Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "training" misconception

"training" misconception

"I trained with sifu_____"(fill in the blank).My former instructor loves to throw this line around.More than likely he just went to a seminar and picked up a form.My problem is that he'll post this on his forum,website or tell this to a new student in order to promote himself.If I say that I "trained" with ___,you would assume that I spent quality time learning from this person.Therefore you would think that I'm a qualified instructor(PAY ME!!)I think many people are fooled by this.Has anyone run into this problem?
    Last edited by notanexit; 02-16-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I see this alot with some of the local Shaolin Kempo instructors who feel the need for legitimacy. I have never seen it done by traditional Sifus.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Here we go again...get a life dude.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

What would you consider "trained with". How long would one have to train for it to count
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by notanexit View Post
    "I trained with sifu_____"(fill in the blank).My former instructor loves to throw this line around.More than likely he just went to a seminar and picked up a form.My problem is that he'll post this on his forum,website or tell this to a new student in order to promote himself.If I say that I "trained" with ___,you would assume that I spent quality time learning from this person.Therefore you would think that I'm a qualified instructor(PAY ME!!)I think many people are fooled by this.Has anyone run into this problem?
    to take the thought further, the reason many martial artists on these forums feel the need to first establish who everyone trains with or have trained with, is simply a way of measuring themselves up with a preconcieved bias stemming from a variety of factors within ones life experience... take for instance sanjuro ronin and the first rule of his internet martial arts rules <insert rolled eyes here>:
    1- Anyone not willing to identify themselves and their current/past teachers should be treated like the Troll that they are.
    now i don't know about you, but i believe that the better martial artists throughout history have remained so because they shared very little about their practice. a respectful martial artist will simply acknowledge that another one practices, perhaps to the extent of sharing techniques, but once the divisive nature of extreme yang alpha males comes into play, there is usually a spark(clash), as only opposites attract... better to remain neutral where one is free to assume positive or negative at will, depending on the situational contexts, thus being unaffected from most everything in general. perhaps this is where we get the the old saying, he who cares for no one in particular, cares for everyone in general...

a lot of the time, it's filler - meaning that, in general, the public doesn't really care who you studied with, because unless it's Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee, they won't recognize the name in general; so it's just a way of padding out what the public reads; if it's legit., that's fine, but most won't know or even care; and for experienced MA folks, you can usually sniff out the seminar-who@rs pretty easily; personally, I will always qualify if I took a one-time seminar with, who I studied briefly (less than one year) with or studied significantly with (5 yrs. or more);

on the flip side then, it's to gain legitimacy amongst one's "peers", for reasons good or otherwise; personally, I have no problem stating with whom I studied if asked, but this, to me, simply establishes context: it doesn't mean necessarily that I am any good, but it gives an idea out of what ground my information springs; it also helps establish relationships with people I may not know: if my sifu and their sifu were good friends, e.g., it sets up an initial positive context; or sometimes you bump into peeps who studied w/someone you studied with at different times; as such, I don't think it is a big deal to let others know one's lineage, especially in this day and age; but whatever, if one doesn't want to be public about it, that's one's prerogative, and if you know your stuff anyway, who cares; I guess that for me the "problem" arises when you are secretive and spew BS: red flag;

I have seen this on a local website. One schools Master lists all these names on a resume of who he has trained with. Training with and taking a seminar from are two different things and I don't personally believe that you should use that phrase if you have only taken a seminar from someone. When you say "I trained with ...." it makes it sound like you actually spent some time with that instructor in his school. Real training is not just spending 2-3 hours learning a form. You need to understand the applications contained in the form and some of the training drills associated with movements in the form to really get it down. Most seminars don't really do this in that amount of time.

My teachers are low-key and would be annoyed if they found out I was yakking about them on a public forum.

Besides which, if I say something asnine, I don't want it to be reflecting badly on *them*.

I learned everything I know from video tapes, so I just list the guys who did the tape as my teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Here we go again...get a life dude.
    What do you mean?Please elaborate
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    What would you consider "trained with". How long would one have to train for it to count
    That's what I'm trying to understand.If you teach me a front kick,can I tell everyone I trained with you in order to gain students?
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    a lot of the time, it's filler - meaning that, in general, the public doesn't really care who you studied with, because unless it's Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee, they won't recognize the name in general; so it's just a way of padding out what the public reads; if it's legit., that's fine, but most won't know or even care; and for experienced MA folks, you can usually sniff out the seminar-who@rs pretty easily; personally, I will always qualify if I took a one-time seminar with, who I studied briefly (less than one year) with or studied significantly with (5 yrs. or more);

on the flip side then, it's to gain legitimacy amongst one's "peers", for reasons good or otherwise; personally, I have no problem stating with whom I studied if asked, but this, to me, simply establishes context: it doesn't mean necessarily that I am any good, but it gives an idea out of what ground my information springs; it also helps establish relationships with people I may not know: if my sifu and their sifu were good friends, e.g., it sets up an initial positive context; or sometimes you bump into peeps who studied w/someone you studied with at different times; as such, I don't think it is a big deal to let others know one's lineage, especially in this day and age; but whatever, if one doesn't want to be public about it, that's one's prerogative, and if you know your stuff anyway, who cares; I guess that for me the "problem" arises when you are secretive and spew BS: red flag;
    Exactly my point,my former teacher has a reputation for being secretive,and spews a lot of bs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I learned everything I know from video tapes, so I just list the guys who did the tape as my teachers.
    My former teacher does the same thing.Except you're man enough to admit it.While he pretends like he always knew it.

Two spaces after a period.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    to take the thought further, the reason many martial artists on these forums feel the need to first establish who everyone trains with or have trained with, is simply a way of measuring themselves up with a preconcieved bias stemming from a variety of factors within ones life experience... take for instance sanjuro ronin and the first rule of his internet martial arts rules <insert rolled eyes here>:
    now i don't know about you, but i believe that the better martial artists throughout history have remained so because they shared very little about their practice. a respectful martial artist will simply acknowledge that another one practices, perhaps to the extent of sharing techniques, but once the divisive nature of extreme yang alpha males comes into play, there is usually a spark(clash), as only opposites attract... better to remain neutral where one is free to assume positive or negative at will, depending on the situational contexts, thus being unaffected from most everything in general. perhaps this is where we get the the old saying, he who cares for no one in particular, cares for everyone in general...
    I think you took my "rule" out of context.
    Its' not about WHO you trained with, because, to a very large extent that is irrelevant because its not THEM that do the fighting for you, its about NOT being honest and straight forward about it and about keeping it a "secret".
    Why would you do that?
    What do you h ave to hide?
    I don't care if your teacher was a pinball machine, not unless you start making "lineage" claims or "my teacher did this" claims.
    Fact is, no one cares about lineage until YOU make it an issue.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Two spaces after a period.
    Actually, only one space after a period. Two spaces is antiquated. Modern fonts compensate and add extra space to avoid crowding (unless you still write on a type writer).

I suspect that this forum is full of this "problem".

I have also heard of Western "sifus" who go to the far east and "train" for a few weeks with some credible sifus or masters, then they pay them to have their pictures taken with them and then go back to their countries with "enhanced" resumès.

If the general public didn't base their choice of school/instructor on name brand masters the need to embellish might drop a few notches.

How many students will flock to your door if you list your teacher as a no-name American guy that nobody ever heard about. But say you trained in China or with a little old chinese master (preferably someone with a big spread in one of the trade magazines, reprint posted on the wall and all) or in Brazil or with a Gracie and you can charge top dollar.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.