Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think people that do kung fu, suck.

I think people that do kung fu, suck.

Oh c'mon, you knew it was coming

Seriously, whats the deal? Every time I walk into a kung fu school, i'm lucky to find a single person who is decent. The rest look about as dumb and awkward as people who dress up for star wars and star trek conventions.

This is in stark contrast to MMA and Boxing gyms. So whats the deal? Is this just a southern california thing?

kung fu has been around for a very long time. during its very young western adoption, kungfu has been exploided and abused by many people.

kungfu isnt alone, many TMA are like this.

MMA is the fundamental training of TMA in a mixed format with a modern scientific approach.

you will find real TMA in the world that is not to far removed from MMA, other than many schools are non merged (meaning only 1 style).

MMA often will have striking, and grappling. Boxing, JKD, Muay Thai, BJJ are pretty common to see.

In a real TMA school, you will often find striking (wc, shaolin, clf, taiji, western boxing, etc. ) you will often find a spattering of stand up grappling in some of these schools. You will also find TMA grappling. (Judo, JJJ, Greco-Roman, american folk wrestling, etc.) Sometimes you will find a spattering of striking in these grappling schools.

you will find as the years add on to your martial arts experience, that its not amatter of style, but a matter of the men practicing the style. most of the guys who 'get it' understand this, and know that there are true fighters ALL across the board, if you go to the right places.

its all about being in the right place at the right time, just like every thing else in life.

take it for what it is.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well big brother Muay Thai is a traditional martial art yet they are kicking ass and taking names. Unlike a few others I can name.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Well big brother Muay Thai is a traditional martial art yet they are kicking ass and taking names. Unlike a few others I can name.
    so are plenty of sanshou guys.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so are plenty of sanshou guys.
    San Da is freefighting but I guess it has developed into its own system now as well.

San Da is probably my favorite ruleset though.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    San Da is freefighting but I guess it has developed into its own system now as well.

San Da is probably my favorite ruleset though.
    one of my favorite things about it is that it is a rule set. people from different arts can compete. you get traditionalists, non traditionalists, mixed artists. its pretty exciting much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Oh c'mon, you knew it was coming

Seriously, whats the deal? Every time I walk into a kung fu school, i'm lucky to find a single person who is decent. The rest look about as dumb and awkward as people who dress up for star wars and star trek conventions.

This is in stark contrast to MMA and Boxing gyms. So whats the deal? Is this just a southern california thing?
    i see some ****s in tapout shirts a lot!.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    i see some ****s in tapout shirts a lot!.
    True I hate them. Musclehead weightlifters that think they are MMA fighters by wearing a ****ing Tapout shirt. It's weak.

Just because you got big arms means jack ****.
    - Yagyū Munenori

kungfu is so beyond sport that to assume that that would be the height of it is ridiculous.

sport is fine and all and a good outlet for young folks to go and be physical. any sport.

But Kungfu is not about sport. It's not about timed matches in a caged octagon, it's not about getting the championship belt or holding the title of worlds best fighter for a day or a week or a year.

Kungfu has many limbs of practice to make a complete person with purpose and intention in their life that can deal with their life in peace and in war.

Do you expect other artists to compete in limited venues? no? then stfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I defintely agree with you, not everyone wants to enter an octagon, fight on a lei tei or even compete in forms competition. kung Fu and Martial Arts as a whole is one of the rare subjects that there is not a set time for an individual to master or complete. Time and work set forth by the individual get the results they are striving for, and it may not be proffesional quality but for something else, weight loss, confidence, etc...
    I have seen many people studying martial arts that are not that great persay but it has impacted them in so many other positive ways. And I have seen this in people studying varieties or different MA. We all have a classmate that is just not up to level with everyone else, who cares he is out there working a enjoying the art with everyone else. What I am saying is just martial arts is about the individual not the style, obseve the good students if you want to see the system at its best, leave the others alone and let them train, who knows what they will be like in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    kungfu is so beyond sport that to assume that that would be the height of it is ridiculous.

sport is fine and all and a good outlet for young folks to go and be physical. any sport.

But Kungfu is not about sport. It's not about timed matches in a caged octagon, it's not about getting the championship belt or holding the title of worlds best fighter for a day or a week or a year.

Kungfu has many limbs of practice to make a complete person with purpose and intention in their life that can deal with their life in peace and in war.

well said, and so true.

there are just too many people that refuse to open their eyes to the actuality of reality. narrowmindedness and an unwillingness to study in depth the things you critisize often force people to live in ignorance about these aspects of the martial arts, and life in general.

I practice Kung Fu and I suck. I am hoping that the "practice" part will lead to me not sucking at some point in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I practice Kung Fu and I suck. I am hoping that the "practice" part will lead to me not sucking at some point in the near future.
    LOL. at least you have humbleness down. and dont worry, practice consistantly, and i garantee that you will get better.

In what context is kungfu "beyond" sport?

So you're saying sports are only good for physical workouts

Kungfu is about fighting.
    You cannot truly learn how to fight, without fighting.
    And the closest thing to a real fight most people will get on a regular basis, is competition. They're extremely beneficial for your understanding of fighting and development of yourself as a fighter.

If you're not interested in fighting, there are plenty of health and spirituality specific classes that would suit you better, and are much cheaper.

Competition is an important part of a "complete person". Competitive drive and spirit is human nature.

Other artists DO compete against eachother. Musicians, Writers, Directors, etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    In what context is kungfu "beyond" sport?

So you're saying sports are only good for physical workouts

Kungfu is about fighting.
    You cannot truly learn how to fight, without fighting.
    And the closest thing to a real fight most people will get on a regular basis, is competition. They're extremely beneficial for your understanding of fighting and development of yourself as a fighter.

If you're not interested in fighting, there are plenty of health and spirituality specific classes that would suit you better, and are much cheaper.

Competition is an important part of a "complete person". Competitive drive and spirit is human nature.

Other artists DO compete against eachother. Musicians, Writers, Directors, etc. etc. etc.

Kung fu is not 'about fighting.' It is much more than that. The benefits that kung fu is meant to give us are so numerous...self defense is a small part of it.
    Honour, respect, loyalty, humility, discipline, perseverance, tolerance, patience, honour, wisdom.