Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think 2 man forms suck!

I think 2 man forms suck!

This is a pet peeve of mine:

They're choreographed, teach you to miss, teach you to have bad timing, and take too long to get to the darn point!

But they are a huge hit at Christmas parties...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    This is a pet peeve of mine:

They're choreographed, teach you to miss, teach you to have bad timing, and take too long to get to the darn point!

Precisely, and yet no one seems to realize this! The real applicaitons should result in damage in 2 to 3 moves max yet to extend and make the form flow, they actually teach you to make MISTAKES!

Imagine a real braodsword vs spear set, either I impale you on move 2 or you cut my fingers off... end of set, sorry
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    When my teacher taught me the Sam Bo Ging two-man set, he had already said it was counter-productive for me at the time,as I was already beyond it. For beginners, it is one thing to teach distance, timing, reactions, but the fact of the matter is, as soon as the guy launches his strike, you should shut him down immediately, thus negating the rest of the set.
    However, it is a nice collection of different striking variations which can be extracted and used just like I said above-he strikes, you shut him down.

Two-man weapon sets teach innacuarcy. You shouldn't hear,"clack" "clack" "Clack", you should hear,"Clack-thud"-strikes aimed at the weapon holder's hand, or directly to target areas result in effective technique...but real short two-man sets!

"when using the gwun, don't expect two-sounds"
    -Wing Chun Kuen Kuit
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

wow, we all agree? SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN NOW!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

But what are we going to do at the Christmas parties?!?!
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

I have to disagree.

They are useful up to a point. Once you can do a two man form well then its time to change partners or stop practicing that form. Unless its for demos

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    I have to disagree.

They are useful up to a point. Once you can do a two man form well then its time to change partners or stop practicing that form. Unless its for demos

Paul
    What point is that?
    ------
    Jason

The point where the student has the hand eye coordination and timing to break free from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    The point where the student has the hand eye coordination and timing to break free from them.
    So 2 man forms are for training hand-eye coordination and timing?
    ------
    Jason

as well as distance, strategy, counters.....

who needs focus mitts and Thai pads when you have 2 man forms

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    who needs focus mitts and Thai pads when you have 2 man forms
    If by 2 man forms you mean 2 people beating the crap out of each other.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    from what I hear of the sup bot dim two man set-it gets very furious. Two people are going at it at a fast pace, using specific techniques from their system,plus jumping off, so it becomes random, it becomes sparring. But that set, and its method is very unique in this respect. Perhaps if this method was applied to other two man sets (empty hand) they would have more value.
    Sets in this respect are no different than a collection of diffferent drills, no different than working on any other specific drills. The difference is that the set is a textbook of the system which can be passed down.
    I guess we should also say notebooks suck, textbooks suck, instructional dvd's suck....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    from what I hear of the sup bot dim two man set-it gets very furious. Two people are going at it at a fast pace, using specific techniques from their system,plus jumping off, so it becomes random, it becomes sparring. But that set, and its method is very unique in this respect. Perhaps if this method was applied to other two man sets (empty hand) they would have more value.
    Sets in this respect are no different than a collection of diffferent drills, no different than working on any other specific drills. The difference is that the set is a textbook of the system which can be passed down.
    I guess we should also say notebooks suck, textbooks suck, instructional dvd's suck....
    Sounds like Chi Sao....but we all know Chi Sao sucks...