Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grandmaster

The Grandmaster

We've discussed this a little on the Ip Man starring Donnie Yen thread, but now that it's out, this needs it's own stand alone thread. I was thinking of pulling posts over, but that's just too much work.

Gong Li to be female lead in Wong Kar Wai's "The Grand Master"
    Xin.sg - Thursday, February 12

Ip Chun, son of Wing Chun's grandmaster Ip Man, said, Wong Kar Wai's version of movie "Ip Man" will start its shooting in June this year and Gong Li may be the female lead of the movie instead of Brigitte Lin. However, Gong will not be acting as Ip Man's wife but a female master of another form of martial art from Foshan.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In Wong's version of the movie, titled "The Grand Master", Ip Man's wife will not be featured. If this is true, Lin, who was initially rumored to be taking on the role, will not be making appearance. However, Ip Chun was caution with his words during the interview and said that Wong has not finalized his script and Gong's role has yet to be confirmed.

Ip Chun expressed regret that Donnie Yen's version of "Ip Man" was not filmed in Foshan; he also said he will attempt to get Wong to film "The Grand Master" in Foshan so as to drive tourism to the area.

Ip thus invited Wong to Foshan to experience their rich martial arts culture and for research purposes.

Male lead of "The Grand Master" Tony Leung verified in an interview with Hong Kong media that the film will be shot in June. "My current task is to be practicing Wing Chun diligently," he said.

With respect to the comparison between Yen and himself, Leung was humble and said that his skills cannot be compared to Yen. "I believe that Wilson Yip and Wong Kar Wai's versions will be very different as they have different strengths and skills in moviemaking," Leung said
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This project gets more interesting...

Maybe I should pull those other posts over...
    Retired Actress Returns to Martial-Arts Film
    2009-05-19 16:28:56 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Actress Brigitte Lin, who retired in 1994 after playing many impressive roles, is set to make a comeback in a new biopic about martial-arts master Yip Man.

Lin has signed on to star in director Wong Kar-Wai's "The Great Master", Chinese media cited Yip Man's son, Yip Chun, as saying.

"The Great Master" is another film about Yip Man (1893-1972), a master of the Wing Chun style of martial arts and mentor to Bruce Lee. A previous biopic on the martial-arts master, "Ip Man", won the Best Film award at this year's Hong Kong Film Awards.

Known to audiences for her transgender roles in martial-arts movies, Brigitte Lin is likely to play a female kung-fu master this time, although her exact role is yet to be confirmed.

Born in Taiwan in 1954, Lin had been a frequent face in Hong Kong films. She had starred in more than 100 movies over 21 years.

In 1994, Lin married businessman Michael Ying and announced her retirement soon after.

Lin's best-known characters include Dong Fang Bu Bai in Stanley Tong and Siu-Tung Ching's cooperation "Swordsman II" (1991), and Mu-Rong Yin in Wong Kar-Wai's "Ashes of Time" (1994).

Last year, Lin made a rare public appearance in New York, promoting a re-edited version of "Ashes of Time". She told reporters that many of her friends, including Wong Kar-Wai, had been persuading her to return. She said she was waiting for a good play.

The Yip Man biopic is not going to be the sole project on Lin's agenda. Rumors suggest that director Tsui Hark has invited Lin to star in his action thriller "Di Renjie". Tsui Hark is also planning a biopic about Lin herself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gong li may be 43, but she is beautiful. why do chinese always need to redo movies that jsut come out. this isnt the first time i have seen it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    gong li may be 43, but she is beautiful. why do chinese always need to redo movies that jsut come out. this isnt the first time i have seen it done.
    actually its not being redone, wong kar wai has been talking about a yip man film for over ten years. but after yip/yens film he kicked it into high gear.

and parallel films are far from limited to Chinese cinema

Remember 1997 when Volcano and Dante's Peak came out at the same time? I had a buddy working on one of those films and he said half way through, half the production team went over to the other project. What about 1998 when both A Bug's Life and Antz hit the screens? Those were just blatant examples but it happens often in Hollywood too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well as far as bio pics go. they are literally four different films about pablo escobar currently in production.

**** dudes. i enver thought about it like that. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Yeah I think Wyatt Earp and Tombstone came out around the same time. Nobody could match Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday.

bad break

That's gotta suck for the kung fu instructor who kicked him. He probably won't work in film again for a while...
    Tony Leung breaks arm in training for kung fu film
    By MIN LEE – 6 hours ago

BEIJING (AP) — Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai broke his left arm while sparring with martial arts instructors as he prepared to portray Bruce Lee's kung fu master in a Wong Kar-wai movie, a publicist said Tuesday.

One of the kung fu instructors kicked Leung during a practice session on Monday, breaking a bone in his left forearm, Agnes Leung, a publicist at Wong's production house Jettone Films, told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

Leung must rest his arm for several weeks but can continue to train on his kicks, she said.

Wong's movie about Ip Man, who trained Lee for five years when he was a teenager, was tentatively scheduled to start shooting in September but might be delayed depending on Leung's recovery, she said.

Wong's biopic will be the second about Ip in recent years. Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen played Ip in a 2008 Wilson Yip film named for the pioneering martial arts master.

Wong's version is being closely watched because it marks a rare departure by the Cannes-winning director from the art-house fare for which he is best known.

The director's most recent film and his English-language debut, "My Blueberry Nights," starred singer Norah Jones, Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, Natalie Portman and David Strathairn.

Leung is known for playing subdued characters like the melancholy writer who had a love affair with a married woman in Wong's "In the Mood for Love." That performance won him best actor honors at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000. He most recently starred in John Woo's two-part Chinese historical epic "Red Cliff."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just read this over on wenn news...but they say its the other tony lueng, and not the one who is playing ip man. but one who is supposedly playing bruce lee. interesting

An update

Not very informative but it made the AP...
    Leung: Wong Kar-Wai's Kung Fu Biopic Action-Packed
    By MIN LEE AP Entertainment Writer
    HONG KONG February 2, 2010 (AP)
    The Associated Press

Hong Kong art-house filmmaker Wong Kar-wai is known for his slow, moody dramas, so when he announced his next project would be a kung fu flick, some were worried it would be more tears and talking than fists of fury.

But the film's star, Cannes-winning actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, admitted Tuesday that when filming of "The Grand Master" started, the action was so fast-paced that he "almost couldn't hang in there."

"This is a genuine kung fu movie," Leung said at a news conference, adding "there really will be many action scenes."

Leung is starring as the late Ip Man, a pioneer in promoting the wing chun style of kung fu who coached Bruce Lee in his teenage years. Wong's biopic is the second similar movie in recent years. Hong Kong director Wilson Yip's "Ip Man" was a hit in 2008, starring Donnie Yen.

Leung, however, promised it would be a very different take on the martial arts master.

It's guaranteed to be a sharp change in genre for Wong, whose films have drawn Hollywood admirers like Nicole Kidman and Sofia Coppola. His credits include "As Tears Go By," "Chungking Express," "Happy Together" and "In the Mood for Love." "Happy Together" won him best director at the Cannes Film Festival in 1997.

His most recent film was the 2007 English-language release "My Blueberry Nights." Wong's English debut marked singer Norah Jones' first movie and drew an ensemble cast featuring Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, David Strathairn and Natalie Portman.

"The Grand Master" is now shooting in China with a cast that also includes Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi and South Korean Song Hye-kyo.

Leung won best actor at Cannes in 2000 for playing a newspaper editor who has an affair with a married woman in "In the Mood for Love."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back to the other Ip Man movie

Doesn't IP MAN 2 open in a month or so? The Grand Master is going to have to knock one out of the ballpark to come out of Donnie's shadow now.

Tony Leung's surgery causes further delays in 'Grand Master'
    Posted: 25 February 2010 1143 hrs

HONG KONG: Hong Kong actor Tony Leung is preparing to undergo surgery after doctors found that his old arm injury was not healing properly.

The 47-year-old actor broke a bone in his left arm in an accident during a martial arts practice session for martial arts film "The Grand Master" in July last year.

Leung's surgery will delay shooting of "The Grand Master" yet again.

"The Grand Master", Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai's film about Bruce Lee's martial arts teacher Ip Man, has been beset by a whole host of complications since its inception in 2002.

In 2004, Leung, who plays Ip Man, was slated to begin martial arts training for his role in the film. However, Leung suffered a ski injury and had to rest for six months, causing filming for "The Grand Master" to be pushed back.

In 2006, Wong became busy with "My Blueberry Nights" while Leung had no time to do "The Grand Master" as he was involved in "Lust, Caution" and "Red Cliff", leading to further delays.

Over the past few months, Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi, who plays the female lead in the film, became embroiled in a number of high-profile scandals. This forced the production team to spend time adjusting Zhang's involvement in the film.

After finally getting a permit from the provincial government to shoot in Guangdong, China, filming was recently delayed again by exceptionally bad weather.

Plagued by mishaps and delays, Wong was beaten to the punch by Hong Kong producer Raymond Wong, who released the similarly themed film "Ip Man" in 2008. Following the box office success of the first film, the sequel "Ip Man 2" will be released later this year, while Wong continues to struggle to complete "The Grand Master".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sin The' is gonna sue them for taking his movie title!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

My Blueberry Nights? really? From that to a yip man flick?

Was my blueberry nights a straight to 8 track release or something?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I just saw this on Cung Le's facebook.

Off one of Cung's fb pages:
    Spending the next 3 days with my family before I leave to China to film Grandmaster with director Wong Kar Wai and action director Woo-ping. Already miss them.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips