Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sin The' is gonna sue them for taking his movie title!
    no one wants to see a movie about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

First look

Posters of The Grandmasters released
    CRI, November 1, 2010

Zhang Ziyi in "The Grandmasters" [Photo: Sohu.com]

The producers of Wong Kar-Wai's martial-arts film The Grandmasters (Yi Dai Zong Shi) have released two posters of the film featuring lead actors Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, Sohu.com reports.

Leung plays Yip Man in Wong's take on this master of the martial art of Wing Chun, who is better known as Bruce Lee's mentor. Yip Man's story has been popularized in recent years in several other biopics, the most famous being Wilson Yip's Ip Man series starring Donnie Yen.

Unlike Yen who himself is a trained martial artist, Leung had to learn Wing Chun from scratch, according to Sohu.com. But what moviegoers will see in The Grandmasters is a Leung who imparts the essence of Wing Chun, said Yuen Woo-Ping, the film's action choreographer who was the stunt advisor of the Kill Bill series.

Another poster shows Zhang Ziyi in a kung fu position, although her character is still under wraps.

Both Zhang and Leung have sustained injuries during the filming with Zhang's injury forcing her withdrawal from the film Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Information about the release date of The Grandmasters was not included on the posters.

"The Grandmasters" poster featuring Tony Leung [Photo: Sohu.com]

I exchanged a few emails with Cung. He was excited to be working with Woo Ping...again! I'll see him this weekend at Born to Fight.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

having tony leung, zhang ziyi, wong kar wai, and yeun woo ping all attached to this film gives it great cross over appeal, these are name that the foreign press knows. and zhang ziyi and yeun woo ping are known names here in america, tony leung as well but by an older generation. so we might actually see this get a nice release here.

Tony Leung's stunt double is an Aussie from Melbourne! :-D

http://www.ultimatemartialarts.com.a...ony-Leung.aspx

I used to train with Sifu Henry Araneda in Melbourne for Hung Gar.
    He also teaches Duncan Leung style of Wing Chun in Melbourne.

It's common knowledge the Bruce Lee was introduced to Yip Man by William Cheung and was instrumental with Bruce's WC development as was WSL.
    In this article by Wong Shun Leung http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm
    Wong says that "...Chang (Cheung) brought in an Elvis like youngster..." to Yip Man's school. In the 2nd Ip Man movie William Cheung, who introduced Bruce Lee to Yip Man, was not mentioned because of WC politics. They just show a little Bruce Lee walk into Yip Man's room. Yeah, I know it's not a documentary but only a movie. Rant over.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

And Bruce Lee bought Duncan Leung to Yip Man. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    And Bruce Lee bought Duncan Leung to Yip Man. :-D
    Duncan was my Sifu so I know a little about what happened. It was after William Cheung had a fight with some sailors on a ship from HK to OZ that made Duncan want to learn WC.http://members.tripod.com/wing_chun/
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    It's common knowledge the Bruce Lee was introduced to Yip Man by William Cheung and was instrumental with Bruce's WC development as was WSL.
    In this article by Wong Shun Leung http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm
    Wong says that "...Chang (Cheung) brought in an Elvis like youngster..." to Yip Man's school. In the 2nd Ip Man movie William Cheung, who introduced Bruce Lee to Yip Man, was not mentioned because of WC politics. They just show a little Bruce Lee walk into Yip Man's room. Yeah, I know it's not a documentary but only a movie. Rant over.
    Common Knowledge yes, but people still will refute it. I have argued with others previously as they beleive the article refers to Sifu Hawkins Cheung.

Quote Originally Posted by Niersun View Post
    Common Knowledge yes, but people still will refute it. I have argued with others previously as they beleive the article refers to Sifu Hawkins Cheung.
    Then they don't know their history. It's also common knowledge that William Cheung's father was a high HK Police official as it says in the WSL article. Hawkin's dad wasn't a high Police Official.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Duncan was my Sifu so I know a little about what happened. It was after William Cheung had a fight with some sailors on a ship from HK to OZ that made Duncan want to learn WC.http://members.tripod.com/wing_chun/
    Hi Phil!
    I read that article long time ago. But I also read the bruce lee story on the Wing Chun Warrior book (the one about Sifu Ducan Leung - http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32483) but I'm not a Wing Chun student so what do I know?

Chapter 9 (I'm just "translating it form my Chinese editon of the book) said Burce Lee and sifu leung is childhood friend/classmate and one day in 1955 Burce told him he learnt Wing Chun, A kung fu invented by a woman and shown him Siu Lim Tau and they spared. He was punched by Burce many time and that was the 1st time Burce Lee won since they spar. And burce suggested Sifu Leung to learn together. Yip Man asked him if he know Kung Fu.
    Sifu Leung shown Yip Man his Hung Kuen. Yip Man said his stance is good and told him to bring 8 bucks and join the school.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    Hi Phil!
    I read that article long time ago. But I also read the bruce lee story on the Wing Chun Warrior book (the one about Sifu Ducan Leung - http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32483) but I'm not a Wing Chun student so what do I know?

Chapter 9 (I'm just "translating it form my Chinese editon of the book) said Burce Lee and sifu leung is childhood friend/classmate and one day in 1955 Burce told him he learnt Wing Chun, A kung fu invented by a woman and shown him Siu Lim Tau and they spared. He was punched by Burce many time and that was the 1st time Burce Lee won since they spar. And burce suggested Sifu Leung to learn together. Yip Man asked him if he know Kung Fu.
    Sifu Leung shown Yip Man his Hung Kuen. Yip Man said his stance is good and told him to bring 8 bucks and join the school.
    Wong Shun Leung is both Bruce Lee's and my Sifu's senior. So that history is whack.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I'm sorry but guess you misunderstood me.
    What I'm saying is Bruce Lee introduced Wing Chun to Sifu (Duncan) Leung. I didn't say anything about sifu Wong Shun Leung.

The story is on the Wing Chun Warrior book which sold on Sifu Duncan Leung's site.

Again, I didn't say anything bout Wong Shun Leung.

The Grand Master

First trailer looks poorly lit and monochromatic but, you never know, it could be good.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I reckon it is a bit Matrix-ish. Yuen Woo Ping, you know.
    Also, Wong Kar-Wai's movies are more abstract than the normal kung fu movies.

like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFh55NaFVLc