Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    NYT has been running a full-page ad saying this is back for a limited release. It's the Oscar push.
    PLEASE don't let the Grandmaster win an Oscar. If that happens I'll have to spend the next decade explaining why I disliked the only Oscar winning kung fu film since CTHD.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'm overjoyed whenever any martial arts flick gets an Oscar nod

Right now, the martial arts genre is really ebbing. We've had very few theatrical releases here in the U.S. that could be defined as martial arts flicks and the rom-coms have taken over China. Unless there's some box-office draw or some film awards, we will see a decline in production of A-grade martial arts movies (there will always be B-grades...always).

Meanwhile, I thought this was amusing. I've always had issues with Z because her movie roles have elevated her to one of the most recognizable martial arts stars. However, beyond her movie roles, she didn't train in the martial arts. That kind of martial nibbling has a cost.
    Zhang Ziyi quits martial arts movies
    Chinese actress ZHANG ZIYI is turning her back on martial arts movies as she is still suffering from injuries she received on the set of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.
    Published: Mon, January 13, 2014

Ziyi shot to international fame with her role in the hit 2000 movie but she was left battered and bruised after shooting its hard-hitting combat scenes.

She has just wrapped filming on new martial arts movie The Grandmaster, but the lengthy three-year shoot has convinced Ziyi that her days as a deadly onscreen fighter are over.

She tells Hello!, "I don't believe there's another role that can surpass this. And I've had so many injuries from a long time ago during Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when I injured my neck. Those old injuries really bother me and after three years of this one, my body cannot take it any more. So I think this is a pretty good finale."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Right now, the martial arts genre is really ebbing. We've had very few theatrical releases here in the U.S. that could be defined as martial arts flicks and the rom-coms have taken over China. Unless there's some box-office draw or some film awards, we will see a decline in production of A-grade martial arts movies (there will always be B-grades...always).
    I think it's difficult to create a modern compelling story around MA. Like you, I'd like to see more time invested in quality MA movies, but I'm partially with Simon on this one - I mean, it's a good, well-produced movie, but I didn't find that it was especially exceptional in any way.

Meanwhile, I thought this was amusing. I've always had issues with Z because her movie roles have elevated her to one of the most recognizable martial arts stars. However, beyond her movie roles, she didn't train in the martial arts. That kind of martial nibbling has a cost.
    Fair enough.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Is this out on blu-ray yet?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

IMO, the MA genre never really recovered from the collapse of the HK film industry. Sure, there have been starts here and there...post-CTHD wuxia films, the Ip Man/WC movies...but it'll never have a prominence (among Chinese films) like it had.

Romantic movies (serious and comedy, Chinese or foreign) have almost always been more popular among many Chinese audiences, at least to my observation. And whenever the MA genre rises and falls again, romantic comedy films always seem to take over. Thankfully, the Chinese romantic movies aren't more prominent than the kung fu movies internationally.

rom-coms are the yin to kung fu movie yang

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think it's difficult to create a modern compelling story around MA.
    I disagree. Both Life of Pi and All is Lost (probably) got Oscar nods and they were both about someone stuck on a boat. I think the problem is that martial arts films are too stuck in their own stereotypes. There's the basic revenge flick, the fighting-against-your-will-in-an-underground-tournament flick, the training with a kooky master flick, the rogue agent flick, and maybe a few other, but not much thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is this out on blu-ray yet?
    I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    IMO, the MA genre never really recovered from the collapse of the HK film industry.
    Well sure. That's like saying disco never really recovered from the break up of the Bee Gees. I mean, it was different times. Those classic Shaw Brothers flicks are so dear to my heart, but they are locked in time and don't hold up to the scrutiny of today's audiences, at least not on the big screen, not like before. But there is a trend towards successful VOD now with martial arts flicks. The market has changed with the window. I think that's what Well Go USA president Doris Pfardrescher was getting at in my recent interview with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thankfully, the Chinese romantic movies aren't more prominent than the kung fu movies internationally.
    Doris touched on this too. It's still all about kung fu flicks when it comes to China and the international market. Which is in part why The Grandmasters is an important film. The arty crowd loved it. For fans of the genre like us, we're pretty happy as long as there are some decent fights. But for the general public, there have to be other factors to make it appealing. Whenever we get a potential cross-over, I salute that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even if I hadn't liked it (which I did), I would still be pulling for it to win an Oscar. I have some doubts that it will, but if it at least gets a nomination, that could give the genre a much-needed boost.

Two nominations

But it didn't make Foreign film.

Nominees

Cinematography

The Grandmaster
    Philippe Le Sourd

Gravity
    Emmanuel Lubezki

Inside Llewyn Davis
    Bruno Delbonnel

Nebraska
    Phedon Papamichael

Prisoners
    Roger A. Deakins

Costume Design

American Hustle
    Michael Wilkinson

The Grandmaster
    William Chang Suk Ping

The Great Gatsby
    Catherine Martin

The Invisible Woman
    Michael O'Connor

12 Years a Slave
    Patricia Norris
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

But it didn't make Foreign film.
    I'm ok with the cinematography one. That's the one place that the Grandmaster actually delivered. I found it a painfully disjointed hot mess of a movie plot-wise. And the character development seemed forced; but it sure looked good doing it.
    Simon McNeil

Wing Chun vs Ba Gua.

Great.

Zhang is getting old and so are we.

Leung is way older then Zhang.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li are old.

Where is the new face or new blood for Kung Fu flicks ?

That is.

No Oscars for the Grandmaster

I don't think there were even any Chinese in the house. Were there?

As the theme was 'heroes' there were some nods to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Po. Also, in the obituary section, Sir Run Run Shaw, Tom Laughlin and Jim Kelly were honored.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I disagree. Both Life of Pi and All is Lost (probably) got Oscar nods and they were both about someone stuck on a boat. I think the problem is that martial arts films are too stuck in their own stereotypes. There's the basic revenge flick, the fighting-against-your-will-in-an-underground-tournament flick, the training with a kooky master flick, the rogue agent flick, and maybe a few other, but not much thinking outside the box.
    I can only think of a few Kung Fu flicks that tried really hard to break that mold. "Pushing Hands", "Iron and Silk"

and "Kung Fu Hustle".

What about Matrix?

Perhaps that's a topic for a stand-alone thread, MightyB - films that broke the mold.

Meanwhile, back on topic here:

Grandmaster tops HK Directors' Guild Awards
    By Kevin Ma
    Fri, 07 March 2014, 09:00 AM (HKT)

The Grandmaster 一代宗師 was the star of this year's annual Hong Kong Film Directors' Guild 香港電影導演會 dinner on Wednesday night, winning four prizes.

The martial arts epic won Best Director (WONG Kar-wai 王家衛), Best Actress (ZHANG Ziyi 章子怡), Best Actor (Tony LEUNG Chiu-wai 梁朝偉) and Best Picture.

Youth comedy The Way We Dance 狂舞派 was also a big winner, picking up Best New Actor (BabyJohn CHOI 蔡瀚億) and Best New Director (Adam WONG 黃修平). Derek KWOK 郭子健 picked up a special Executive Committee Prize for his work on As the Light Goes Out 救火英雄.

Votes from the Hong Kong Film Directors' Guild hold a 25% weight in three categories of the Hong Kong Film Awards 香港電影金 — Best Director, Best New Director and Best Visual Effects – and 20% in other categories (except for Best Film and Best Film from Mainland and Taiwan, in which each vote is weighted equally).

As a result, The Grandmaster's win on Wednesday can be seen an early indicator for this year's Hong Kong Film Awards.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just watched "The GrandMaster" for the first time, missed seeing it on the big screen. 5 Stars !!!!! A work of Art !