Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think marriage sucks

Happily married for nearly 20 years now. I have no idea what you fellas are going on about.
    If you are happy in yourself and with yourself, you will gravitate to someone who is similarly happy and confident.
    If you are both looking for someone to take care of you...then yeah, you're gonna be screwed. But if you're both looking to take care of each other mutually and truly. It's unlikely that much can go wrong.

Be honest and don't expect. Be giving and don't expect. When both people do this, sunshine!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Happily married for nearly 20 years now. I have no idea what you fellas are going on about.
    If you are happy in yourself and with yourself, you will gravitate to someone who is similarly happy and confident.
    If you are both looking for someone to take care of you...then yeah, you're gonna be screwed. But if you're both looking to take care of each other mutually and truly. It's unlikely that much can go wrong.

Be honest and don't expect. Be giving and don't expect. When both people do this, sunshine!
    I agree with this.

I think a lot of problems occur when (usually very young) people misinterpret lust as love. They are two very different things.

I also hear a lot of people (not necessarily in this forum) say they're unhappy because they need someone to complete them. IMO, they've got it bass ackwards. If you're not happy and complete within yourself, you won't be happy with anyone else; nor will anyone else be happy with you. And it's vital that she (or 'he', if you're a woman) is also self-secure. If either one, or both, are not there yet, it's going to fail.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Wow, ttt-ing this thread opened a floodgate.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Almost as bad as taking up wing chun only to realize it sucks.
    ALMOST as bad.
    s_r FTW
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

if you dont like your wife i will take her.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I made light of my marriage but I experience A LOT of crazy. Stuff that makes no **** sense.
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is stress, particularly stress(often unnecessary) over kids.

I've seen numerous examples where the wife or GF goes totally nuts, and the guy bears the brunt of it.

But are any of you digging up corpse brides?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Me too. But I do have some idea...from watching my friends' marriages tank.

Right, so getting back to hijacking this thread - ghost marriages are trending?

09:11, 3 MAR 2016 UPDATED 09:13, 3 MAR 2016
    BY RUTH HALKON

Police believe at least three dozen bodies have been stolen and sold to superstitious families wanting brides for buried bachelors

Getty
    Ghost brides: Corpses are being dug up and sold in the strange tradition

The bodies of dead women in China are being snatched from graves and sold for thousands of pounds to feed a growing demand for 'corpse brides'.

In parts of the country an ancient superstition that it is bad luck for a man to die unmarried has been seeing a resurgence.

To prevent misfortune, families are finding corpse brides for their bachelors by reinforcing female skeletons with metal wires, dressing them and burying them next to the man.

An increasing number of female bodies are being stolen from graves to be used in 'ghost marriages', leaving distraught families trying to track down their late relatives.

At least three dozen bodies have been reported stolen in the past three years in Southern Shanxi's Hongtong County, according to Lin Xu, deputy director of the county police department.

Guo Qiwen, is looking for his mother's body, which was stolen last March.

CEN
    Gang: The theft of bodies has become more common in the last three years

He said: "I have spent more than 50,000 yuan (£5,425) looking for her remains. It kills my heart not having her back."

At least three dozen bodies have been reported stolen in the past three years in Southern Shanxi's Hongtong County, according to Lin Xu, deputy director of the county police department.

The tradition, which was practised in mediaeval China, was banned by Chairman Mao when he came to power in 1949.

After the ban, peasants buried their loved ones with pictures or dummies made of paper or dough.

But as wealth has increased, the practise of using real corpses has returned to some rural areas of Shanxi Province, northern Henan Province and Shaanxi Province.

Chang Sixin, deputy director of the China Folk Literature and Art Association, said there are even matchmaking agents and companies to pair dead bachelors with the corpses of women.

But these are unable to keep up with the rising demand, and snatching bodies is very lucrative, with fresh corpse brides fetching over £11,000.

In 2011, a man was arrested for killing his wife and then trying to sell her body as a corpse bride.

Last year, three men were arrested after trying to sell bodies for more than £25,000.

Even old, decomposed bodies can be sold for over £500 according to Weird Asia News.

A man, Jing Gouzi, who bought a corpse to bury next to his single older brother told Xinhua News Agency : "I thought of using a woman made of dough, but the old men in our village insisted only real bodies could prevent misfortune."

Getty
    Theft: Distraught families have been trying to trace their stolen loved ones

According to Chinese criminal law, those who steal or defile a corpse are subject to up to three years in prison.

Corpse theft is difficult to investigate as it is hard to find evidence, Lin said.

Repeated corpse thefts have caused panic in nearby villages.

In one village, families have started to build tombs near their homes, rather than at distant mountain sites.

Some affluent families have hired people to watch their family tombs, reinforced the tombs with steel and installed CCTV cameras over graves.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Me too. But I do have some idea...from watching my friends' marriages tank
    Yeah, unfortunately I hear ya.
    We have 2 friends that are divorced, ,y sister-in-law is and just learned that another couple we know might be getting as well.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    To be honest I think that husband is abusive for posting that video. He seems like the "calm" manipulative type who likes to drive someone nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    A relationship between a Sifu and a student is no different. It should never be so comfortable that the teacher/student relationship is affected. A Sifu should never take his students for granted.
    I used to be good friends with my Sifu. We went out, we caroused together, our GF's and wives hung out, but in class, it was always, "Sifu."
    To this day, although we are no longer training together, whenever I see him, I always treat him with respect, and always call him,"Sifu."
    I agree with this statement.

I am a believer of marriage, every married couple will encounter problems and it's up to them to fix it. Divorce is not always the answer. I am proud to say that I've been married for 20 years (going 21 this year), our marriage is not perfect but we manage to get through all those obstacles and hardships. Just treat each other with respect, loyalty and trust and never take your husband/wife for granted. Just like how you treat you Sifu.

~G. We're the same age roughly.
    We got married to our wives after we had ourselves sorted for the most part.

Unlikely we got lucky, but yes, I've seen my friends marriages tank.
    I think that in most every case it was because one was too dependent on the other.

anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This thread is funny

I was going to post this in our I-will-never-understand-China thread, but as this has gained a little traction of late, I'll post this here:

Man Marries Sex Doll “Bride”
    Stephanie Keltner March 22, 2016 OMG

In China, there is one man that was so ready to get married, he didn’t want to wait for a human bride. Having recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, the unidentified man decided to marry a sex doll, instead, claiming that he didn’t want to leave a devastated widow behind.

So, he went ahead and made all his wedding dreams come true–complete with a bride and groom photoshoot and intimate pictures of the “bride” on her big day, makeup and all.

The man spared no expense to make his wedding day as authentic and lavish as any “traditional” wedding. He treated the bride to a beautiful wedding dress, full makeup and hair styling, a flowing reception dress, plus a long veil and even a bejeweled tiara.

If we didn’t know any better, it would be easy to take a quick look at these wedding photos and assume that they were taken on any normal couple’s big day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

She doesn't look that happy.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was going to post this in our I-will-never-understand-China thread, but as this has gained a little traction of late, I'll post this here:
    You know, if the guy has terminal cancer and wants the marriage experience so badly in the short time he has left, then good for him. IMO, he shouldn't be judged negatively for that. I highly doubt there are many women in China (or anywhere else) who would knowingly be with, let alone marry, a young man who has terminal cancer (unless maybe he was rich; but that's another topic). It can be tough enough for some guys who are 100% healthy.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-23-2016 at 08:05 AM.

yo this is fuked up

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

ttt 4 2017

This is kind of sweet and somewhat OT but I wanted to post it somewhere on this forum.

Love of martial arts leads to marital bliss for French woman and her Chinese beau
    Wife is so impressed with her lover’s mastery of wushu she takes lessons in the discipline from his mother
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 June, 2017, 4:33pm
    UPDATED : Monday, 19 June, 2017, 4:33pm
    Laura Zhou

The 26-year-old, identified only as Pauline, met 27-year-old Sun Renzhi at a Chinese culture exhibition in Paris in 2012 where he was performing a martial arts, or wushu, routine, the Yangzhou-based Jiangdu Daily reported.
    Sun, who hails from Yangzhou, a city in eastern China’s Jiangsu province, was a student at a business school in the city at the time, it said.
    The couple’s story came to the attention of the Chinese media after it was featured in a video produced by a Chinese blogger living in Paris, which is where Pauline and Sun also now call home.
    After graduating in 2013, Sun decided to return to China, and Pauline went with him.

The daughter of a French military official said she had never been to China before, but had always been interested in its culture. On the couple’s arrival in Jiangsu she enrolled on a university course to learn Mandarin and help her settle in, the report said.
    But that wasn’t all.
    Pauline said she had been fascinated when she first saw Sun demonstrating his martial arts. However, it was only when she found out that his mother was also an expert and a wushu teacher that she decided to have a go at it herself.
    “As the old saying, when you fall in love with someone, you fall in love with his city too,” Sun’s mother was quoted as saying.
    With their passions now firmly intertwined, the couple tied the knot in Nanjing in 2015, capital of Jiangsu, before returning to France, where they held a marriage ceremony in a small village just outside Paris last July.
    Twelve months on, it’s not just Sun’s physical prowess that impresses his Gallic bride. Pauline said she also loves his sense of humour, confidence, ambition and the respect he always shows her.
    Not that he’s perfect, the report said.
    Despite living in the romance capital of the world, Sun always forgets to buy his wife flowers on Valentines’ Day, she said.
    For his part, Sun said that of all the things he loves about his wife the one trait he finds most attractive is her “independence”.
    “French girls never ask their partners to carry their handbags for them, which I really appreciate,” he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips