a pinball machine, not unless you start making "lineage" claims or "my teacher did this" claims.
    Fact is, no one cares about lineage until YOU make it an issue.
    it seems you are implying that you, infact, do care who someone has trained with, eh? i highlighted the important context of your words.
    Why would you do that?
    where in all of creation does it say to reveal anything to anyone?
    What do you have to hide?
    its not really a matter of hiding, its a matter of sharing... do you share everything with strangers? the point i am attempting to make is a simple one... by keeping some things to yourself, it's harder for others to gauge you, label you, or measure up to you, of course everyone likes to scream TROLL!!, TROLL!! but that is just another lame excuse and politically correct version of childish name calling when people can't have things their way... boo-hoo, please pass the tissues.

but to be a fair sport, since you don't really care who anyone trains with or from where they have gleaned their understanding, i will answer simply this... nature is my teacher, of course this includes people, animals, ideas, concepts, astrology, celestial mechanics, observation, weather, life experience, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    not at all really... lets have a closer look, shall we?
    rule number one as stated in your sig... 1- Anyone not willing to identify themselves and their current/past teachers should be treated like the Troll that they are and then in this post you justify your rule with this...
    rule number two... 2- It doesn't matter what someone in your MA has done or even is doing, all that matters is what YOU can do, and again, your own words...it seems you are implying that you, infact, do care who someone has trained with, eh? i highlighted the important context of your words.
    where in all of creation does it say to reveal anything to anyone?
    its not really a matter of hiding, its a matter of sharing... do you share everything with strangers? the point i am attempting to make is a simple one... by keeping some things to yourself, it's harder for others to gauge you, label you, or measure up to you, of course everyone likes to scream TROLL!!, TROLL!! but that is just another lame excuse and politically correct version of childish name calling when people can't have things their way... boo-hoo, please pass the tissues.

but to be a fair sport, since you don't really care who anyone trains with or from where they have gleaned their understanding, i will answer simply this... nature is my teacher, of course this includes people, animals, ideas, concepts, astrology, celestial mechanics, observation, weather, life experience, and so forth.
    OK, lets see if I can make it more clear.
    Since it really doesn't matter who we trained with, unless of course it is an issue of discussion, why would anyone have an issue with saying who they trained with?
    Even more so if a person is basing his view on the views of WHO trained him.
    I say that someone is a troll ( in the internet forum vocabulary) because they are not willing to give out that info because there is no reason NOT to unless you are hiding something, that;'s not to hard to understand is it?
    Now, since this is a forum and we don't know and can't see what other people can or can't do ( typically) it does matter what their MA background is, to an extent.
    In the end what we do is far more important than what our teachers/master/ coaches can do, so it is best to focus on that than on what other can do, nevertheless, unless you are speaking totally based on ONLY YOUR experiences and knowledge, some sort of acknolegment of "where you are coming from" is needed and certainly won't "kill you".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Luk Hop View Post
    Does this now mean that there will be Bagua & Shuai Jiao instruction on tht side of the metroplex?
    LOL...It's funny because its true.Yes Cottrell will master Bagua & Shaui Jiao overnight and teach it.Just like he mastered "combat" taji,luihe mantis,tongbei,"drunken"(systema) groundfighting all in the last couple years.Without a teacher to train him...AMAZING!!!