Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite warrior from the past

Your favorite warrior from the past

This is tough. I have so many picks.

well,

I like general Yue Fei who fought Jin in southern Song dynasty.

He was also good at tactics and strategy. He was truely remarkable for his time.

I also like Guan Yu from the three kingdoms.

Some would say the first Emperor of Song--

Well, what would be your pick?

http://www.bokcx.com/jingpin/guangong_a.jpg

Guan Yu.

The weapon he used most is a ultra long spear called Shuo.

Damo's first student who cut off his own arm to prove his worthiness to be taught Chan Buddhism. No one has balls like that
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

General Dwight D Eisenhower.
    After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Eisenhower was assigned to the General Staff in Washington, where he served until June 1942 with responsibility for creating the major war plans to defeat Japan and Germany. He was appointed Deputy Chief in charge of Pacific Defenses under the Chief of War Plans Division, General Leonard T. Gerow, and then succeeded Gerow as Chief of the War Plans Division. Then he was appointed Assistant Chief of Staff in charge of Operations Division under Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall. It was his close association with Marshall that finally brought Eisenhower to senior command positions. Marshall recognized his great organizational and administrative abilities.[31]

In 1942, Eisenhower was appointed Commanding General, European Theater of Operations (ETOUSA) and was based in London. In November, he was also appointed Supreme Commander Allied (Expeditionary) Force of the North African Theater of Operations (NATOUSA) through the new operational Headquarters A(E)FHQ. The word "expeditionary" was dropped soon after his appointment for security reasons. In February 1943, his authority was extended as commander of AFHQ across the Mediterranean basin to include the British 8th Army, commanded by General Bernard Law Montgomery. The 8th Army had advanced across the Western Desert from the east and was ready for the start of the Tunisia Campaign. Eisenhower gained his fourth star and gave up command of ETOUSA to be commander of NATOUSA. After the capitulation of Axis forces in North Africa, Eisenhower remained in command of the renamed Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO), keeping the operational title and continued in command of NATOUSA redesignated MTOUSA. In this position he oversaw the invasion of Sicily and the invasion of the Italian mainland.

Eisenhower speaks with U.S. paratroopers of the 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division on the evening of June 5, 1944.In December 1943, it was announced that Eisenhower would be Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. In January 1944, he resumed command of ETOUSA and the following month was officially designated as the Supreme Allied Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF), serving in a dual role until the end of hostilities in Europe in May 1945. In these positions he was charged with planning and carrying out the Allied assault on the coast of Normandy in June 1944 under the code name Operation Overlord, the liberation of western Europe and the invasion of Germany. A month after the Normandy D-Day landings on June 6, 1944, the invasion of southern France took place, and control of the forces which took part in the southern invasion passed from the AFHQ to the SHAEF. From then until the end of the War in Europe on May 8, 1945, Eisenhower through SHAEF had supreme command of all operational Allied forces2, and through his command of ETOUSA, administrative command of all U.S. forces, on the Western Front north of the Alps.

As recognition of his senior position in the Allied command, on December 20, 1944, he was promoted to General of the Army equivalent to the rank of Field Marshal in most European armies. In this and the previous high commands he held, Eisenhower showed his great talents for leadership and diplomacy. Although he had never seen action himself, he won the respect of front-line commanders. He dealt skillfully with difficult subordinates such as Omar Bradley and Patton, and allies such as Winston Churchill, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery and General Charles de Gaulle. He had fundamental disagreements with Churchill and Montgomery over questions of strategy, but these rarely upset his relationships with them. He negotiated with Soviet Marshal Zhukov[32], and such was the confidence that President Franklin D. Roosevelt had in him, he sometimes worked directly with Stalin, much to the chagrin of the British High Command who disliked being bypassed. During the advance towards Berlin, he was notified by General Bradley that Allied forces would suffer an estimated 100,000 casualties before taking the city. The Soviet Army sustained 80,000 casualties during the fighting in and around Berlin, the last large number of casualties suffered in the war against Nazism.[33][34]

It was never certain that Operation Overlord would succeed. The seriousness surrounding the entire decision, including the timing and the location of the Normandy invasion, might be summarized by a second shorter speech that Eisenhower wrote in advance, in case he needed it. Long after the successful landings on D-Day and the BBC broadcast of Eisenhower's brief speech concerning them, the never-used second speech was found in a shirt pocket by an aide. It read:

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I like this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

but, didn't know anything about him till reading a fictional series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius_series

and then did a little research on the real Belisarius and it turns out he's been featured in fiction writing for a really long time
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Michael Collins
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Liam Neeson in Taken
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

my favorite heros are song jiang and 36 good fellows from yangzi river because ten thousand man song army was afraid to cross yangzi river to catch them
    i also like li guang from han dynasty, he is terror of hunnus they call him the flying general his army fight hunnu horde ten to one
    also chingis khan because he kiled a lot of pepples
    Last edited by bawang; 02-19-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

simo hahay (sp?) a.k.a "the white death"

Finnish sniper credited with over 700 kills.

the dude was smart, he survived having his face blown off as well and lived to a ripe old age.

seriously, this guy is worth admiring as warriors go.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

King Leonidas of Sparta
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Not to be a wet blanket but both Liam Neeson's character in Taken (awesome as he was) and Song Jiang from Shuei Hu were fictional characters.

Oh and Song Jiang was a putz. He wasn't even a warrior, just a mysogenistic bureaucrat. Now... wu song and lu zhishen - there were a couple of warriors!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

song jiang and 36 heros were real people, they were yangzi river robbers near jiangsu
    fictional ones were 108 heros in shandong mountain
    Last edited by bawang; 02-19-2009 at 09:32 AM.

I will defer to you good sir on this issue.

However, based on my shuei hu derived information he was still a putz.
    Simon McNeil

i think he is a bigger hero than all of those big muscle guys
    when stranger or friends are in need, he give silver freely with no second thought, and this was in song dynasty china!! people in china dont even help strangers today!

fictional li kui was awesome though, he fight naked spinning two axes!! and one time he tied a guy to a tree cut off strips from his thighs and roasted them slowly in front of him! surprised face!
    i agree wu song was awesome too, he disembowel the adulteress and sacrifice her organs to his murdered brother, now thats super badass
    Last edited by bawang; 02-19-2009 at 09:41 AM.